You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I do a shadow at the edges of a rectangle that only shows at the inside of the rectangle?

Every time I try to do this with the effects the shadow goes both outside and inside the rectangle. I have a photo inside of the rectangle and I want for there to be a shadow coming from the rectangle onto the photo. I would think that I would go to "inner shadow" under effects to do this but it isn't working for some reason. 

Not quite, it would be more like if the shadow were to run across all four corners of the red border and only show up on the picture. Your example stays inside the frame but isn't on the top red line or the tops of the two red side lines. The effect I am looking for is just a subtle shadow right on the edges of the border; it won't take up so much of the image. I hope I explained that better.

Ok, I see what was happening. I had a solid blue colored foreground that covered a photo with one opening in the center of the foreground to let the photo through. I thought that I could just apply the shadow (technically inner glow) to around the edge of the opening of the foreground and the shadow would show up on the photo. What was actually happening is I can only apply the glow to the outer part of the photo that was being covered up by the foreground. (The border in my attachment has opacity turned down so that you can see what is below it.) The part that is a whitish color shows the area that is usually covered by a solid color.

I was trying to apply it to the black framed edge which I don't think works. In your framed picture it shows the entire painting so selecting the edges works; in my example trying to do the same thing hides the effect under that blue border. I guess this means if I want to do this effect I have to crop that inner photo down to the same size of the border?

post-871-0-33536200-1476825685_thumb.png