You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Improve snapping in Designer

Add snapping to the self line point belongs to. Imagine, the point is between 2 another point and when I moving, and line becomes straight — bang and it is snapper similar like to another geometry. And you can move ahead this straight line. And it still snapping to another geometry. So I can snap to some curve and make line straight at once, it is impossible now.

If you have three points which are not in a straight line, and you want a straight line between the two end points, why do you need to move and snap the point in between? Surely all you need to do is delete that point, or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to describe?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you have three points which are not in a straight line, and you want a straight line between the two end points, why do you need to move and snap the point in between? Surely all you need to do is delete that point, or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to describe?

After getting straight line, I need to break inner point and remove half of the line.

So, you delete the middle node to make the line straight, and then add a new node where you want to break the line. I think you're making things more complicated than necessary.

Alfred spacer.png

So, you delete the middle node to make the line straight, and then add a new node where you want to break the line. I think you're making things more complicated than necessary.

I want to break the line exactly in intersection of the lines! Try to understand what I am talking about.

I want to break the line exactly in intersection of the lines!

I thought you only had one line, not two intersecting lines!

Try to understand what I am talking about.

That's what I'm doing. I'm sure we'll get there.

Alfred spacer.png

I thought you only had one line, not two intersecting lines!

That's what I'm doing. I'm sure we'll get there.

Yes, I have the second intersecting line. And I need the point to be moved to intersection, and to get straight line also. In Illustrator I just can add point into intersection, no problem with that.

• Staff

@bodich

Simplest thing here is to draw a diagram of exactly what you mean.  Then we can understand the feature you are requesting.  It might be that you can already achieve what you want, but I'll be able to tell from a picture or example afdesign document.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

I believe bodich is trying to move the point on the blue line over the red line until it finds the intersection between the red line and an "auxiliary" (non-existent) straight line connecting the two end points of the blue line (screenshot).

As far as i know this is not possible because the Node Tool doesn't let you snap to/create a node between the intersection of two lines (deleting the mid-point in the blue line first). However the Pen Tool does detect the intersection between the two. So, there's a way to solve the problem (using a third auxiliary line) but it's too cumbersome just to create a node at the intersection between the two lines. Or am i missing something?

post-59-0-41148800-1476700374_thumb.png

• Staff

ok - this can already be done, another way.

Start with a straight line that intersects the point you want to snap to.  Using the Node tool, create a new point on the straight line.  Then with snapping on, hold Shift and drag the point to the intersection.  It will constrain to the line, and snap to the intersection point.  You may need to select the other object, or have it as a snapping candidate for this to work.

post-17-0-62919800-1476701643_thumb.png

If you already have a point that needs to snap to this intersection, delete it first, then recreate it on the straight line.

I'm reluctant to add snapping to put a point inline between two other adjacent points, because for the majority of cases you'd never want this - it would create a redundant point in your curve.

Also, to predetermine extra projections between non-adjacent nodes (i.e., to project an intersection between nodes 1 and 3), would add more complication to the snapping engine, not in terms of performance but possibly in terms of usability.

It may be that the Snapping Projections feature will cater for this.  This was a feature that was prototyped a while ago, but was held back until we were happy that it worked to our standards.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Great solution but i'm not sure it's intuitive enough. You have to create the node on the other line to get the result you want. The first thing a user will think of is to simply drag the node from the original line where the node is to the point where he wants it.

Apart from this problem in particular, i think it would be really nice if we could add nodes to the selected line (with the Node Tool) where it intersects another.

• Staff

Yes - I can see that as a reasonable addition.  Node creation at an existing intersection would be useful.

But, for the OP example, I'd not want to add that particular snapping to the basic model.  I think it may be solved with Projections, when we add it.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I believe bodich is trying to move the point on the blue line over the red line until it finds the intersection between the red line and an "auxiliary" (non-existent) straight line connecting the two end points of the blue line (screenshot).

As far as i know this is not possible because the Node Tool doesn't let you snap to/create a node between the intersection of two lines (deleting the mid-point in the blue line first). However the Pen Tool does detect the intersection between the two. So, there's a way to solve the problem (using a third auxiliary line) but it's too cumbersome just to create a node at the intersection between the two lines. Or am i missing something?

attachicon.gifdiagram.png

MEB is absolutely right, thanks for draft. I just wanted to draw it but you made it first) So I can not add something more. You know the problem, if you will improve it, would be great. 

And tell me please, how to speed up zoom? And how to disable one annoying thing — zoom like snapping in some points, maybe to some percentages?

Yes - I can see that as a reasonable addition.  Node creation at an existing intersection would be useful.

But, for the OP example, I'd not want to add that particular snapping to the basic model.  I think it may be solved with Projections, when we add it.

And one more thing. This feature I proposed can be much more useful if point will snap to relative line, AND also snapping to not existing continuation of line that we imagine, to make line longer but not change it's shape and position. Line could be straight or round...