You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ash

I've ordered the book and am now wondering if I should order a coffee table from Ikea for it to go on - and see if they arrive together as Yorkshire is in its own universe  :D

IMHO the ADW will probably outlast the Ikea coffee table.

As for delivery, I'm still patiently :mellow: waiting, and I'm not in the centre of the universe.

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

Yes, it is excellent (unsupported) software for a bargain price, as the book goes to prove.

Thank you Patrick. I agree it is excellent value.

Last night I joined CommunityPlus and a member mentioned a final bug fix release of X9 in the new year. Can you confirm?

Michael

------
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

If we all get together we could put in an order and save on delivery costs! I need a nice book rest so I can put the book on the arm of the sofa whilst using the Mac on the Ikea laptop table (delivered same day as the book!), I have a book rest but it's old plastic and my Workbook really wants something more 'authentic' :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

• Staff

I joined CommunityPlus and a member mentioned a final bug fix release of X9 in the new year. Can you confirm?

Michael

I can't, no. Serif said there would be another patch to PagePlus, but it wouldn't be before Christmas, (or the new year, I forget ). That doesn't mean it's ready to roll in the wings, that meant all the programmers were busy working on Affinity until at least then. The release of Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for Windows within 3 weeks of each other has not allowed any time yet on PagePlus.

I am a great advocate for the legacy products and look forward to removing some of the frustrating regressions that sneaked in. The timing however is not at my control.

However this discussion doesn't belong here on the Affinity forums.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

PeanutsA,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, it's really good to see you here.

Can you buy me a houseplant and a candle while you're there.

Thank you for the welcome Patrick,

I will get the houseplant (not a Christmas Poinsettia) and candle when I go to Ikea to get a laptop stand to go with the coffee table.

IMHO the ADW will probably outlast the Ikea coffee table.

As for delivery, I'm still patiently :mellow: waiting, and I'm not in the centre of the universe.

Michael

Thank you for your "like" TechniSmart,

You are most probable right about the comparative durability of the Workbook versus Ikea coffee table, having now seen the Workbook.

Luckily for me, although in Yorkshire's own universe, my Workbook arrived - on Sunday - 10 minutes after the email confirming its dispatch.

I hope that your patience is soon rewarded, it will be well-worth the wait.

If we all get together we could put in an order and save on delivery costs! I need a nice book rest so I can put the book on the arm of the sofa whilst using the Mac on the Ikea laptop table (delivered same day as the book!), I have a book rest but it's old plastic and my Workbook really wants something more 'authentic' :)

Thank you for your "like" Sunset.

I cannot suggest a suitable book rest that would, now having seen the Workbook, be large and strong enough, nor would fit on the arm of a sofa, but whilst looking in Ikea for a laptop table I found this that might do, unfortunately it isn't available for home delivery, so you might have venture out from the centre of the universe :) :) :) . If you don't like black I think it is also available in pink. BRÄDA

Thank you for your "like" Sunset.

I cannot suggest a suitable book rest that would, now having seen the Workbook, be large and strong enough, nor would fit on the arm of a sofa, but whilst looking in Ikea for a laptop table I found this that might do, unfortunately it isn't available for home delivery, so you might have venture out from the centre of the universe :) :) :) . If you don't like black I think it is also available in pink. BRÄDA

That's very kind of you to look! However, the Workbook would change pages all by itself too often, so I might have to settle for the one I have - the pegs come forwards, not sideways, to accommodate those v-e-r-y chunky coffee table books! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellowes-Booklift-Copy-Holder-Silver/dp/B00006IC4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481476357&sr=8-1&keywords=book+stand+fellowes

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

• Staff

16 days later with the printers, can all German prospective customers get a more accurate hint for their Santa Claus, please?  ;)

My estimate was overambitious, and this will probably not be this year now, sorry. I will see if I can get a more accurate timeline. I think we are also plannig how to present it on the website & shop. We don't want to sell the German one to users (even from Germany) who would rather buy English, so the buy links need careful thought. Too many returns and all the profit has gone.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

My estimate was overambitious, and this will probably not be this year now, sorry. I will see if I can get a more accurate timeline. I think we are also plannig how to present it on the website & shop. We don't want to sell the German one to users (even from Germany) who would rather buy English, so the buy links need careful thought. Too many returns and all the profit has gone.

