You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ash

• Staff

Lee Rabideau,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Did you buy the book from Serif Affinity Store, or through Amazon website?

I understand that Serif are dispatching Canadian orders from our UK offices with Canadian importation tax paid. If you bought through affinity.store site then I don't understand your book being stickered for tax. Can you please give me an order number to look at this next week.

If it's an order directly from the Amazon website, then I think this may be normal for books from the US dispatching depot, and as you say, buyer beware.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

so mine arrived a few days back but I just came home so I only got a quick view yet

- looks nice

- downloading the files separately is definitely a pain **** (nine folders, is that correct?)

- pretty hefty (feels really nice but is a bit cumbersome to actually read)

- hopefully get´s me a bit more into designing/ modeling something with vectors and explore that part of design besides photography  :lol:

thanks to all the professional designers collaborating for that book  B)

- downloading the files separately is definitely a pain **** (nine folders, is that correct?)

There's one for each of the five illustration projects and four design projects, but there's also one for the Core Skills chapter.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

I will ask, but I think that a duty paid reciept should help somehow. Did it have a separate Invoice/receipt?

Is the tax "pay on receipt" or do you have to pay it after delivery?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I ordered the book on Thursday it stil stands on pending, is this normal ,do you get any information when the book is shipped out ,

thanks 

Paul

I ordered mine last week Friday and it got dispatched this week on Tuesday (I received an email from the Affinity store), the website still has my order as pending - and the status hasn't changed for 3 days.

Some other buyers have mentioned that they received their books but the order was still pending on their account.

Some other buyers have mentioned that they received their books but the order was still pending on their account.

I'm one of those! My copy was delivered shortly after midday on October 25th (i.e. four days ago) but I've just logged in to my account and found that the order status is still showing as 'Pending'.

Alfred spacer.png

I will ask, but I think that a duty paid reciept should help somehow. Did it have a separate Invoice/receipt?

Is the tax "pay on receipt" or do you have to pay it after delivery?

Yup I still have the receipt ..it is separate. We have to pay it first before DHL release the item. Let me know if you need the receipt I'll send a copy to you..

Hi! I tried to order the book from your store but at payment the transaction was blocked by your payment processor (I talked with my bank and they did not received any request from your store/payment processor. All my cards are enrolled to use 3D secure payments). Then I go to Amazon.de to order it and they say it is not in stock... Any solution? Thanks!

How many features are covered in this book? All, 90%, 50%... just aproximatelly.

BTW, I bought it and because it can't be delivered in Macedonia, I had to redirect it to Sweden (to my son's address).  :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

Hi Clark,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no basic version of Affinity. Affinity is the name of a new suite of software for Windows and Mac and is currently composed by two programs:

- Affinity Designer for graphic/web/ui design and illustration/painting

- Affinity Photo for Raw conversion/development and image editing/painting.

The Designer Workbook is the official guide for Affinity Designer, currently available for purchase on the Mac and still in development (Beta) for Windows.

Affinity Photo is only available for purchase for Mac. The Beta (development) version for Windows is not available yet.

I´m 3/4 through the book and have noted down some issues which I´d like to post to some dev/ moderator, which one should I choose?

like missing things or I think one thing that´s plain wrong like AD has no 16bit CMYK as advertised on page 5....

The beginning has many missing hints IMO and I wish Paolo would have given more details about WHY to choose certain settings rather than just giving numbers.

Pockedstudio is pure insanity, that is what I call skill, really impressive and absolutely a goal for me, probably not in the very near future though! 

The wine cellar is nice and Paolo does great drawings of course...and the cover is really great but that one from pockedstudio blows me away in particular skill-wise (not a big fan of the image itself but it´s just impressive to me how it´s done).

My takeaway as of yet is that as a beginner you probably better watch the official videos - I like them much better than the introduction of the book.

cheers 

Pockedstudio is pure insanity, that is what I call skill, really impressive and absolutely a goal for me, probably not in the very near future though! 

The wine cellar is nice and Paolo does great drawings of course...and the cover is really great but that one from pockedstudio blows me away in particular skill-wise (not a big fan of the image itself but it´s just impressive to me how it´s done).

