You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ash

Received the newsletter and found out the book is on discount again, but I get the same problems as others when trying to purchase the book. It always gives me an error page with "There was a problem handling your request".

I'm also unable to sign in to the "regular" Affinity site, getting the message "Error: The Email address or Password is incorrect". And also no mailreply when trying to get a new password via the "Forgot password?" function.

Trying this on OSX El Capitan with Safari, Firefox and Chrome + Safari on iPad, from Norway.

No luck with either the link in the newsletter or the "marketing site workbook page" (as suggestet above).

Crossing fingers! :-)

Marius, I bought it from Amazon. It took three weeks and there was no discount. But all in all it was worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1909581038/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

... but I get the same problems as others when trying to purchase the book. It always gives me an error page with "There was a problem handling your request".

I'm also unable to sign in to the "regular" Affinity site, getting the message "Error: The Email address or Password is incorrect". And also no mailreply when trying to get a new password via the "Forgot password?" function.

Trying this on OSX El Capitan with Safari, Firefox and Chrome + Safari on iPad, from Norway.

No luck with either the link in the newsletter or the "marketing site workbook page" (as suggestet above).

Crossing fingers! :-)

Marius_Renberg,

The Affinity Store programmers think they have sorted the "not responding" issue when placing book orders, but we think that this only happens when your IP address belongs in a country we can't deliver to (Norway, Switzerland and others). So even though this "not responding" may now be fixed, it will now result in a page where you can see that you are not allowed to place an order through our shop, so Amazon website ordering may be the easiest solution for you at the moment.

As explained here the Affinity Store accounts are new and do not use the same database as these forums or the serif.com legacy login. You will only be able to log into the shop if you have purchased something in the Affinity store in the last few weeks since it opened. Many users are trying Forgot Password using an email address that has bought neither Affinity Designer for Windows, nor the Affinity Designer Workbook (and therefore could not have forgotten their password on the store as they could not have an account on the store yet)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

The book is still on discount when the german version is available?

The German book may have it's own discount that is not coincident with the English book.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

The Affinity Store programmers think they have sorted the "not responding" issue when placing book orders, but we think that this only happens when your IP address belongs in a country we can't deliver to (Norway, Switzerland and others). So even though this "not responding" may now be fixed, it will now result in a page where you can see that you are not allowed to place an order through our shop, so Amazon website ordering may be the easiest solution for you at the moment.

Okay, I gave it one last try (despite the hassle and much higher price) and tried to order it via amazon.de with the same result. No shipping to Switzerland.

Now I'm fed up. I'm sorry to say, but keeping quiet a few potential customers 'out of the game' because of some weird restrictions of your retail partners isn't the right way to go, in my humble opinion. From my point of view you, you've chosen the wrong partners.

I know that I might be only one little voice here but as it seems I'm not the only one that is dissapointed.

• Staff

JokeRat,

As I can't edit my previous entry:

What are the reasons for your partners to exclude countries like Switzerland and Norway from the shipping? Because they are highly risky countries to do business with?

Sorry this is proving arduous. ​We were slightly surprised ourselves at the restrictions that Amazon fulfilment have on delivery country. You will understand that the Affinity Store is a new approach for us and we are also finding these teething problems and reacting to them ourselves. We are currently discussing the possibility of finding another way to fulfil to the excluded list, as we don't want this situation to remain indefinitely. I think that Amazon are a very good fulfilment partner for the territories that they do cover, but we still wish to address physical delivery to those excluded countries too eventually.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

JokeRat,

Sorry this is proving arduous. ​We were slightly surprised ourselves at the restrictions that Amazon fulfilment have on delivery country. You will understand that the Affinity Store is a new approach for us and we are also finding these teething problems and reacting to them ourselves. We are currently discussing the possibility of finding another way to fulfil to the excluded list, as we don't want this situation to remain indefinitely. I think that Amazon are a very good fulfilment partner for the territories that they do cover, but we still wish to address physical delivery to those excluded countries too eventually.

I hope you include Serbia as well. Really want that book.

• Staff

X-mas is coming soon. Will the german translated Designer Workbook available before?

It's with the printers now, so yes, 2nd or 3rd week of December I should think

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

It's with the printers now, so yes, 2nd or 3rd week of December I should think

Strange, that it was not already corrected in the samples here, but are the suggestions for the wrong manual kerning (methods) eliminated in the German version of the book?

Pre-order in the store is possible (when)?

• Staff

Strange, that it was not already corrected in the samples here, but are the suggestions for the wrong manual kerning (methods) eliminated in the German version of the book?

Oval,

Sorry, but I have read this a number of times and I have no idea what you are referring to on that page. It is a translation of the English page with a note about a German one coming. This page was made before we finished translating the book to German and made some corrections in the English for impression #2. There is little chance of that page changing as the web team have not been told there is anything to change... (not sure what you think is strange our docs team are interested in the book, and not really in the website)

Once we get a German book here I will suggest that we replace those pictures with German equivalents, particularly the keyboard shots which use appropriate DE keyboard layouts.

