You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ash

• Staff
9 hours ago, jesh said:

Is it possible to has combine shipping option for ordering 2 workbooks? It's sad Malaysia is not included, but I can shipping to my sister who working in Singapore.

Email AffinityOrders@serif.com, I now understand that they are reducing the postage on the second book to 50% and we swallow the cost difference as the distribution is still sent as 2 individual orders, but it requires prepayment for both I think so still a bit messy.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 10/19/2016 at 10:21 AM, pjglad said:

BUYER BEWARE - You have to create an account in order to order this book. Serif saves your credit card information without your permission and there is no way to delete it. This is unacceptable.

Wouldn't they already have your CC info from when you bought an Affinity product?

• Staff
7 minutes ago, glenbarrington said:

Wouldn't they already have your CC info from when you bought an Affinity product?

The credit card section has an obvious opt-in/opt-out tick for them to be saved for future purchases or not. The post you quoted is not correct, we save them if you want, perhaps he did not notice the option. 

More importantly you can log back in to your account and delete the saved card information at any time https://affinity.store/account

(You can only add a card when buying something) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

The credit card section has an obvious opt-in tick for them to be saved for future purchases or not. The post you quoted is not correct, we save them if you want, perhaps he did not notice the option. 

Thanks I wondered about that, but i'm pretty sure you've had my CC info since PhotoPlus 7, no problems yet.  BTW, I miss that old informal, not always for business, user's forum from that era.  It was a fun destination back then.

• Staff
Just now, glenbarrington said:

Thanks I wondered about that, but i'm pretty sure you've had my CC info since PhotoPlus 7, no problems yet.  BTW, I miss that old informal, not always for business, user's forum from that era.  It was a fun destination back then.

We probably do, but that's a totally different database, and not used for Affinity Store purposes. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I have 1.5.6 mac version... Yet the store says the latest is 1.6.x

How do I get the latest? You can't possibly expect me to pay $50 again? Or ANYTHING at all for a 'point' update...

Why is this so hard to update???? It does not show in the App Store...???

And there is nothing in the menus I can find.

Just ordered mine on Amazon. :-) Had to use them for Airmiles. Merry Christmas to me!

Looking forward to digging in and learn more about the app.

Edit - Whoops I thought this was the Photo workbook thread... dang it!

• Staff

Hi gdjsky01,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, you don't have to pay for the update. To update the Mac version, run the Mac App Store, go to the Updates tab on top then click the Update button in front of the application name in the list below. If the update it's not appearing there press (cmd) + R to refresh the Updates page. If the updates still don't appear, sign out of the Mac App Store, then sign-in again. Check the Updates section on the App Store app again.

As a last resort if any of the above doesn't work, drag the application from the applications folder to the Trash and empty it, then reinstall the app again from the Mac App Store. It will install the latest version. 

and

There is an explanation from Serif.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
On 28/11/2017 at 4:32 AM, Davious_Maximus said:

What the... ?

I am trying to buy your new photo book...

however I can't justify this purchase since your shipping has jumped from A$7.29 when I got your design book to A$28.49 now...

I don't get it... What a huge jump... NO

This isn't right! Shipping to Australia.
Davious

Davious

Regarding the apparent increase in shipping costs for some customers, until late August 2017 there was a bug in the Affinity Store code that meant when we have sold the Designer Workbook, some customers were not charged the correct delivery, if they changed their country while in the basket. The delivery did not always get recalculated for the actual destination country, and so was less than it should have been. This only affected 2% of orders and has now been corrected and Serif absorbed this extra cost on those incorrect delivery costs. The Store now reflects the shipping costs we are charged by our distributor (an arm of Amazon).

Amazon website themselves also sell the book (without the current discount) and they have their own shipping charges, which I understand are less than ours and sometimes zero (particularly for those who also pay Amazon Prime). We have no control over how much Amazon charge to sell our book for nor how much they charge their customers for shipping. We also have no control over how much they charge us for delivery (as reflected in our store shipping prices). 

When Amazon websites sell the books we do not make as much money as when we sell directly, however IF the Amazon website book price plus cheaper shipping works out better for you than buying directly from us with our current 25% discount but higher shipping, then please feel free to order however you choose.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi! I have searched the forums, and I cannot find a specific answer. I cannot download core_skills.afdesign. I read in one post that I can go to page 69 near the index and download what is needed, but I am still lost. Is there a place on this forum to download resources?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi sujohu,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To get the link, go to page 69 (it's the one with a green background) and in the middle there's a sentence that starts with "You can get all resources you need...". Copy the link in bold to the URL field on your browser and press Enter to download all the files for that chapter. The files referenced in the Resource boxes on the pages of that chapter refer to the files contained in that download. Same for all the other chapters (each one has a link in the introductory page to download the resources for that chapter).

Please see Patrick Connor's post about this (below). It tells you exactly how to download the 'Core Skills' resources, as well as giving general guidance about downloading the other resources which cannot be shared publicly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Everblue said:

Sorry for asking this, but don't these workbooks go out of date every time a new feature is added to to the software?

They are not intended as reference manuals, explaining every feature of the program. They provide a basic education about the interface and tools, and then let you work through specific examples that help educate you on how some of the features work.

Obviously, they won't cover any new features, or changes to existing features. But in a sense they don't really go out of date as they're not intended to explain everything. They would only go out of date, in that sense, if some feature were to start working differently than it was explained in the book.

Your best explanation of new features will probably come from the built-in Help system, and from new videos released by the Affinity team or the user community.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
1 minute ago, Eskin said:

Any chance you will release ebook version of affinity designer workbook? 

As said before we have no plans to do this, sorry but No

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I also have the Affinity Designer workbook which is very well done, excellent design and very educative. With all respect for the ebook (which I prefer to read on my ereader above a printed version) but in this case an ebook will not do justice to the present printed book.

ebook formatting is too limited and will never come close to the layout of the Designer printed book.

Hey, I am considering buying the workbooks. I was wondering though, to what extend they are still up to date and usable? It's been a while since their release after all and the software has had multiple updates over that period. Or is an update planned perhaps?

5 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

I also have the Affinity Designer workbook which is very well done, excellent design and very educative. With all respect for the ebook (which I prefer to read on my ereader above a printed version) but in this case an ebook will not do justice to the present printed book.

ebook formatting is too limited and will never come close to the layout of the Designer printed book.

If one desires to have a pixel-perfect representation of a physical book/layout, that is what fixed layout eBooks are for.

Otherwise look at eBooks like a web site presented for a desktop and a mobile phone. The mobile layout is typically a "dumbed-down" version of the same desktop layout. There's nothing wrong with the reformat for the small screen for a web site nor for eBook readers.