Many thanks for the updates. Less to do for Santa, more for the easter bunnies.

If they had the file(s) since 16 days that means more than one month! What went wrong? Printed in China or where?

My self-indulgent Christmas gift just arrived early.  :)

The ADW is a gorgeous publication, jam-packed with ideas and well organized information. My wife picked it up and could hardly believe all those glossy pages and hard backing weigh so much. The workbook is a credit to you all--so much hard work and thought went into this and it shows on every page.

Just for the record: I was forced to order mine from Amazon USA, after Serif accepted the order but it got kicked out of the system once they saw I don't live in France, but part of France in the French West Indies. They cheerfully refunded. So Amazon sent the ADW to Miami, Florida, and instead of ocean freight, I had it couriered to the airport and it reached the island the following day. There was no chance of it reaching me until mid-January otherwise  :(

As a few commented on shipping damage. :( This publication should be packed in more than a close fitting cardboard box. I expect more from Amazon, but after couriers get their hands on them, hurling them like frisbees crashing into container walls, not many items can survive that treatment. So if you got Amazon to test slightly larger boxes with some bubble wrap to protect inside, that should foil most wayward package loaders. The corners of the spine were damaged and it has a dent on the front--not really bad, but if I was buying it in a book store, I would expect a discount. You may want to look into this, as it is a beautiful publication and seeing dents in the cover detracts from the beauty of your product.

I will do a review of the contents as I work through it. Suffice to say, a quick scan reveals a very comprehensive project-based book, which teaches all the basics and is quite a worthy addition to my reference shelf.

What are your thoughts...

Michael

------

That sounds like the help file... ;)

It did sound like the help file...

For clarification users need a PDF or epub version of the manual (readable on Mac, Windows, phones and tablets. The integrated application help file is useful for reference, but as a manual to be read through and studied, this format is clumsy and inadequate. Many posts represent this sentiment.

I ordered it as well.

I find that my allergy to the chemicals of books makes such things more of a paper weight in the garage than a reference for the first year while it outgasses.  Any electronic version (PDF with a password maybe) coming soon?

An update to my previous post re: shipping damage to the ADW.

I spoke to Amazon and they take using the right packaging for the right item very seriously.

This arrived in an official; Amazon box, but had no padding, so every hit/drop it took went through the thin cardboard directly into the cover, making it look like a second hand book by the time it arricved in my hands.

A few pictures taken with my mobile phone are attached.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9loo0liyk7n3eb/AADc9U6p_SOPD0XBX7LCbxZja?dl=0

Still, I love the contents even though it looks a bit war weary.

What condition did your ADW from Amazon.com arrve looking like?

Michael

Michael

------

There are no plans for an electronic version, no. This "coffee table" hardback format is substantial agreed as it's on high quality paper, but that is what we have. Sorry.

that's really unfortunate. A coffee-table book edition might be cool, but for a software product that is expected to change and grow over time, committing to the printed word is a waste of paper and glue. 

Unless you expect us to buy another CDN$70 book when version 2 comes out and things are changed/improved/added/upgraded/etc...

regards,

bud

I just received your workbook - shocking quality out and in.

A piece of art in itself ripe for the MOMA

- every penny well spend!

I'm certainly not trough this excellent publication until the next pope will be selected ...

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

that's really unfortunate. A coffee-table book edition might be cool, but for a software product that is expected to change and grow over time, committing to the printed word is a waste of paper and glue.

Unless you expect us to buy another CDN$70 book when version 2 comes out and things are changed/improved/added/upgraded/etc...

regards,

bud

Sir!

With all due respect - your absolutely wrong.

One lives today - and this book, an excellent piece of art in itself tackles all the problems a new or advanced user may find a solutions for - easy to follow. Brings a willing layman to an expert level or so. TODAY!

And that is what counts - compare the book to a few draft beers (about same price): When consumed both bring cosiness & joy but beer goes rather fast down the way of nature - thats natural. At least with this very well crafted publication it stays longer in the system and will not so fast go the way of nature - that what counts - and is remains useful even after leaving the pub. eg when version 2.0 will be out.

What will not be the case for the beer leftover...

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

• 2 weeks later...

regards,

bud

Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Mine arrived in a standard "Amazon box" without any padding. It was in perfect condition, no damage at all. Very nice book, well done and useful.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Ahahaha!

The religious schism!  :)   

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers