rchrdnsh

Global Symbols? A.K.A. Symbols shared between documents?

Hi Everybody,

Symbols are great so far, but is there any way to share symbols between multiple documents? Is that what the assets panel is for?

Thanks!

R

Assets provide a great way to use the same graphic elements in multiple documents but unlike symbols they are not linked, so changing one instance of an asset placed in one document does not change any other instance, either in that document or in any others that use the same asset.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Could you create a document with symbols in and then duplicate the document to use the symbols? Effectively creating a library document as a template.

It would of course be useful to have a global set of symbols that can be changed and synched across documents.

It would of course be useful to have a global set of symbols that can be changed and synched across documents.

How would this work? I might have dozens of documents that used one or more global symbols. If I edited any of them in one document, I may not even remember all the other documents that included them, nor would I necessarily want the edits to be applied globally to all of them.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I'm also looking for the combination of Symbols and Assets, or call it Linked Assets or something like it.

Use case:

I have created a logo that is used in multiple documents.

When changing the logo, all documents where an instance of that logo is used, should be updated.

The updating of those documents should be done when opening a particular document. Of course, this could be accompanied by a message ("Do you want to update linked assets"). This will mitigate the issue brought up by @R C-R

The updating of those documents should be done when opening a particular document. Of course, this could be accompanied by a message ("Do you want to update linked assets"). This will mitigate the issue brought up by @R C-R

It still could be problematic if there are dozens of documents using some combination of the same assets. Consider for example a document that includes not just a linked logo but also several linked ones that you do not want updated for that particular document. To cover that situation, the app would need to provide a way to select which assets to update & which to leave as is.

It could get very complicated.  :unsure:

If someone will found it problematic, should not use it. I wait for something like this. For now I use one document with many artboards, but many times I reach a limit of Designers performance.

I would also like to have that feature. If you add a Symbol to a document and don't want it to sync, you can simply unlink it. It you use lots of global symbols and can't keep track of where they are used, it's a) not much different than having a single document with lots of artboards, and b) it's the users responsibility to not make things overly complicated.

One way to implement this, by the way, would be to allow "Place Image" to link an image instead of embedding it, and refreshing whenever the source file changes. Then, your global symbol would be just a document that contains that symbol only.