You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ash

Hi Patrick and wordsberry! Might still be within 'normal' for this new ordering system.

Mine was ordered on the 19th, confirmed on the 20th, I received a dispatch email on the 25th, and has yet to make it to me in south-east Australia. *waves at wordsberry across the Tasman*

Oh well, back to the video tutorials.

Maybe Amazon has introduced a new Halloween scare - fear that your book might not arrive?  :blink:  

Okay thanks obtusity for letting me know, now I think it's probably normal to have the item take so long to deliver for the Pacific region. 

@Patrick, I think it would be wise to update the affinity store to reflect a more realistic time for delivery then?? Especially for those people eager to grab the book as a Christmas present..

@obtusity, the only reason I'm impatient compared to you is because i checked amazon's forum about I-parcel (the company transporting my parcel), you'll find literally a thousand complaints of non-deliveries/ late deliveries etc so that doesn't really make me too confident about getting the book any time soon. 

Hello Seif, and Affinity folks….  

I just wanted to say I received my book earlier this week, and I am totally satisfied and impressed with the quality of production and the content itself.  I highly recommend this book, and can't wait for the next publication in the series.

Many thanks!!

@wordsberry Yes, looking at the reviews, if that is the service used then it's worrying. On the other hand, reviews can be skewed because those happy with the service are less likely to post a review, and many on this forum have been having no problems.

Fingers crossed and hoping that it's just somewhat slow. I'll post again when mine arrives.

Madame,

Your info shows that you are in 'Scandinavia' but not where. I ordered the book last week and it was delivered early this week. So if they ship to Sweden I do not understand why it wouldn't ship to you.

From her other posts, it would appear that Marianne ('Madame') is in Norway. detective.gif

Yes, that's right. You are observant. ;)

I don't know why it takes a month to Norway and a week to Sweden though.. *sigh 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Yes, that's right. You are observant. ;)

I don't know why it takes a month to Norway and a week to Sweden though.. *sigh 

Maybe it's coming by boat! (I had an unplanned visit to Norway, many years ago, in the middle of a holiday trip to Denmark. Going by boat would have taken too long for the time available, and would have been very expensive anyway, but it turned out that the timing was just right for cheap flights. A short but very pleasant stay in Bergen was the result.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Join the waiting club, hopefully one day we can teleport deliveries... 

Why didn't I think of that. The shipping would be cheap, I think. And no taxes. ;)

Maybe it's coming by boat! (I had an unplanned visit to Norway, many years ago, in the middle of a holiday trip to Denmark. Going by boat would have taken too long for the time available, and would have been very expensive anyway, but it turned out that the timing was just right for cheap flights. A short but very pleasant stay in Bergen was the result.)

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Bergen. :) You didn't need an umbrella then?

I think a ship will use about 3 weeks from USA. In the meantime I can just look forward to it arriving. Almost like Christmas. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Bergen. :) You didn't need an umbrella then?

I probably did, but since I live in the west of Scotland I'm used to that! ;)

I think a ship will use about 3 weeks from USA. In the meantime I can just look forward to it arriving. Almost like Christmas.

I just hope it doesn't take until Christmas to reach you!! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Couldn't agree more, and several people have posted about this already.

Trying to do tutorials and follow steps on a computer whilst using a big paper book, is almost impossible!

I sign that!

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

I had a search around my "office" earlier and found my book rest from years ago, it balances on the arm of the sofa next to me (and will also sit on my desk of course) and it's wide enough to hold the Workbook safely. Works well, and I (personally) still enjoy just browsing through my coffee table book for inspiration in the odd moment. Everyone to their own, though, I accept. :)

I would add the picture but there is no option. I might treat myself to a snazzier 'cookery' book rest  :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

Might be a generational thing. I personally have never used physical books to do tutorials of any kind on my computer. In fact, just copying notes on my computer using textbooks at uni was a little more unpleasant than having a pdf of the book. Sometimes i'd just take photos of the pages I wanted to read and send them to my computer and keep my word processor next to the image up. That could be a workaround for now????

I see a lot of kids/teenagers also buying this software, since I personally found paying for adobe's software suite too expensive (even with the student discount) when I was 13-18 and never bothered learning it.

I wonder if they'd prefer a video version of the book over a book/ebook. Seems like kids at that age are more accustomed to video tutorials than reading books to learn things. Although I've gotten used to that myself in the past 2 years thanks to Udemy, Lynda and other video providers.

But I do agree an ebook would be nice. Aside from the practical uses, it's just better because you don't have to wait to use the book (like I have to atm), you don't have to pay for shipping, which is quite hefty itself for non US/UK buyers and it's just much easier to update printed errors. 

I quite like watching tutorials on Vimeo on my iPad next to the Mac, it's the modern way to me. I just love modern technology and threaten to name my little traditional 1920s house as "Technology House". But I also have a passion for beautiful shiny books, always to hand, beautiful to handle and to read. I just enjoy the best of both worlds because it suits me. 

Reading the tutorials on the iPad would be easier to work with, I agree, but oddly perhaps I've picked up more useful stuff from one short paragraph on a page in the book than I would have done from a video, probably because I am more relaxed with the book :) There again I have the advantage of being in the middle of the UK and got my book within 24 hours of it coming on sale, it was almost as instant as online (well, in the greater scheme of things).

What would I do if I lived elsewhere? Being me, I'd probably get the book, if the shipping was not too exorbitant,  and a shiny new bookstand and continue with the tutorials online.  It took consideration, though :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

I agree, but oddly perhaps I've picked up more useful stuff from one short paragraph on a page in the book than I would have done from a video, probably because I am more relaxed with the book :)

That's odd that you'd be more relaxed with a book. I find learning an intense period, so I'm never at ease with the resources I'm reading... 

The only time I really consider buying a physical book is for pleasure - i.e reading a novel/non-fiction. But for learning, ebooks are far superior.... I can just press control F to find what i'm looking for, click on the glossary and get redirected to the right page without having to flick through like a mad person looking for the right page.... 

@wordsberry (and Patrick), my copy arrived today!

Hopefully that means yours is not far away (unless the freight ship has to offload at Australia before loading up and heading over to New Zealand, in which case add some more days).

Contrariwise, I'm happy to buy ebooks for fiction (preferably via an e-Ink reader) but for extended learning I also prefer print (and in some cases I've had both to compare) and find it more relaxing.

Different learning styles perhaps?

If I want to look up and learn one short discrete item (how do I apply a mask?) your look-up style works for me, but not for extended learning (walking step-by-step through an entire project using multiple techniques) - the difference between a reference manual and a workbook/user manual. I'd be happy with an electronic reference manual, but for a user manual I'd prefer print.

@obtusity, 

Thanks for the info. This means i'm probably gonna get it sometime this week. If I don't get it by Friday then I know for sure something is up with the courier.  I guess 2-3 weeks isn't bad for an item shipped from US. I just wish the shipping price wasn't so steep for that kind of service. 

• Staff

Are there any information about the release date of the German version? I am really looking forward for it.  :)

Hey Malenkiy, welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

We are aiming to get the German version of the Workbook out for the middle of December if everything goes well with the translation. 

Hi there Affinity Team!

I received  my AD workbook yesterday and I'm just blown away by 

the details and quality of the book.

So Thank you very much ...that being said, the only problem I have is, 

where do I go to download the project files?

I tried the above "affin.co" but nothing seems to happen.

Please help!

Regards

Adrianna