You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappointed by AD - perspective drawing

We all are here to comment positive capabilities, as well as complain about lacks.

It's too much time that I'm trying to figure out how to put an icon prototype in perspective. Too much time with Designer, so I tried to go back to the old Illustrator which needed 2 minutes to make what I need.

I'm really disappointed from this very relevant lack in Designer, I cannot understand how I can draw in perspective or change a flat design to a perspective plan.

See attachments: Illustrator CC one is clearly the one in perspective.

post-38278-0-45904100-1477170021_thumb.png

post-38278-0-24885500-1477170034_thumb.png

Unmanned Systems Manager with passion for UX and UI

Apple user since 1988

See attachments: Illustrator CC one is clearly the one in perspective.

well, your Illustrator version is not true perspective either, which would take the actual stroke into account as well. :-P

2ahaypk.png

All jokes aside, I agree it would be very helpful if AD supports keeping the corners consistent. Other applications can do this, and working without this option is a bit of a pain at times.

well, your Illustrator version is not true perspective either, which would take the actual stroke into account as well. :-P

2ahaypk.png

All jokes aside, I agree it would be very helpful if AD supports keeping the corners consistent. Other applications can do this, and working without this option is a bit of a pain at times.

You're right Herbert123, but it's a draft of a draft :)

Anyway, 1. How did you get that result? 2. Do you know a workaround in AD to work in perspective?

Thanks.

Apple user since 1988

1) I created it in an alternative non-Adobe vector/bitmap application that does support both warping/distortion of vector and bitmap images, as well as offers an option to keep the corners consistent. (please refer to earlier posts of mine from a couple of months ago for the name of this application - I have promised the moderators not to mention it or other direct competitors here anymore).

2) No, I encountered the same issue when I first checked out the Mac version of AD: there does not seem to be any way to distort graphics in perspective. Until such a feature is added to the tool set, my use of AD is rather limited.

I had hoped that this would have been added by now - the devs did mention a distortion tool in their road-map about 18 months ago.

Having said all this, I do love the isometric grid options in AD - those are really useful, and I fire up AD at times to get access to those. I do wish they would include a true perspective grid as well, though, and with an option to distort graphics via that grid. That would be an awesome addition.

1) I created it in an alternative non-Adobe vector/bitmap application that does support both warping/distortion of vector and bitmap images, as well as offers an option to keep the corners consistent. (please refer to earlier posts of mine from a couple of months ago for the name of this application - I have promised the moderators not to mention it or other direct competitors here anymore).

You may have promised, but I haven't! Although I've never used it, I think it's a fairly safe bet that you're referring to PhotoLine.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks.

If they said to implement this very important feature 18 months ago, it means it's on the very bottom of their list.

It's a shame because this stop me to buy Affinity Photo. Developers should listen to their customers and implement such important features. We are not talking about something too much difficult to add...

Apple user since 1988

I am in the same boat. I use the distort tools in other applications on an almost daily basis, and I find it a bit odd that such a fundamental function still has not been implemented. It does indeed limit my use of AD at this point.

So strange to see terrific isometric grid options, but no method to distort flat designs in order to align them to those same grids!