You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Move tool: Ctrl + Drag does not select objects as expected

According to this video, holding down Ctrl when drawing a box with the move tool should change the selection behavior.

With Ctrl pressed, any object touching the marked area should be selected, however this does not work on Windows. Objects still need to be fully within the area to be selected, even though I'm holding down Ctrl.

I've tried Shift and Alt, but no modifier key seems to have this effect.

Thanks.

PS: Your program is totally awesome nonetheless. It's just a joy to learn about the features and how simple and well thought out things are. :wub:

Enjoying Affinity Designer on Windows 10. Check out my Bootstrap themes

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, arechsteiner. :)

According to this video, holding down Ctrl when drawing a box with the move tool should change the selection behavior.

That video was made for the Mac version, where the Cmd key is roughly equivalent to the Ctrl key on Windows. The Ctrl key on a Mac is an extra key for which we don't have a counterpart on our Windows keyboards.

The Help says

Pressing the right mouse button selects objects which are only partially covered by the selection marquee.*

but I can't get that to work here (and I don't see a footnote to go with the asterisk in the text).

@NeilP: The "select object when intersects with selection marquee" option is fine if you always want that behaviour, but whether you have the option switched on or off it should always be possible to override it with a modifier key, or via a right-click or a middle-click. (The latter is no use to me on this laptop, because the construction of the touchpad is such that I can't press the left and right buttons both at the same time.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

with the move tool selected, depress the left mouse button then the right mouse button and dragging over the items will select them - works for me.

I can press the right mouse button at any time during a drag with the left mouse button depressed and the items are selected

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, arechsteiner. :)

Thank you. Glad to be here.

That video was made for the Mac version, where the Cmd key is roughly equivalent to the Ctrl key on Windows. The Ctrl key on a Mac is an extra key for which we don't have a counterpart on our Windows keyboards.

The Help says

but I can't get that to work here (and I don't see a footnote to go with the asterisk in the text).

I understand that the shortcuts will not always match, that's why I tried Shift and Alt as well. Since no modifier worked, I assumed that this has not been carried over yet.

However, the right mouse button works as described and does the job. I could not have guessed that by myself though. Thank you.

Enjoying Affinity Designer on Windows 10. Check out my Bootstrap themes

The Ctrl key on a Mac is an extra key for which we don't have a counterpart on our Windows keyboards.

We use Right-Click for the fourth modifier on Windows, which probably wouldn't work well in this scenario! Like you say, we don't have another key available to us, unfortunately.

We use Right-Click for the fourth modifier on Windows, which probably wouldn't work well in this scenario! Like you say, we don't have another key available to us, unfortunately.

Personally I find the Right-Click in addition to the Left-Click as a modifier a little awkward.

But I admit, after a little practicing I got the hang of it:

1) Start dragging with the left mouse key pressed around object 1.

2) Additionally press the right mouse key and move partially across object 2.

3) Let go the left mouse key.

4) Then (no matter how long it takes) let go the right mouse key > both objects are selected.

I hope this helps some of others who wonder how to work this mouse key combination  :)

Perhaps this is a topic for a video tutorial?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.