You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you upgrade from 1.4.3 to 1.5?

The way it works is this. After a purchase is made, the buyer has the advantage to run the beta of the next release. The betas are accessible here on the forum. Previous buyers can experiment with each next beta until they reach the final stages.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi swidstn,

Welcome to the forums.

if you have just purchased Affinity Designer from the Mac App Store the version you downloaded will be the current build and won't require updating. If you purchased it some time ago, make sure your logged into the same account as used to purchase it and then select the Updates section at the top.

You also have access to the beta of Designer, the Store version has to remain installed while you use the betas.

If you purchased it some time ago, make sure your logged into the same account as used to purchase it and then select the Updates section at the top.

I didn't know this. As one of the staff members explained it to me, I understood that the betas of the next version are what counted as the free updates (until they reach completion). What updates are users entitled to after a purchase of a previous version? And how will Windows users install them since Windows has a different app store?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm hoping that the update for photo won't be to long so I can once again use both the designer and photo apps together, because at the moment, after updating designer, it's file doesn't work with photo, which is disapointing.

Affinity photo 1.8.3   Affinity Designer  1.8.3   Affinity publisher 1.8.3 

iMac (Retina 4k,21.5-inch,late 2015) 3.3GHZ Intel core i7, Intel Iris pro Graphics 6200 1536, 16 GB Ram. (not a Mac snob)

I guess I'm a little confused. When I bought it on the Apple App Store it was 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 came automatically through the App store. Is 1.5 a paid update or really only in Beta at this time? I had the impression it was a released product that would automatically update. Can some one clarify what the status of 1.5 is? Thank you.

• Staff

Hi swldstn,

Affinity Designer 1.5.1 is a "released product" and you should be able to update to it thought the Mac App Store. If the update is not appearing for you you can try to sign-out then sign-in again in the Mac App Store (assuming you are using the same Apple ID you used to purchase it in the Mac App Store) or if it still doesn't appear after that, you can drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash (and empty it) then reinstall again from the Mac App Store. It will pick/install the latest version available (1.5.1).

Im not able to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5 through the app store. I know this has been asked a few times but after trying all methods suggested here, I'm still not given the option to upgrade from the app store.

I have this app on my MacBook and iMac. Purchased in January of this year. 

• Staff

Hi RodB,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Assuming you are signed-in with the same Apple ID you used to purchase the application, have you tried to drag Designer from the Applications folder to the Trash, empty it then reinstall it again from the Mac App Store app? It should install the latest version (1.5.1).

MEB, yes I have have several times in fact. I then proceed to the app store and view my purchases and reinstall Affinity Photo and the same result, there is not an option to update the program. You know what they say about people who continue to do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result!

Now this is clearer. I didn't realize there was a difference between Designer and Photo.  I guess we will just half to wait for the update to Photo. Thanks to everyone for getting to the correct answer.

Steve

Hi Steve,

There is also a third product in the works; Publisher, but it might still be a while until it is released.

• 11 months later...

I purchased a Mac with Affinity Photo 1.4.1 installed, and I'd like to get version 1.5. But, 1.4.1 was installed under the previous owner's Apple ID, which I don't have of course, so I can't upgrade.

How can I get the upgrade I'm entitled to?

5 minutes ago, HRS said:

How can I get the upgrade I'm entitled to?

You are not entitled to any updates -- all licenses for apps sold through the Mac App Store ("MAS") are non-transferrable, meaning the original buyer cannot transfer the license to anyone else. Technically, anyone selling a Mac is in violation of the licensing provisions if they leave any MAS apps on it.

If you want to use the app in compliance with the licensing terms, you need to buy your own license.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well said. I was going to say, I didn't have any non-Apple products preinstalled when I first bought my Mac. Everything was just what comes with the operating system.

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

Well said. I was going to say, I didn't have any non-Apple products preinstalled when I first bought my Mac. Everything was just what comes with the operating system.

Apple provides a support article explaining what owners should do before selling or giving away their Mac. Step 7 is Reformat your hard drive and reinstall macOS, which not only removes all software besides whatever comes preinstalled with the OS, it also installs a fresh copy of the OS. This removes anything the original owner might have done that the new owner might not be aware of, including system level preferences, hacks, & most importantly any malware or spyware that might have been installed by accident or on purpose.

So if there are any indications the former owner did not do the reformat & reinstall, it is an extremely good idea for the new owner to do this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

You are not entitled to any updates -- all licenses for apps sold through the Mac App Store ("MAS") are non-transferrable, meaning the original buyer cannot transfer the license to anyone else. Technically, anyone selling a Mac is in violation of the licensing provisions if they leave any MAS apps on it.

