I also have the Affinity Designer workbook which is very well done, excellent design and very educative. With all respect for the ebook (which I prefer to read on my ereader above a printed version) but in this case an ebook will not do justice to the present printed book.

ebook formatting is too limited and will never come close to the layout of the Designer printed book.

Hey, I am considering buying the workbooks. I was wondering though, to what extend they are still up to date and usable? It's been a while since their release after all and the software has had multiple updates over that period. Or is an update planned perhaps?

5 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

I also have the Affinity Designer workbook which is very well done, excellent design and very educative. With all respect for the ebook (which I prefer to read on my ereader above a printed version) but in this case an ebook will not do justice to the present printed book.

ebook formatting is too limited and will never come close to the layout of the Designer printed book.

If one desires to have a pixel-perfect representation of a physical book/layout, that is what fixed layout eBooks are for.

Otherwise look at eBooks like a web site presented for a desktop and a mobile phone. The mobile layout is typically a "dumbed-down" version of the same desktop layout. There's nothing wrong with the reformat for the small screen for a web site nor for eBook readers.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

4 hours ago, Ecifircas said:

I was wondering though, to what extend they are still up to date and usable?

Workbook is not a datasheet or manual, but a description of the procedures and the way of solving some problems.

These are usually general, and not for specific version.

Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104, Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803, Build 17134.112.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

The workbook was launched with the 1.6 features set, and no new features have been added since. They may slowly be slightly out of date, but right now the workbooks  are both completely up to date. 

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Many subjects in the Designer workbook will never go out of date in my opinion. With every update of Designer, new features will be added. These updates will not be found in the Designer workbook for obvious reasons.

Maybe it is a good idea that besides those basic workbooks which contain extensive information and guidelines, Serif publish additional workbooks lets say every year (as example) which contain the new features and guidelines. Like in my case, I have the basic workbook so to keep up to date i have to buy the additional publications. Maybe Serif will consider this suggestion.

@MikeW

I can be wrong but in my opinion fixed layout ebooks are not working. My ereader has a 7 inch screen. Can you imagine having to scroll horizontally and vertically to read the text? Also my ereader has 16 shades of gray which is not much to represent the hugh color pallet of the workbooks. I admit it should be nice if I can read the workbook on my ereader when I cannot access the workbook. I found a solution by creating a kind of knowledge ebook which contain the most interested subjects of the workbook. In this way I have a kind of memorizing when I cannot access the physical workbook. On an airplane an ereader is surely a very handy device.

With the limited alignment features on ebooks, I still believe it is not a good idea to convert the books for ereaders. However when using a tablet and the possibility to place images and text in alignment with each other I completely agree with you.

For anybody still interested in those workbooks, it seems they become scarcely available on Amazon. So I think anybody interested should act fast. They are both really worth the value. I really do hope for successors which keeps them periodically up to date.

Chris

13 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The workbook was launched with the 1.6 features set, and no new features have been added since. They may slowly be slightly out of date, but right now the workbooks  are both completely up to date. 

The Designer Workbook was launched along with the 1.5 release, but, as you said, it's still good with the current retail version.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art