You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a simple ND gradient effect on a JPG sky?

OK, thanks MEB, so just that I get my head around this... 

- I selected my sky but excluded the big tower block in the middle

- I created a new layer based on the selection (command J)

- I then applied the gradient as per the video examples

So instead I should select and then choose 'New Fill Layer' which will automatically be from selection...

But if I save without saving the history, I lose the ability to modify the gradients (just did this with a small test file)

Correct?

• Staff

Hi Moscool,

I'm not sure I'm following you. Which method are you trying to follow from this video, the first (from beginning) or the second (starts at 1m:52s)?

- In the first method there's no way to keep the gradient of the Adjustment's mask editable

- In the second method instead of a Pixel layer you can use a Fill layer (menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer) which will keep the gradient editable when you select it in the Layers panel with the Gradient Tool selected.

Why are you creating a selection from the sky? Neither of the methods used by James on the video uses a selection....

Am I missing something here?

Or are you trying to limit the ND gradient to the sky instead of the whole picture?

Your solution is correct MEB (fill layer) but the video creates a simple pixel layer which then becomes non editable once it has been committed. The fill layer's gradient remains editable even after closing/saving and no history (as long as you select the gradient tool).