farbenfeuer

Since 1.5.1 Performance is slow a. f.

Hey Guys,

unfortunately somehow my AD is painfully slow since the update. Especially dragging stuff around or using brushes makes the app lagg for up to seconds. I was using the Beta all along but never noticed anything like that.

Does anyone have a idea what it could be?

Tim

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Hi Tim,

A few things have been addressed in the beta releases since 1.5.1, can you give the latest beta a whirl and let me know exactly what you are still finding slow.

I've done a quick comparison between 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 (beta 3) and can't find anything that stands out. 

yeah i can definitely confirm that the beta works like a charm compared to the RC. I can even have them open at the same time and go back and forth with the same file and Beta handles it with the performance i expect, while the RC just keeps lagging around for some reason.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Any updates on this topic? Due to a different bug in the beta client (described in another topic) i have to use the MAS RC, but it's still slow.

Hi Chris,

sure i'm running the latest: 10.12.1

Regards

Tim

I also added the specs on my signature, which might help in general.

BTW: i also noticed laggy behaviour, with both RC and Beta, with the vector brushes. I'm also happy to record videos if it helps with the bugfixing.

I wanted to chip in and say since 1.5 performance has been really sluggish for me as well, both on my laptop screen and external ACD. It's really rather annoying. Dragging things around is sluggish and stuttery, and resizing has a 1-2 second delay before it catches up. I'm on a 2012 rMBP, latest Sierra update.

Just downloaded newest MAS Version. Still laggy, still sluggish, still no Feedback.

Hey Tim,

Of course we care. It's difficult to pinpoint a problem when we can't reproduce something. You said in an earlier post you are happy to record some clips to exhibit this, any chance you could send one or two over so we can see? I can then pass it over to development and see if they have any ideas. 

There are maybe a handful of people who are reporting poor performance but thousands of others who are running fine so it's not always easy to fix things like this  :unsure: Have you checked to see what the Activity Monitor is reporting? 

Hey Chris,

thanks for your reply. 

I'm not saying you have to come up with a solution instantly, just a quick heads up on the status quo would've sufficed, Instead of asking me a question and then no answer for 6 weeks. I'm sure that you're not sitting on your hands or anything, but also please understand my side of things. You claim your product to be for professionals and as such i'm dependant on reliability. If i have a serious issue which is crippling my ability to work properly and thus effectively losing money in the process i hope you understand, that i get frustrated. 

I love Affinity Designer as a full on replacement for PS and AI and to some degree even ID. So much so, that i pretty much already completely switched my workflow to AD. But that also means, that i need to be sure, that i put my money on the right horse. Whats not helping is things like releasing beta clients, that may fix my problem, but also say that you shouldn't do actual work on them cause you cant guarantee the data i make a living off of goes down the drain. Which is doing jacksquat for me then now is it?

By coincidence i found this other topic where you guys already talked about a bug where having the rulers active cause laggy behaviour. Sure enough same for me. Why you and noone tells me that in MY thread i don't know either, but that at least takes the pressure off a bit i suppose, since its ok to work now.

Again, i'm not trying to be a d*ck - just giving you my thoughts. Feel free to address them and tell me if i'm wrong or not.

Cheers

Tim

Hey Tim,

I think we can all appreciate the frustration when you pay for something that isn't working as you want or require, no doubts there. It's great to hear you enjoy the apps and you're making the switch and we want to make sure you and everyone else is happy.

Regarding the rulers causing laggy behaviour, if I'd have known at the time, I would have mentioned it. Do you have a link to the thread? Is it this one? I found one but some users reported it didn't affect them but it did others. I need to make sure this is logged with development.

Is there anything else performance wise that you would like me to look into? 

I am also having performance issues with AD 1.5.4

Mac Pro 2013 - 10.12.1

Slow with trying to select multiple objects: Selection box lags for 1-2s before appearing.

Slow with trying to move any object.  Lags behind approx 1-2s before jumping to current pointer position. Not the buttery smooth motion I am used to.

Zooming is also lagging, 1-2s 

How I fix the speed issue until it appears again:

I open up AD with [ctr] key held down, and proceed to clear all settings.

This seems to work for a while until issue starts up again.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with snapping, as it is one of the only changes I will make to settings as I need snapping to work.

I have had this issue since 1.5.1 and have been hopeful of a fix.

thank you.

I wanted to chip in and say since 1.5 performance has been really sluggish for me as well, both on my laptop screen and external ACD. It's really rather annoying. Dragging things around is sluggish and stuttery, and resizing has a 1-2 second delay before it catches up. I'm on a 2012 rMBP, latest Sierra update.

Have done a clean Sierra install, and still was getting stuttery performace with Designer.

After hiding rulers, it seems that the stuttering has been taken care of - so something with Rulers being visible is slowing everything down. 

Is there something I can show with Activity Monitor that will be helpful for you? 

Have any of you tried the beta which was released on the 15th? It looks as though this includes the fix for performance issues with rulers as well as some other general improvements. 

@unculturedswine - I don't think there's anything we particularly need from the Activity Monitor but it would be great if you could let me know if the beta resolves the issue for you. 

