You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As far as I can see, the ability to preview exported images is, as yet, only a roadmap item for AD.  It's one of the missing features that will mean I won't purchase the software.

The AD 1.5 blurb at https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/ui-design-software/announces that AD is "the perfect tool for UI and UX design".  But without any way to preview and/or assess the quality of the output images, isn't it difficult to use AD for these purposes?  Seems to me that you have to adopt the trial-and-error approach.

But maybe I've misunderstood how we're expected to work.  What do other users do in the absence of an export preview feature?  

• Staff

As far as I can see, the ability to preview exported images is, as yet, only a roadmap item for AD. It's one of the missing features that will mean I won't purchase the software.

The AD 1.5 blurb at https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/ui-design-software/announces that AD is "the perfect tool for UI and UX design". But without any way to preview and/or assess the quality of the output images, isn't it difficult to use AD for these purposes? Seems to me that you have to adopt the trial-and-error approach.

But maybe I've misunderstood how we're expected to work. What do other users do in the absence of an export preview feature?

There is a constantly available pixel preview mode, but for lossy formats it is clearly not the same.

We also do continuous export, so you can judge the actual files produced in real time.

Perhaps others will explain how this works for them as they use Affinity designer for real work, unlike me.

That roadmap is features that will be in version one...in free updates for all users. All you achieve by not buying it now is not having it earlier. Unless you are waiting to see what sort of implementation we go for, by using a trial.

Now I am aware there may be other things that are stopping a purchase, but please don't let roadmap features cause you to miss out on an early purchase, if you think you could use it in the meantime while waiting.

Perhaps I oversimplify, but some new forum readers may not realise that we have added features in each point release so far.

This is not Windows beta specific, and this forum is really for bug reports. I have moved in to the questions section to see if other users will comment.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

What do other users do in the absence of an export preview feature?  

I must admit that I’m still going back to Fireworks for PNG/JPEG exports for its (in my opinion) still superior export preview and compression functionality. But that didn’t stop me from buying and using AD anyway because despite a few missing features the designing process is way smoother than in Fireworks.

There is a constantly available pixel preview mode, but for lossy formats it is clearly not the same.

We also do continuous export, so you can judge the actual files produced in real time.

Thanks for those tips, Patrick.  I hadn't been aware of continuous export, which is an interesting feature.

Sadly, neither quite does what I need, but I'll keep my eye on what happens with AD as you progress.

• 1 month later...

As far as I can see, the ability to preview exported images is, as yet, only a roadmap item for AD.  It's one of the missing features that will mean I won't purchase the software.

I agree... I really do need this feature. Love the file size calculation in real-time but no way to see if you are saving out JPGs for website what the quality will be until afterward. Finding myself going back in and having to re-save out again.

CMO at Kinsta & blogger and co-founder at forgemedia.

• 1 year later...