R C-R

[AD 1.5.1 Mac] Problem with the View (hand) tool spacebar shortcut

Prior to updating AD to version 1.5, when I used the spacebar to temporarily switch to the View tool, releasing the spacebar would always revert to the previously used tool.

Now, if the last thing I did before using that shortcut was to click on anything in the Layers panel, releasing the spacebar after dragging the view in the document window does not return me to the last used tool -- the View tool has become "sticky" & I have to select whatever other tool I want to use from the Tools palette.

Is this a known bug or something I am just misunderstanding about the 1.5.x version works or something else like a problem with my installed copy of AD?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

We have the same problem for a long time when working too fast. Very often with hot key zooming. For example: zoom cursor is visible but node tool is activated but is no longer working. :-(

The spacebar grabber sticks with me but only sometimes.  When it does, clicking on the previous tool has no effect and the only thing that releases it is to tap the spacebar again.  Then it reverts to the previous tool.

Hi R C-R,

I haven't been able to recreate this issue here at my end I'm afraid. Would you be able to give me a set of steps to follow that can reproduce this issue?

C

Callum,

This seems to manifest itself differently for different users, but for me the following steps will do it some but not all of the time:

1. On the canvas, select an object with the Move tool.

2. Move the pointer into the Layers panel & click on that or any other object.

3. Move the pointer back into the canvas.

4. Hold down the spacebar, move the canvas, & release the spacebar.

When it 'sticks' the Move tool is still shown as selected in the Tools palette, but the pointer retains the hand shape & I can't do anything on the canvas until I either click on the Move or some other tool in the palette or tap the spacebar again.

Annoyingly, I just duplicated this behavior once on a document I had open behind my browser while I was typing this reply, but I could not duplicate it two times in a row.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

OK, here is another way to (sometimes?) get this bug to appear:

1. Select some objects with the Move tool.

2. Hold down the option key & drag out a duplicate set to some other spot on the canvas.

3. Immediately hold down the spacebar & move the canvas view.

4. Release the spacebar & (sometimes?) the View tool icon & sticky behavior persists until the spacebar is tapped again.

I have been able to reproduce this consistently with the following steps:

1. Hold down spacebar.

2. Click and drag with the hand tool (but don't release the mouse button).

3. Release the spacebar.

4. Release the mouse button.

In a nutshell, if I release the spacebar before the mouse button I'm stuck with the hand tool until I press the spacebar again.

I have been able to reproduce this consistently with the following steps:

1. Hold down spacebar.

2. Click and drag with the hand tool (but don't release the mouse button).

3. Release the spacebar.

4. Release the mouse button.

In a nutshell, if I release the spacebar before the mouse button I'm stuck with the hand tool until I press the spacebar again.

This happens for me too, so far with 100% consistency.