You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ash

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to you friends !! I'm a hard-core Adobo's (I've been using for 13 years) recently switched to your products - I'm amazed and I have no words !!! I'm all advertising your product! In which section can I leave wishes for adding new functionality?

UX/UI Designer & Affinity Designer user on Facebook | on Behance | on Dribbble

AMD FX-9370 Eight-Core (Vishera)/ 4.4GHz/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB/ SSD/ HDD1TB / DDR3 2x8GB

Greetings to you friends !! I'm a hard-core Adobo's (I've been using for 13 years) recently switched to your products - I'm amazed and I have no words !!! I'm all advertising your product!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, FriendDesign. :)

In which section can I leave wishes for adding new functionality?

The Feature Requests forum is here, but you might want to post to the Questions & Feedback forum first (in case the feature is already available but you simply haven't found it yet).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

If only I could buy this highly praised book in Switzerland.

Can you solve this problem somehow?

Our delivery partner doesn't deliver to Switzerland, and sending it from here is very expensive on delivery so not offered. Some people have it delivered to a German Italian or French friend who then posts it on or brings it when convenient. Sorry that we can't be more helpful.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2016 at 4:49 AM, Ash said:

Hi All,

For a number of months now behind the scenes we have been producing a workbook for Affinity Designer, and I'm pleased to let you know it is available from today!

This is a big book - 448 pages, in hardback - and it includes fantastic projects created by some top designers, as well as a comprehensive reference to all our tools and panels, and a set of core skills tutorials.

You can find more information about it here.

Usual price is $49.99 / £37.99, but we are running a 20% discount for the launch making it only $39.99 / £29.99 (+ shipping and handling).

It's worth pointing out that right now the book is only available in English but we do plan to do a German version which should be available towards the end of the year.

Hope you like it!

Thanks,
Ash

Love the book! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the discount on the workbook which I have been wanting to buy since you published it but it was a bit beyond my means.  I love Affinity Designer  - it is every bit as good as Illustrator as far as I am concerned and I feel I am very lucky to have found it!

Pauline

Pauline :212_koala:

Affinity Designer 1.6.1.93; Windows 7 Professional

I received an email stating the workbook is $29.99.

I've tried to sign in to buy it. First it tells me the info I'm using is incorrect (it isn't).Then I do the reset password thing and it tells me it will send me a reset link to my email. It won't.

Do you not want to sell the workbook at the advertised price of $29.99?

I don't get it.

Where are you trying to sign in? The Affinity Designer Workbook is sold exclusively through the Affinity Store at https://affinity.store, which is completely separate from these forums and the Mac App Store. Unless you've purchased the Windows version of either Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo, you won't have an existing account to log in to: if that's the case, you will be taken through the account creation steps when you make your purchase.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

D'accord avec Tomn, car tout le monde ne connaît pas l'anglais et les autres pourraient faire une traduction vers d'autres langues,

Agree with Tomn, because not everyone knows English and the others could do a translation to other languages,

Well the same thing happened to me. I placed the order online and the system accepted it immediately, or so I thought. It was a standard shipping fee something like you said. Then a human in Affinity Orders department obviously realized the delivery address is not U.K., but they had accepted the order to be delivered to the French Caribbean islands. The following day they refunded the full amount.

I finished up having to order it on Amazon in the US and ship it internally in the U.S. to the freight forwarder in Miami, then fly it out to the islands, then have it delivered to my door. That cost me around $US100. I would say after seeing this magnificent volume, the ADW is worth every cent and I would do it again in a heart beat once the APW hit the presses. Also, the book got pretty banged up along the way.

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

Regarding delivery to Switzerland... I found the book on Amazon Germany and Amazon UK and they would both deliver to Switzerland, however they are asking much more than the price quoted by Affinity. I realise that this topic has been discussed (at length) already, but I wonder if there is any update?

Amazon UK also include an Affinity Photo Workbook scheduled for October 2017. Will that have the same delivery restrictions?

Thanks

John

• Staff
4 hours ago, Arnold N said:

@Rubbington - Has your book arrived yet?

I am also in Australia and ordered on Aug 10 and yet haven't received email to say it has been dispatched?

Anyone know who I can contact to find out more on the status of order?

Hey Arnold,

If you send an email to affinityorders@serif.com someone should be able to give you an update on the status of your order. Please provide them with your email and shipping info in order to speed things up. 

On 12.8.2017 at 8:01 PM, pinthenet said:

Regarding delivery to Switzerland... I found the book on Amazon Germany and Amazon UK and they would both deliver to Switzerland, however they are asking much more than the price quoted by Affinity. I realise that this topic has been discussed (at length) already, but I wonder if there is any update?

Amazon UK also include an Affinity Photo Workbook scheduled for October 2017. Will that have the same delivery restrictions?

Thanks

John

The funny Thing is, i ordered the Book from the Affinity Website and it was delivered 2 Days later ....  from Amazon. (to Germany)

I recently purchased the Affinity Designer Workbook and have been working through the examples. One thing that I noticed, and have found frustrating, is that the downloadable resource files do not always correspond to the examples shown in the workbook.