2D images are just the beginning - his more complicated works use 3D modelling using blender. Amazing stuff. What's interesting is that he started out learning graphic design in his late 20s and didn't get into this kind of illustration well into his 30s - so it just shows that this kind of stuff can be learned at any age!!!!

• Staff

I´m 3/4 through the book and have noted down some issues which I´d like to post to some dev/ moderator, which one should I choose?

Email me pconnor at serif dot com

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

You can order it from amazon...just got mine today. Had to pay taxes and duties though,..but it's worth it!  :)

Yup I still have the receipt ..it is separate. We have to pay it first before DHL release the item. Let me know if you need the receipt I'll send a copy to you..

I finally got through to the store on a different browser, Safari on the Mac OS X 10.8.5 would not work.  I ordered the book.  I am in Canada, and should have the book by today if the DHL delivery folks are correct.  

The book cost me a total of $82.00 Canadian with shipping, duty and taxes.  It was shipped from the UK through the United States then on to Canada, hence the ridiculous duty and taxes - it's a book, why the extra charges?  I am hoping it is worth the money.  Thanks in advance Serif.

Buyer beware, Canada, my book came iinand I was dinged $19.94 duty by DHL. I was never informed about this #stickershock.

It would appear that some (though not most) Canadian deliveries have wrongly been charged import duty. Serif have already paid it, so we are looking into why this is happening. As you may understand this is not what we expected from the delivery process. 

Can any buyer in Canada whose book was charged extra Import tax/duty on delivery please contact affinityorders@serif.com, with details of your order number and the duty charge, for a full refund of that charge.

Sorry that this has happened. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

I'm one of those! My copy was delivered shortly after midday on October 25th (i.e. four days ago) but I've just logged in to my account and found that the order status is still showing as 'Pending'.

We would like this to be looked into before the next roll-out of shop code, can you please let me know your order number Alfred and I will put it into our database to be addressed.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Hi! I tried to order the book from your store but at payment the transaction was blocked by your payment processor (I talked with my bank and they did not received any request from your store/payment processor. All my cards are enrolled to use 3D secure payments). Then I go to Amazon.de to order it and they say it is not in stock... Any solution? Thanks!

I'd recommend emailing us at affinityorders@serif.com to get a direct response from the guys who manage this. We are planning on releasing the workbook in German which is why the workbook isn't available yet. If you want it in German, you should hold out for a few months until it has been translated.  

We would like this to be looked into before the next roll-out of shop code, can you please let me know your order number Alfred and I will put it into our database to be addressed.

Thanks, Patrick. I've just sent you a PM.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi All,

For a number of months now behind the scenes we have been producing a workbook for Affinity Designer, and I'm pleased to let you know it is available from today!

This is a big book - 448 pages, in hardback - and it includes fantastic projects created by some top designers, as well as a comprehensive reference to all our tools and panels, and a set of core skills tutorials.

You can find more information about it here.

Usual price is $49.99 / £37.99, but we are running a 20% discount for the launch making it only $39.99 / £29.99 (+ shipping and handling).

It's worth pointing out that right now the book is only available in English but we do plan to do a German version which should be available towards the end of the year.

Hope you like it!

Thanks,

Ash

Hi, I'm so glad to you published the book as there is not much info or courses on the software, anything other than just experiment with it by yourself. I am getting tired of adobe workflow and the subscription. The holy trilogy of Sketch, Affinity Designer and Pixelmator really helps me to consider dropping Adobe eventually.

Hoping to become proficient after finishing the book, I really like how the software works so far, it's kind of difficult to get used to some things. And also, the environment does not change that easily... so I'm still hearing the tendency of 90's instructors "If you don't use Illustrator you're not professional", from people that never used even 20% of what's it is capable of and from people brought up on video training of sort: "Good afternoon. My name is Jonatan and I am professional C++ Developer. Today, in this 50+ hour course I will tell you the beginning of my life and what schools I finished. I was born...".

Thank you guys for your work.