Sign in to follow this  
Tim Gummer

Twitchy Cloning

AD is always very 'generous' in creating extra elements when I never asked for them.  

This is without option dragging or duplicating as a command.

Result is I go to move something there are 3 copies underneath. Or because of the same... apparent transparency get's thickened up when i don't want.

I've been getting this since the earliest version (I'm an early AD adopter), just put up with it but now we're 1.5 - really this shouldn't be happening

Can this be fixed soon please, or is there something I may be doing to create it?

(Running on El Capitan.)

PS: I've heard there are other posts on this in bug but I haven't been able to find them

one planet, one chance

Hiya Tim,

AD shouldn't be creating any extra elements unless told to, so are you able to identify at what point in your workflow these extra elements are being created? 

There was a similar ish issue raised on our Windows Beta forum where a user was holding down cmd+Mouse1 for 3-4 seconds, then when releasing Mouse1 it would create a duplicate object. This was down to the way we handle drag events. Does that sound like something you may have been doing?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Truth is - that I just can't find any pattern.  Sorry to be so late following up but I have been looking for cause > effect and not finding colleration!  So no single reproducable set of steps to recreate this issue - though its very common for me, and as i understand also happens for others.  

The only common element is it tends to be in relatively complex layups with a lot of layers generally.  I don't believe I'm inadvertantly applying modifier keys - I do use shift quote a bit to constrain  / unconstrain.  I use option a lot when i'm intentionally cloning.  that's it.

But it really does drive me crazy: I'll be about to output a pdf and see badly aliased text - then find that's because it's cloned 3-4 times, then the filled curve behind is cloned a dozen times.  This is No way to work and it's plaguing my most important projects.

What to do next?

one planet, one chance

Hi,

I have a suspicion that this is caused by a fairly long standing bug.. if you Option-Drag to clone, then choose to undo, you will need to undo two times (once for the clone, and once for the ensuing drag).

We once thought that this behaviour was a good idea - we were wrong! I'll see if I can get it fixed..

Hope this helps,

Andy.

PLEASE! This one has been driving me nuts for a long time, having to spend time cleaning up layers and objects. Thanks Andy

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

2018 11" iPad Pro 256 GB, latest iPadOS public beta

That's really helpful to know Andy - and yes, like Ronny this is driving me  / has driven me around the bend.  Its the biggest productivity killer I know. Even more than social media! Please do make it a priority - it's well past time it was fixed.

one planet, one chance

This is a nasty little 'Option copy=triplicate objects' bug, still applies to AD 1.5.4

eg create business card with say outline, 6 lines of text, one background image & one logo > group objects in card > align to your cutting grid > option copy group to right x 3 & then all down x 4 & YIKES !! The whole page is in triplicate over each other & the printed finish is trash.

Here's work around a) DO NOT OPTION COPY in AD, use 'Command J' & then move objects to right > align perfectly in one move(important) > then repeat Command J to copy & move object > select 3 object groups or cards (in this case) and duplicate 'Command J' move down and again make it snap to your carefully positioned guides, then repeat 'Command J' 2 times for 4 rows. This produces one layer of objects!

work around b) create biz card > group & create a symbol from this ... repeat as above for copying ... this is useful because if you want to tweak adjust one card design, they all change (almost at any rate, bit buggy this, ie images have to be deleted independently, that's another bug report though) ....

lesson here : do not option drag to duplicate in AD, it's very unpredictable.

hope this helps someone, drove me crazy for two hours to get this card printed correctly.  :unsure:

Thanks rsi.studio - cmd j and then constrain is a decent workaround WHILE THIS FINALLY GETS FIXED.

i'm still cleaning up gunked up files - with LOTs of  10x clones.

For the devs - I have noticed this appears to happen sometimes if the rendering is slow and I'm just moving elements.

Its a very circular issue cos the rendering is sometimes slow because of hundreds of unwanted clones.

But if for whatever reason… sometimes the rendering is v slow, cloning can occur.  IN my case I think it's mostly the main bug, but somtimes a move that renders very slow - will create a clone.

one planet, one chance

I managed to replicate the behaviour using Andy's explanation above, ie undo an Option duplicated/move. This goes some way in showing where the trigger hibernates for overlaid triplicated or quadruplicated and so on objects. Anyhoo, today I made cards using Option drag without any undos and the design was fine .... having said that, I would stick to using a grid/guides then duplicate using Command J, then moving the copy, using snapping etc. That way an undo triggers no replications.

seasonal greetz to all who want them :P