For example, in the skyscraper project, there is an instruction to download a document palette. The palette shown in the book is full of a variety of colors while the actual document palette has a fraction of the colors. Similarly, in this project, the colors indicated for the night sky in the resource files are completely different from the colors shown in the book.

So, I'm wondering where the downloadable files have changed since the book was published. Will there by any uploading of newer files that are more in line with the examples shown in the book?

It's still useful to have the resource files but it is a bit frustrating to work for hours on the project and not have it look anything like what is shown in the workbook or, in some cases, like what is shown in the downloadable example files.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

Hi, I would really like to get this book but am worried that the book will be updated with the new updates when they come out and I will have to spend another 50$ dollars just to see what the new features are. I don't mind paying 10-15 bucks every once and a while but re-buying the entire product seems expensive. Is there any sort of discount on future books from previous buyers? Thanks for everything.

• Staff

Hi Diane F - I’m the book’s editor so I wanted to contact you as you seem unhappy with the resources supporting the workbook. We’ve not had any issues with the resource files that I’m aware of so I want to get to the bottom of your problem and find out if there’s anything that needs fixing.. and help you of course.

Could you first of all clarify if you find all the resources frustrating to use? If so, could you provide a few more examples of where the project files don’t match the book?

For the moment, all I can do is take your example - the skyscraper project. 

I’ve checked the files and they are as they should be. So here are few things that might help.. apologies if you know this  - just trying to eliminate things in my mind.

• The skyline01.palette file when imported via the Swatches panel (instructions on p. 161) will become the active document palette so you should not be seeing any other document palette. Use this palette’s swatches to assign to gradient end stops as shown on  p. 162. Please confirm that you’re seeing this :-)
  • You need to load the project_file, e.g. skyline_06_midgroundlighting.afdesign, as prompted in the Resource box at that point of the project. 
  • Any project file referenced in this Resource box is how the file should look after completion of that section not before. A section is the steps and procedures between each green Resource box. 
  • Use the Fill Tool to select objects, and then select the end stops to view the HSL values.

If you know the above already and you’re seeing disparity in colour between screen and print, this may be because its very difficult to match colour between screen and CMYK physical print exactly.  We deliberately created all our projects with the sRGB colour profile applied, which ‘maps’ to CMYK (print) better than most profiles yet still looks fairly representative on screen.

Regards

Andy Capstick

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for taking my comments seriously. I appreciate that. Overall, I think the workbook is really great, and I'm learning a lot as I work my through it. I'm not finding all the resources frustrating, just some of them.

I'm going to go back over the work I've done so far and make notes about places that were inconsistent. I can even attach some screen shots. It may take me a little while to do this, but I will make another post when I've done this.

Re. your other comments:

• I just checked the skyline01 palette that you mentioned. The colors I'm seeing on this palette are more in line with the colors mentioned in the workbook but different from the colors I saw on the palette when I first imported it. This is a very weird discrepancy and one that doesn't make sense. Originally, I tried importing this palette twice in case I'd done something wrong and got the same result both times, a result that is different from the palette I'm seeing now.
  • Yes, I'm loading each of the project files as I work and have compared what I'm seeing on the project files with the file that I'm in the process of creating. I'm having no problems with doing that step.
  • I understand that the resource files show the end product after doing the requisite steps.
  • I am using the Fill tool, selecting the stops and then using the HSL sliders to change the colors just as you indicate in your email.
  • The color issue I referred to in my original post was not a monitor issue. The colors were very different from what I was seeing in the relevant resource file. This is what I will check tomorrow and then send you specifics.

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully, what I'll send you going forward will help ascertain whether there are discrepancies between the workbook and the resource files or whether the problem has to do with something I'm doing.

Diane

HI Andy,

I played with this some more and redid the night sky layer on my own document. I also went back to your night sky layer resource file and looked at each rectangle. I saw that you had not made your gradient lines the full vertical length of the rectangle but instead made them shorter and, in some cases, angled. When I replicated your lines, I got an effect that was closer to yours. I also saw that I had not used the same anchor point in the Transform panel as you did when I created the second rectangle. When I fixed that, my effect was much better.

I also compared the colors you mentioned on page 154 of the workbook with the colors in the gradients shown in your nightsky resource file. In the book, you mention that the top end stop in the red rectangle should be set a 0% opacity, but you don't say that the colors at the that end of the rectangle should be set at 237,100, 3. I only saw that when I looked at the resource file. When I changed that end stop, I got a better result. I'm attaching a screen shot of that layer.

I'm not sure why the colors were off when I made my original post. I clearly must have been doing something wrong. I'll keep notes as I proceed through the book and let you know if I see any discrepancies that are real and not due to my own errors.

Diane

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 11.14.33 AM.png

Hi Andy,

After sending you my previous email, I went back to my document and noticed that the skyline1 palette in the document was the one I saw when I sent my first email and not the one that I saw yesterday. If you look at the screenshot in my previous email, you'll see that that palette does not contain any green and does not look anything like the palette shown on page 161 of the workbook.

I have no idea why this palette appears to be changing its colors on different days. Any thoughts?

Diane

Back in October/November 2016 when the book was first released it took about 3 weeks to get to me in Australia, so hopefully it is not too far away. 

To get to wordsberry in New Zealand took about 4 weeks around the same time.

Not sure what the situation is this time.