If you want to use the app in compliance with the licensing terms, you need to buy your own license.

Well, I haven't read the fine print of the licensing agreement, so I won't dispute R C-R on this.

There may be some legal distinction between 1) transferring a license to someone else and 2) selling a computer with the license to another person (my situation), but that's not to be litigated here. Still, many other programs have a "check for updates" feature that doesn't require proof that I'm still the person who bought the original program.

That said, the used Mac I bought also had a full Microsoft Office license, and that set of programs still works even though I suppose the license was effectively "transferred" to me.

2 minutes ago, HRS said:

There may be some legal distinction between 1) transferring a license to someone else and 2) selling a computer with the license to another person (my situation), but that's not to be litigated here.

Almost all software licenses include terms & conditions for their use. If the license stipulates that it is non-transferable, it means exactly that -- the license cannot be transferred to anybody else without violating its terms & conditions, period. Typically, such licenses include a clause stimulating that if the T&C are violated in any way, the license is automatically revoked. They also generally include a clause that requires agreeing with all the T&C to use the license.

Basically, this means the original owner was never granted any rights to sell the new owner his or her license to begin with, & if the new owner uses the software then neither party has a valid license. Technically, using unlicensed software is piracy but the legal issues & potential liabilities vary according to whatever laws the buyer and/or seller are subject to.

Affinity Photo 

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Almost all software licenses include terms & conditions for their use. If the license stipulates that it is non-transferable, it means exactly that -- the license cannot be transferred to anybody else without violating its terms & conditions, period. Typically, such licenses include a clause stimulating that if the T&C are violated in any way, the license is automatically revoked. They also generally include a clause that requires agreeing with all the T&C to use the license.

Basically, this means the original owner was never granted any rights to sell the new owner his or her license to begin with, & if the new owner uses the software then neither party has a valid license. Technically, using unlicensed software is piracy but the legal issues & potential liabilities vary according to whatever laws the buyer and/or seller are subject to.

So, I could loan my other Mac (for which I purchased Affinity Photo) to someone else, while still retaining ownership--in perpetuity or even just for an hour-- and I guess I've violated the license agreement during that time.

I hope Affinity doesn't track me down!!

31 minutes ago, HRS said:

So, I could loan my other Mac (for which I purchased Affinity Photo) to someone else, while still retaining ownership--in perpetuity or even just for an hour-- and I guess I've violated the license agreement during that time.

No, that is not the case. The licence permits other people to use the software, as long as it is only installed on one machine and the licensee is the only person who uses it for commercial purposes. You can alternatively install the software on multiple machines, but you would then be the only person licensed to use it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

39 minutes ago, HRS said:

I hope Affinity doesn't track me down!!

I doubt Serif has any interest in doing that. But it remains true that if you want to use any later version of Affinity Photo, including all of the many feature that have been added since v1.4.3, you still will need to buy your own license for it.

Also, I can't remember if the file format changed between v1.4.3 & v1.5, but we know that it does for v1.6 (because the customer betas include that), so if you do not buy a license you won't be able to open most Affinity files posted here or elsewhere that are using a newer format. That applies to both Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer files -- they share a common native file format so either app can open documents created in the other one, as long as they use the same version of the format.

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

... so either app can open documents created in the other one, as long as they use the same version of the format.

Or an earlier one, of course. Many users have already come up against this problem in relation to files saved from Affinity Photo for iPad, because the retail release of that app is at version 1.6 but the retail releases of the desktop apps are still at version 1.5.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Basically, when it comes to preinstalled software, it all depends on the licensing agreement. I wouldn't say you are at fault, HRS. It is who ever prepared your new computer who should've read the fine print. (And I don't mean for that to sound mean. I am just saying as some policies may indicate. It's a mistake we all make, and I have certainly done it too.)

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

Apple provides a support article explaining what owners should do before selling or giving away their Mac. Step 7 is Reformat your hard drive and reinstall macOS, which not only removes all software besides whatever comes preinstalled with the OS, it also installs a fresh copy of the OS. This removes anything the original owner might have done that the new owner might not be aware of, including system level preferences, hacks, & most importantly any malware or spyware that might have been installed by accident or on purpose.

So if there are any indications the former owner did not do the reformat & reinstall, it is an extremely good idea for the new owner to do this.

I love how Apple has that policy. Just today, a lady was talking to me about how she got a new Windows computer, and she was upset about all of the preinstalled programs that came with it like Norton, Games, and I don't know what else.