You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Curious, Serif used Affinity Designer to create more than one text column and Patrick seems to dislike the concept of sharing functionality between all Affinity apps.

Um... I may be misunderstanding you, but we didn't use Designer to create the book. We used a dtp app PagePlus to make the book.

<Edit>Sorry, yes I understand what you meant now, that example is from the Designer book, my mistake </Edit>

I know Affinity Publisher needs multi-column, optical margin alignment and linked text frames, but I personally feel it's beyond the scope of Affinity Designer. Besides which it's not my call, I'm expressing informed opinion, like you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Um... I may be misunderstanding you, but we didn't use Designer to create the book. We used a dtp app PagePlus to make the book.

<Edit>Sorry, yes I understand what you meant now, that example is from the Designer book, my mistake </Edit>

I know Affinity Publisher needs multi-column, optical margin alignment and linked text frames, but I personally feel it's beyond the scope of Affinity Designer. Besides which it's not my call, I'm expressing informed opinion, like you.

If APu would have been launched in 2015 as announced, Affinity Designer would perhaps have been Affinity Illustrator without the frame text tool for looooong texts (filler text seems to be infinitely). But many people and even Serif are using AD for posters, flyers and more and run into typical typographical errors. The results are not professional (like examples of Neil).

I just did a type heavy one page project and didn't have any problems at all.

But perhaps some readers. And perhaps you used a layout app. Sorry, but the question is not if the layouter has problems. The question is if you need much more time to get the job done in AD because some features of InDesign are missing.

But perhaps some readers. And perhaps you used a layout app. Sorry, but the question is not if the layouter has problems. The question is if you need much more time to get the job done in AD because some features of InDesign are missing.

I used the Affinity apps instead of a layout app which was ok since it was only one page. Did it take me longer then with Adobe because of the missing features? Probably not, absence of bleeds made it unnecessarily difficult but then having photo editing inside of the same layout file made it easier so it probably came out equal to Adobe as far as ease of use is concerned. If Serif would add all the basic (and only basic) layout tools then I would say that the experience could actually be better then Adobe. This is why I want Serif to focus on adding the basics to Photo and Designer instead of rushing out Publisher since I am in greater need of a basic layout tool that uses a single file format then a complex layout tool. I already have a complex layout tool with InDesign so if that is what I need then I just run InDesign.

It seems like people are expecting absolute perfection from version 1.x software which is unreasonable. It should go without saying (but apparently has to be said) when a company throws out their entire graphics suite and starts over from scratch such a project will be a work in progress and miss most of the basic functions. Our focus should be on where the developer is going not where they are currently at. If you need these features today then you should be looking at using software from other companies. I am sure many people here own Serif software and Adobe software for that very reason.

I hope that Publisher doesn't get rush-published. I'd rather have a solid, reliable and dependable app over something half-done, which is what Bohemian Coding and Adobe have been doing. It's the main reason I'm in the process of moving away from Sketch, and the main reason why I also moved away from Adobe.

I'm going to buy Publisher and if the Affinity team ever decide to make a video-editing (montage and effects persona) app, I'm DEFINITELY buying that too.

As for features, I too think that some features should not be cross-app, mostly due to the fact that it would cannibalize into the sales of the other products. Of course, as a customer, I don't mind at all. I think it's awesome !

UI and UX designer extraordinaire, dad, avid Destiny player, and generally striving for decency.

As for features, I too think that some features should not be cross-app, mostly due to the fact that it would cannibalize into the sales of the other products.

I agree with everything in your comment except I don't think price should dictate what features make it into an app. That is the problem with Adobe they have to justify the price of their upgrades or subscription service by pilling on more and more features whether or not it makes sense to add particular features or not. There may be a point where it makes sense for Adobe to slow down development of a product and move onto to another since it will have most the features it needs. 

It seems like people are expecting absolute perfection from version 1.x software which is unreasonable.

“Due in 2015, this publishing thoroughbred will share the precision, speed, quality, and designer-led finesse found in other Affinity titles.”

“… crafted to help professional designers get the very best results on every layout, page, magazine, book, and digital publication, with stunning typography and vibrant colour.”

What do you think what Serif expects people expect after their words?!

What do you think what Serif expects people expect after their words?!

Common sense?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Common sense?

R C-R, it was a rhetorical question for Kip. But OK:

Dump gets more than 40 %, people are killing people, people are reading BILD, people are using AD for type heavy page projects instead of a layout app and think they get quality automatically …

Which common sense?!

Doesn’t matter. Forget the sentence. It was addressed to R C-R.

It doesn't make any sense to me either, but then that is true of many things, so I guess it doesn't matter.

At my age, the only thing getting easier for me to do is forgetting things so forgetting that sentence should be no problem.  :unsure:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have to say that making a clone of InDesign is not our goal; we have our own vision. 

That comment wasn't directed to the staff at Serif (who have proved you are focused on innovating) it was directed at those who are wanting to bring all the Adobe workflows over to Serif. I am very glad the company is coming up with ways to improve the workflows that don't work well as there are plenty of problem spots that need to be fixed.

That comment wasn't directed to the staff at Serif (who have proved you are focused on innovating) it was directed at those who are wanting to bring all the Adobe workflows over to Serif. I am very glad the company is coming up with ways to improve the workflows that don't work well as there are plenty of problem spots that need to be fixed.

You do understand the difference between workflow and functionality, don't you?

Great technique A_B_C! Now Serif just needs to make that feature more obvious so people know that it's there.

I posted in another thread that Serif should do an entire release that focuses on adding basic layout features. It has some good tools already but if they did even one version that focused in this one area they could get pretty close to the ideal setup. For some users the need to rush out Publisher would diminish because some people spend a lot of their time just doing basic layouts and don't require those complex tools. I have InDesign on hand if I need the complex layout features. The focus for a Serif InDesign competitor should mainly be to offer features that Adobe doesn't provide.

You could also just try to use the program over some time so you learn where the functions are -.-

• 3 weeks later...

R C-R, it was a rhetorical question for Kip. But OK:

Dump gets more than 40 %, people are killing people, people are reading BILD, people are using AD for type heavy page projects instead of a layout app and think they get quality automatically …

Which common sense?!

This entire sentence doesn't make any sense. I don't know what you are trying to say at all.

He meant: Donald Trump was elected for POTUS. “BILD” is a German tabloid journalism newspaper equivalend to the New York Post in the USA or the Daily Mirror in the UK. Oval was pointing out that people elect such people and read such crap and asked where to expect common sense from them.

• 6 months later...