You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lost colour palette and...

I have somehow zoomed into my screen while using designer and in the process wound up with nothing showing but weird measurements around the edge which go on to the right of my screen for some length. I have managed to get the tools back on the left but I can't find how to get all that is normally displayed on the right, colour palette,etc.

I have tryed factory reset but nothing happens.  

Any help getting rid of the weird measurement around the edge and getting my colour palette, etc back would be great as designer is now unusable.

thanks in advance.

What my screen looks like now.

Screen_Shot_2016_10_20_at_14_42_01.png

Affinity photo 1.8.3   Affinity Designer  1.8.3   Affinity publisher 1.8.3 

iMac (Retina 4k,21.5-inch,late 2015) 3.3GHZ Intel core i7, Intel Iris pro Graphics 6200 1536, 16 GB Ram. (not a Mac snob)

No idea how I did it but I must have hid the studio somehow, went to View/studio/hide studio, the hide studio was ticked, so I un-ticked it and it's all back to normal...phew....

Thanks for your help.

Affinity photo 1.8.3   Affinity Designer  1.8.3   Affinity publisher 1.8.3 

iMac (Retina 4k,21.5-inch,late 2015) 3.3GHZ Intel core i7, Intel Iris pro Graphics 6200 1536, 16 GB Ram. (not a Mac snob)

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Rod,

Try holding Ctrl when you launch the app and then click Clear when prompted. This is the quickest way of resetting the interface back to defaults. Sometimes the Studio reset doesn't do everything. Let me know how you get on.

6 hours ago, RoderickAyres said:

Hi. I am missing tools which should show up in my Tools palette. I've looked all around but no result.

Before doing anything else, I suggest using the View menu > Customize Tools... item (not Customize Toolbar ...) to see if you can simply drag the missing tools back into the tools panel, or use the "Reset" button at the bottom to return to the factory defaults.

Be advised that the Ctrl clear method with 'clear all' selected will wipe out every custom user setting, including your preferences, custom brush categories, etc. -- it is the "nuclear" option that returns everything to factory defaults.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
53 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Be advised that the Ctrl clear method with 'clear all' selected will wipe out every custom user setting, including your preferences, custom brush categories, etc. -- it is the "nuclear" option that returns everything to factory defaults.

Only if you tick the box for brushes etc. Leaving the 3 standard boxes checked should only reset the user defaults and the studio layout. But yes, be careful not to 'Select All'.

51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Leaving the 3 standard boxes checked should only reset the user defaults and the studio layout.

True, but the Clear User Defaults option still 'nukes' more than I would like, particularly the toolbar customizations I have made (which can't be saved to be reloaded afterwards) & some of the preferences settings like disabling automatically hiding extensions, locking the background layer on import, & several others that I always want to be different from the factory defaults. Because they appear in different application preference categories, it is more of a chore to get everything back to what I want than I would like.

Because of this, I am unwilling to resort to clearing my user defaults unless it is absolutely necessary.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 years later...

is there a way in "Photo" to change the default value of a given tool....e.g. brush size in the brush tool or clone brush tool to set the aligned source to "all layers.  a slightly more difficult choice would occur  when you iuse the pixel selection to  creat would be really nicete a spare channel.  I almost always rename the spare channel at that point.  It would awfully nice to have a "choice" check box at  that point to rename the layer.  Just a nice time saver for not having to reselect the spare channel and have to then make the rename selectionwhen new versions 

another thought is that I always update  I changes have occured i have trouble finding what new versions appear.. But is there a list of what has changed in the program

Love the program otherwise

Jerry

19 minutes ago, JerryYachats said:

is there a way in "Photo" to change the default value of a given tool....e.g. brush size in the brush tool or clone brush tool to set the aligned source to "all layers. 

Generally, no.

19 minutes ago, JerryYachats said:

But is there a list of what has changed in the program

At major versions (e.g., 1.8, 1.9, 1.10) you might try the Help, which has a section in the introduction that discusses major changes.

Beyond that, you can check the Release Notes, which you find in the News & Information forum here in the first post of Latest Affinity Releases on Each Platform by Store. You can also Follow that topic to be notified when it is updated with news about new releases.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1