To quote the help file.

"Select the node at the point at which you want the curve to break and click Break Curve on the context toolbar."

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

To quote the help file.

"Select the node at the point at which you want the curve to break and click Break Curve on the context toolbar."

Designer crashes(((

To quote the help file.

The problem — I can't break curve in symbol. When I braking curve in symbol, layer just removes... And designer crashes only if i breaking curve in symbol. Curve became like ghost. I can see only contour and it does not exist in layers and symbol anymore. If I deselect it, it completely disappears.

I haven't done a lot of work w. symbols, but elements in symbols are different than in ordinary layer objects. My experience is that altering the underlying object geometry After it is a symbol does odd things. I just tried what you described, and had the same results.

I guess changing the object geometry breaks the symbol. I've been trying to get the shape I want before making the layer object into a symbol so this doesn't happen.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I haven't done a lot of work w. symbols, but elements in symbols are different than in ordinary layer objects. My experience is that altering the underlying object geometry After it is a symbol does odd things. I just tried what you described, and had the same results.

I guess changing the object geometry breaks the symbol. I've been trying to get the shape I want before making the layer object into a symbol so this doesn't happen.

Yep, the same object added in existing symbol makes all good. So it is just a bug, hope it will be solved.

I can replicate this by adding a shape, converting to curves and creating a Symbol. I then select the Symbol and break one of the corner nodes - the curve/shape now disappears but is still selected. Press CMD+Z and the app crashes.

I will get this logged with our developers - thanks for letting us know :)