You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

In LibreOffice I have the option to embed the fonts used in creating a document in the document file (for those interested, you'll find it under the "font" tab in the file properties).  This has as advantage that someone else working on that document can also work with the fonts used without having to explicitly install them - they remain contained in the document and are only available there.

Would it be possible to have such also available for AD and AP?  If not, is there a way to get a list of fonts used so it can be checked if they are available at any other party involved in the workflow?

Thnx !  :)

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Font issue is normally solved by Package-command, i.e. app builds a folder where are document with images and fonts needed. Embed would be simpler to use, but quite different/unusual way of dealing this. I personally prefer to fight font issues with font manager (though ofter I am fighting font manager, instead...)

The issue with building font packages is that that leaves behind fonts which creates issues with copyrights - fonts are often bought.

By making it part of a file you create a container where the font can only be used in that document, but cannot be extracted for use elsewhere.  That is IMHO not only better to prevent licensing issues, but it also ensures you don't clutter up a machine with more and more fonts and it helps with the Mac vs Windows issue which each have different default font packages.

I guess what I'm looking at is making AD/AP documents independent of the machine they're edited on, the sort of portability that extends beyond company borders.  It makes collaborative work so much easier!

Regards, Binc

Embedding fonts in a document can lead to document corruption. Seen it happen.

But as regards licensing, check your licenses. Likely they do not include the ability to include more than a subset (those characters already used in a document). As well, use by someone without a license, no matter whether fully embedded or subsetted, is against any paid-for font license I have read.

As for working collaboratively, pick fonts that are OpenSource and everyone can simply download the same fonts regardless of OS.

Yes, we eventually ended up opting for Open Source fonts as well (exactly because of licensing), but it still leaves possible installation needs.  If there's no embedding it would be good if there was a way to extract a list of font assets in use.

Thanks for the discussion!

Regards, Binc