Other than the book photos and keyboard shortcuts are you saying there is something else to change?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Sorry Patrick, I think started this (I think my post is on page two of this thread) about the kerning--which it technically isn't, it's spacing.

Beginning with the 9th frame in the book's preview, the book shows not kerning, but rather how to space the letters evenly. Which creates a poor representation of the Lace Frame Galleries logo. But it would have been nice for the workbook to show why to not use even spacing and why--it would have shown off the letter kerning and tracking of the application if nothing else.

That's all.

Oval,

Sorry, but I have read this a number of times and I have no idea what you are referring to on that page. It is a translation of the English page with a note about a German one coming. This page was made before we finished translating the book to German and made some corrections in the English for impression #2. There is little chance of that page changing as the web team have not been told there is anything to change... (not sure what you think is strange our docs team are interested in the book, and not really in the website)

Once we get a German book here I will suggest that we replace those pictures with German equivalents, particularly the keyboard shots which use appropriate DE keyboard layouts.

Other than the book photos and keyboard shortcuts are you saying there is something else to change?

The question concerns the physical book! Those mistakes were communicated three times and an amendment for the next print of the book was considered. Pages like that teach/suggest wrong manual kerning (methods). If it was hopefully changed because it is “with the printers now” it should also be corrected in the sample images here to prevent that people get a wrong impression.

• Staff

I will try to remember to ask next week, but No we aren't changing that as far as I know (but I may be wrong), thanks for your clarifications both of you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't had time for a proper look but it looks great. I still prefer print but I do think an electronic version should be produced - "...but that is what we have. Sorry" is not much of an answer and means you will sell fewer copies.

• Staff

The question concerns the physical book! Those mistakes were communicated three times and an amendment for the next print of the book was considered. Pages like that teach/suggest wrong manual kerning (methods). If it was hopefully changed because it is “with the printers now” it should also be corrected in the sample images here to prevent that people get a wrong impression.

I don't think this project is 'how to design a logo' - it's a breakdown of what Neil in our design team created. The logo in this project is in a classic style respecting the heritage of Nottingham's lace industry.. as such monotype lettering is demonstrated, hence the equal spacing. Think wood block printing (then Gutenberg, then typewriters etc.)

Head of Creative

Help make our apps better by joining our 
beta program!

I don't think this project is 'how to design a logo' - it's a breakdown of what Neil in our design team created. The logo in this project is in a classic style respecting the heritage of Nottingham's lace industry.. as such monotype lettering is demonstrated, hence the equal spacing. Think wood block printing (then Gutenberg, then typewriters etc.)

Ýes, teaching spacing is just fine. The final letter in the word 'Frame' isn't spaced as per the word 'Lace' is all. Which makes it stand out. I don't know if it is an optical illusion due to screen hinting or not, but it appears to be not equally spaced (I cannot tell if the entire word is spaced with the same spacing values as the word 'Lace' or not). This in turn makes it not so mono-spaced.

Mike

Didn’t claim that it is “how to design a logo”. The book says “learn digital design”.

On page 320 the learners/readers must »manually space each letter to create an evenly spaced look«. They don’t learn what white space is and how to achieve evenly looking spaced letters. Not with those parallels. What you really want them is to create that unevenly/terribly spaced text “L ACE  FR A ME”?! Same with “BEANS” etc.

No client wants typography that looks wrong.

No recipient knows that this wrongly looking texts are desired. Subconsciously he gets the impression that L. F. is inaccurate.

Seems that Serif thinks that the baseline area is decisively important for spacing (see page 319).

An amendment for the next print of the book was considered. But cancelled?

The final letter in the word 'Frame' isn't spaced as per the word 'Lace' is all. Which makes it stand out. I don't know if it is an optical illusion due to screen hinting or not, but it appears to be not equally spaced (I cannot tell if the entire word is spaced with the same spacing values as the word 'Lace' or not). This in turn makes it not so mono-spaced.

Yes, no illusion, for example M and E are sticking together and here are the values that shows the changes:

27568593by.jpg

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone, received their book yet?  I ordered the first week and I have not received it.

I don't mind waiting but I want to be sure nothing has gone wrong.

If one of the staff take not to this, can you respond to me through my email if I should have received.

Otherwise, I will continue to wait.

Sorry to contact this way,  I hunted for an avenue but really couldn't find an alternative.

Thanks, (just can't wait to learn some new stuff)

Atira

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone, received their book yet?  I ordered the first week and I have not received it.

I don't mind waiting but I want to be sure nothing has gone wrong.

If one of the staff take not to this, can you respond to me through my email if I should have received.

Otherwise, I will continue to wait.

Sorry to contact this way,  I hunted for an avenue but really couldn't find an alternative.

Thanks, (just can't wait to learn some new stuff)

Atira

Mine arrived 2 days ago.