svicalifornia

Escape key should close About box

Hey svicalifornia,

I've just tried this in a few other Apple apps and it looks like Escape doesn't close the About box on them either. I'm going to assume that in this case, it is by design.

Escape key closes the About box in Finder, Preview, and Safari, which are arguably the three most fundamental apps in macOS.

It also works in Calendar, Color Picker, Terminal, Disk Utility, Keychain Access, and Script Editor, and probably a bunch of other Apple utilities that I didn't test just now.

It also works in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and probably all of the Adobe apps.

It also works in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.

It also works in Sublime Text, not that it has anything to do with anything, except to show how pervasive this UX standard is. :)

I don't personally disagree with you but this can sometimes be hard to get right as we tend to lean towards how Apple apps work and adapt for Widows when necessary. The majority of the apps you listed can be found on Windows and Adobe use their own OS which may have something to do with the difference in behaviour. 

Saying that, the Windows version closes About when hitting the Escape key so perhaps that would be the argument for changing it on OS X however trivial it may be.

I'll log it and see what they say.