You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ash

• Staff

Please note that if you wish to place an order, the online store buying system does not know about your Affinity forum login/account.

Ordering a book will create a new account, so the "Sign In" option will not know your email or password until after you have placed an order.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I like the idea of the book and as a graphics beginner I'd be very interested.

You guessed it, here follows the "but": alas, I travel *FAR* too much to carry that sort of weight along.  Any plans on creating a later electronic version?

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• Staff

There are no plans for an electronic version, no. This "coffee table" hardback format is substantial agreed as it's on high quality paper, but that is what we have. Sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Fair enough, I understand why (certainly from the quality aspect - a coffee table format doesn't scale well).

Oh well, can't win them all :) 

Regards, Binc

Please note that if you wish to place an order, the online store buying system does not know about your Affinity forum login/account.

Ordering a book will create a new account, so the "Sign In" option will not know your email or password until after you have placed an order.

Thanks for the advice, Christmas has come early this year :)

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

• Staff

Which desktop publishing software was used?

PagePlus X9, in separate chapters controlled by BookPlus (which is a feature of PagePlus X9). The PDF-X3 output was sent direct to the printers with no modification.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I suspect the real question was if this book was a preview of a certain rumoured DTP application ;)  ;)

Regards, Binc

Great! Gonna order mine up now! Just the fact that it hard bound full color book makes it worth the penny! Be nice to have  the first book created for this amazing application on my shelf!

Thanks guys!

OK, maybe I am feeling a bit grinch-like here. But I have not really found a good manual or tutorial for some of the detailed features in either of the Affinity adobe-buster apps.  

So, now to get some help on more advanced features I have to buy a book? o.0

It feels a bit like flying Allegiant air. 

I love both apps and find doing simple things very, well simple but doing things at the next level up is not straightforward.  

Is there a good manual? Am I just missing it? Completely possible and if so can someone point me to it? 

And yes, the book looks beautiful and I may buy it just for that, my issue is that to find out how to do stuff I have to buy something that likely has way more than I need. Is there an intermediate guide somewhere?

Thanks

OK, maybe I am feeling a bit grinch-like here. But I have not really found a good manual or tutorial for some of the detailed features in either of the Affinity adobe-buster apps.  

Maybe a good look at all the forum headings would have helped.  Knock yourself out.  :P

Regards, Binc

• Staff

It feels a bit like flying Allegiant air. 

I love both apps and find doing simple things very, well simple but doing things at the next level up is not straightforward.  

Is there a good manual? Am I just missing it? Completely possible and if so can someone point me to it? 

And yes, the book looks beautiful and I may buy it just for that, my issue is that to find out how to do stuff I have to buy something that likely has way more than I need. Is there an intermediate guide somewhere?

Thanks

Hi lesliedow,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Help file (menu Help ▸ Affinity Designer Help) covers extensively all the features of the program, with step by step instructions.

Additionally there's also video tutorials covering most of the features/tools/funcionality of Designer. You can find them here: In-house Affinity Designer Video Tutorials

For more learning resources check:

- Affinity Review our ezine, also includes some in-depth written and video tutorials covering specific subjects. The iBooks format includes video too (the PDF doesn't).

- and a few more third party learning resources here, including Books, Training Courses and written tutorials that may also help.

• Staff

BUYER BEWARE - You have to create an account in order to order this book. Serif saves your credit card information without your permission and there is no way to delete it. This is unacceptable.

Serif do NOT save your credit card details. We save the last 4 digits of the 16 you entered, and your name, but not the security number, and a tokenized version of the transaction. This is standard practice and it is not enough to do anything further with.

To give some background, all responsible merchants shouldn’t be storing credit card information for over half a decade now…instead they swapped to credit card tokenization where a token is stored but the credit card information no longer exists. Our order gateway is Stripe, who are fully PCI compliantFor PCI-DSS compliance since June (summer of 2010), most Merchants started the journey of not storing credit cards natively in their database, some store the last 4 digits and then may store a token that links to the accompanying payment information to the gateway processor. As the token is only undecipherable using a private Serif owned Stripe key, that token would be useless to anyone but Serif.

We have to store this token to show you the card that was used to place the order and for legal tax reasons. However we do not have to use offer that token for your next purchase. At the moment you can replace a card when placing your next order but not remove the used one from being offered again (i.e. "delete the key" outside of an order). I think it is a very sensible suggestion to add the option to remove that token from being available future purchases by you. Being a new shop we have had a few useful suggestions like this that we will implement.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd