You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta (RC2) - 1.5.0.26 (Windows)

It's basically a square crop tool. It will be great if it added "Irregular Crop Tool" option. 

We already have an irregular crop option, Arun, although it's more like the 'Crop to Top/Bottom Object' command that you're used to in DrawPlus. Draw a filled shape on top of the object that you want to crop, go to the Layers panel and drag the new shape's thumbnail on top of the other object's thumbnail. As in DrawPlus, the cropping object remains editable. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The short cut keys  still quit working after a few mins or key strokes,  been having these problems since the start of using AD, the only way it stays working is by using 2 computers, use the ADS on one and the internet for the tuts ,if you run AD and try to do a tut on same computer the short cut keys quit working,, and this is a real pain,( in you know what ) I have sent many help tickets on this issue and still not fixed

The short cut keys  still quit working after a few mins or key strokes,  been having these problems since the start of using AD, the only way it stays working is by using 2 computers, use the ADS on one and the internet for the tuts ,if you run AD and try to do a tut on same computer the short cut keys quit working,, and this is a real pain,( in you know what ) I have sent many help tickets on this issue and still not fixed

I got the impression from your earlier posts that keyboard shortcuts in AD would just stop working for no apparent reason. The fact that it only happens when you're also looking at tuts on the Internet might be an important clue.

Which version of Windows do you have, and what browser are you using? Are these video tutorials on Vimeo and/or YouTube (and if so, does the same problem arise if you watch other videos which are not tutorials)?

Alfred spacer.png

I'm pretty sure that when disabling Aero you are actually disabling hardware acceleration. Turning off DWM (Aero, glass, etc) is just a side effect.

I certainly don't speak for Affinity. But if it were my company, I don't think I'd invest in developing a software rendering solution nearly every computer in use can perform hardware acceleration. Basically every computer built in the last 7-8 years has a CPU with a decent integrated GPU.

Out of curiousity, what version of Windows are you using and why do you disable Aero? Why is this so important to you?

This only affects Windows 7 users because in Windows 8 and above, DWM is always enabled (users cannot disable it as it's a Core service).

• Staff

Hey guys, i was exploring the export persona today and stumbled upon this. When i export the entire page everything is fine, but when exporting slices (batch or one by one) there is no text. Please see the attached image. Is this a setting i need to change or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Clandestine,

My guess is you've selected each rectangle and just clicked 'Create Slice'? This will create a slice and only export out that object (and its children) which is why the text is not exporting. You could nest each text object inside the red/blue area or alternatively group the background and text together and then do a create slice.

You guys NEED to have a search within the font dropdown. It's impossible to even skip to the first letter of the font's name.

The best would be a search bar, when you add like "A" it goes to the beginning of "a..." fonts. Then you write "Ar" and it goes to Arial, etc.

This is the minimal set of the search options!

We do have that functionality, unfortunately it got broken in the most recent release. We'll be sure to fix it soon!

I am rather confused about the subject of this thread, are we talking about the windows the Windows or the Mac versions?

The reason I enquire is that I have been trying to down load this version (AFFINITY DESIGNER PUBLIC BETA 1.5.0.26)  (WINDOWS) (RC2)on a windows 10 system running on an intel i7 but it keeps failng. The previous version downloaded without problem.

I am rather confused about the subject of this thread, are we talking about the windows the Windows or the Mac versions?

The reason I enquire is that I have been trying to down load this version (AFFINITY DESIGNER PUBLIC BETA 1.5.0.26)  (WINDOWS) (RC2)on a windows 10 system running on an intel i7 but it keeps failng. The previous version downloaded without problem.

Hi, it sounds like you might have a problem with your internet connection. There shouldn't be any problems downloading the latest beta from the link in the post at the start of this thread.

Hi Mark,

I reported an issue of AF Windows icons in Beta 12 going into a high contrast-like mode in a remote desktop session https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23847-affinity-designer-public-beta-15012-windows/?p=112632

The issue is still not fixed and we are in RC2.  Any chance this would be fixed before release??  This will really help some of us.

Cheers,

Nana

Hi Mark,

I reported an issue of AF Windows icons in Beta 12 going into a high contrast-like mode in a remote desktop session https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23847-affinity-designer-public-beta-15012-windows/?p=112632

The issue is still not fixed and we are in RC2.  Any chance this would be fixed before release??  This will really help some of us.

Cheers,

Nana

Hi Nana, unfortunately no, this issue won't be fixed ahead of release. We are concentrating on fixing issues which affect the majority of users, and as far as I can tell, the number of people who will be using the application via remote desktop is going to be very small. Also, the icons only look strange when they're disabled. When the buttons become enabled, they look normal. This is actually a problem with remote desktop itself, not with our application.

Thanks Mark.  Pardon my limited windows knowledge but how does one enable the icons in a remote desktop session .  Perhaps, that is all that I need. If you can please point me to it, that will be great.

Cheers,

Nana

As in, the tool buttons are enabled when you create a new document, or some of the toolbar buttons enable when you make a selection etc.

It's something the program controls automatically to indicate that tool's availability, not something you can change. So the available ones look right, and the unavailable ones don't.

Sometimes name of text object is not updated in layers panel after changing text. Toggling visibility helps.

The layer thumbnail of a group with a text object within sometimes doesn't update after changing text as well. Or is slow to update, because when I check later the layer thumbnail is updated.

• Staff

Are you going to improve the font selector? it's not easy find a font when you have a bunch of fonts

oscararnulfo,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

This will be fixed yes, the lead developer of the Windows version Mark said this below earlier in this very thread.

We do have that functionality, unfortunately it got broken in the most recent release. We'll be sure to fix it soon!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I got the impression from your earlier posts that keyboard shortcuts in AD would just stop working for no apparent reason. The fact that it only happens when you're also looking at tuts on the Internet might be an important clue.

Which version of Windows do you have, and what browser are you using? Are these video tutorials on Vimeo and/or YouTube (and if so, does the same problem arise if you watch other videos which are not tutorials)?

I have windows 10, 64 bit. I use both firefox and google chrome works the same on either browsers. The tuts I get from AD it there tuts some are video and some are written tuts.

I have windows 10, 64 bit. I use both firefox and google chrome works the same on either browsers. The tuts I get from AD it there tuts some are video and some are written tuts.

I'm also on 64-bit Windows 10, and I'm currently using Firefox. As it happens, my keyboard shortcuts stopped working earlier today, but I wasn't aware of doing anything unusual apart from keeping Affinity Designer running (often in the background) for several hours.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

I think tutorials and browsers is a red herring myself

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I think tutorials and browsers is a red herring myself

I'm inclined to think so too, Patrick. I was just trying to pin down whatever else might be going on here.

Alfred spacer.png

When the shortcut keys stop working, can you type text in the application? i.e. Can you use the Artistic Text Tool?

I just downloaded and installed the latest beta release of Affinity Designer for Windows and I'm experiencing crashes more often compared to the previous version...  Anyone else experiencing this issue...?

While I was using the transparency tool, the computer locked up - the HDD light was on steady; not blinking - then once it "unlocked" the program crashed and the HDD light went off then only flickered now and again like it usually does...  I clicked the "Debug" button, but only got an error message...

I am in the process of trying to recreate the problem but when the program is running, then locks up as noted, I have to wait...  Once I can recreate the problem I will grab some screenshots and other detailed information...

I suppose, too, that maybe I need to upgrade my computer to a faster "graphics computer"...?  Don't know if that is part of the issue, though...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." john lennon