You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Way to measure the size of an object?

If the document is set up to be measured in pixels, then the transform panel shows the pixel position number of any bounding box selected corner in move mode, or any node when using the node tool. In the current version of AD, when objects are moved while snapping is on, there will be a small number displayed at the center the snapping lines. That can help getting within a pixel or so w/o using the transform panel controls.

W/o using a grid, you can draw object and give them the exact proportion you may need by changing their sizes w. the transform panel tool.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for the tip but I already know the transform panel, it doesn't give you the size of the object you have selected.

I actually need this to be able to "convert" my designs to CSS, so knowing the pixels dimensions would have been useful. I can try to do more or less the same thing visually but it won't be as precise & quick.

Yea sorry what I meant is that as said in the original post it doesn't give you the distance between several objects for example. What I'm ideally looking for is a king of "ruler" tool. :/

Edit: I can manage to find distances by doing math with the transform panel though. Thanks for your answers!

I’m too lazy to open a complex composition right now to test whether what I’m saying is working but usually, when you have selected an object, hold the Command key (that’s Control in Windows, I believe), and move your mouse over the other object in question it should show the distance between these objects. Alternatively, what I’ve been doing in the past was draw another rectangle between the edges of two objects, look at the dimensions of that shape.

What do you mean? That panel gives you exactly the size of the selected object(s). :huh:

Setting aside the fact that Lucas has now clarified (as mentioned in his OP) that he wants the distance between two objects rather than the size of either one, the Transform panel doesn't actually give you the size of objects drawn with the shape tools. Instead, it gives you the dimensions of the base box, so if you use the Polygon Tool to draw a regular pentagon with a square base box whose width and height are 525 pixels, the Transform panel will display those dimensions, but if you convert to curves you will see that size of the pentagon contained within that box is only 500 px × 475.5 px.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...