You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,
Is it possible to create a 'Guilloché', Spirographic pattern in AD? You can see some examples on this site: https://www.youworkforthem.com/graphic/E1102/guilloche-02
It's the kind of thing you'd expect to see on a banknote or certificate. Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

E1102_03.jpg?20141104142069

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Kevin McSherry: Creative. Art  :  Illustration  :  Design
The Studio, 17 Aideen Avenue, Terenure, Dublin 6W.  Ireland
+353 (0)86 247 0737   www.mcsherry.ie

160604_35%2Bicon%2Baffinity.jpg

Don't know how important it is that you create this is in Affinity, but if you google "spirograph software" followed by "Windows" or "Mac" as appropriate, you will find a number of free apps for both OS's that export to JPG. You can import this into AD or AP and get rid of the white or black background with a blend mode or the blend options dialogue. If you need them to be vector then I am afraid I have no suggestions. 

I have no idea how good the apps are or at what size they export. I have never tried them. I simply know they exist. 

I think technically what AD can produce at present is a rose. Related to a cycloid, which is what a guilloché is, but not the same. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Yes, Dutchshader -that's absolutely perfect! I'm such a neophyte...how does ctrl J work?

@ DavidMac: Thanks for that -I did have a look around the web but it would be nice to figure out a way with AD.

Very grateful,

Kevin

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Got it! I just watched a Vimeo video on 'Power Duplicates' and that sorted me out. Works wonderfully, thanks for all your help.  :)

For anyone who's a newbie like me, here's the 'Power Duplicate' video here. It explains the basics of how Dutchshader made those patterns: https://vimeo.com/110124748

I did come across that site but I can't get an editable result. It's very clever, though.I'm very happy that I'm able to get modest patterns at the moment...

You're absolutely right. Works a treat -thank you Armadillo.