Hey Tim,

I think we can all appreciate the frustration when you pay for something that isn't working as you want or require, no doubts there. It's great to hear you enjoy the apps and you're making the switch and we want to make sure you and everyone else is happy.

Regarding the rulers causing laggy behaviour, if I'd have known at the time, I would have mentioned it. Do you have a link to the thread? Is it this one? I found one but some users reported it didn't affect them but it did others. I need to make sure this is logged with development.

Is there anything else performance wise that you would like me to look into? 

Hey Chris,

thanks for your response and understanding. Yes this is indeed the thread i meant.

I have a general feeling that AD used to run much more fluid and performant than it is now, but i can't exactly back that up with specific facts or anything.

As for a completely different bug though: I have still the bug that whenever i try to export jpg/png it adds 1px to the size. It's nothing dealbreaking, but annoying a.f. nevertheless. 

I will try beta now and report.

Thanks 

Tim

As for a completely different bug though: I have still the bug that whenever i try to export jpg/png it adds 1px to the size. It's nothing dealbreaking, but annoying a.f. nevertheless. 

Hey Tim, sorry for the delayed reply. This can happen if the X and Y position of an object has a point in it. For example, I have a shape here that is 1000px x 1000px and the X position is 0 but the Y position is 0.6. When I export, the dimensions end up being 1000x1001 because it has rounded it up.

This was raised in another topic regarding slices here.

Hey Tim, sorry for the delayed reply. This can happen if the X and Y position of an object has a point in it. For example, I have a shape here that is 1000px x 1000px and the X position is 0 but the Y position is 0.6. When I export, the dimensions end up being 1000x1001 because it has rounded it up.

This was raised in another topic regarding slices here.

No worries, with all the xmas and new year stuff i didn't expect anything else really. ;)

I see. Not sure if i really understand it, but i will test it out on a live object next time. thank you! ;)

So relating performance. I had this particular vector file and i was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and see if it happens for you too.

I downloaded "48621924" on adobe stock. It should be a file with couple of oldschool heart tattoo tingies. When i try to edit it, my AD lags out the wazoo. I ungrouped all of the groups and it gave me a beachball for about 10 minutes until it executed the command. Dragging around stuff also is as laggy and stuttery as you'd expect at that point.

Is this in general something one can expect from large, or bad designed vector files due to the insane amount of details that have to be calculated or in fact something AD has to be improved on to handle files like that better?

Cheers

Tim

Have any of you tried the beta which was released on the 15th? It looks as though this includes the fix for performance issues with rulers as well as some other general improvements. 

@unculturedswine - I don't think there's anything we particularly need from the Activity Monitor but it would be great if you could let me know if the beta resolves the issue for you. 

I noticed that the performance issue I am experiencing with the Affinity products seems to be rather old - just found this thread.

Any news how to fix the lag issue with rulers, dragging objects, scaling objects.

I sadly have to say that Affinity Designer and Photo when using those three things can render the software plain unusable.

I thought first it was because I use GTX 970s and NVIDIA web drivers in my MacPro  but Farbenfeuer uses AMD cards.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

So relating performance. I had this particular vector file and i was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and see if it happens for you too.

I downloaded "48621924" on adobe stock. It should be a file with couple of oldschool heart tattoo tingies. When i try to edit it, my AD lags out the wazoo. I ungrouped all of the groups and it gave me a beachball for about 10 minutes until it executed the command. Dragging around stuff also is as laggy and stuttery as you'd expect at that point.

Is this in general something one can expect from large, or bad designed vector files due to the insane amount of details that have to be calculated or in fact something AD has to be improved on to handle files like that better?

Cheers

Tim

I just made a screenshot of my desktop and used that image and Photo and Designer render unusable when placing that image.

Sometimes removing the image, saving the file, closing it, and then opening it again seems to bring the speed back but it defeats the

ability for Affinity to work with bigger images in with my hardware.

But I also noticed that when placing text on a path Designer lags dramatically.

On my surfaceBook it runs fine.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

I have the same (or similar) performance issues with AP 1.5.1. Before this update I was able to open 10 RAW files simultaneously and all my modification were fast without any delays. Now I have to open RAW files one by one and all steps are slow and annoying.

I know that my Mac isn't any hardware killer but for my others activities is powerful enough.

(Mac mini Late 2014; 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5; 8GB RAM and SSD drive).

I cannot find out if is available some demo of AP1.5.1 for Windows OS. My Windows machine is more powerful than this Mac.

Windows trial version downloaded so I going to testing ;-).

edit: RAW developing, export to JPG and so on is really faster on 4 core i5@4GHz but memory issue is valid for Windows version as well. 8GB RAM isn't enough anymore...

Though I'm not on a MAC, I have experienced this issue as well.  If I work with any HI-res or RAW image, both Designer and Photo lag like no other.  I get the Program Unresponsive message at the top and then about 30 seconds to a minute later I'll get access to the program again.  Pretty much makes it useless to use for any really detailed photo/imaging work. I've found that I can also only work with 1 Hi-res/RAW file at a time as opening up more than one makes the programs perform even worse.  Can't wait for this to be fixed.

Run Windows 10 Pro 64bit with 2.4GHz on 8GB of DDR3 Ram.  Worked like a charm until the last few updates.