You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP/APB unable to properly open dng file

I decided to create a pseudo hdr sequence from some raw images by creating virtual copies in my workflow tool, adjusting them accordingly, processing them and then opening the resulting files in APB using the HDR functionality. Normally when I do this I use tiff format but decided to use dng instead thinking the resulting HDR image might be a bit more adjustable but when APB loaded these images all I got was a black image.

I then loaded one of the images into APB as a raw image, but only got a black image. I then tried the MAS version, but got the same results. I then opened it in Photoshop Elements to make sure the image was actually OK, but it opened properly in Elements. Apparently AP and APB have problems with this dng format. The file can be found here.

There is a know issue with DNG files and the Serif Labs raw engine.

Try in developer mode going to VIEW - Assistance Manager and change the Raw Engine to "Apple (Core engine RAW) then restart Affinity Photo and should find can then see the image.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not help much with APB. It did change the displayed image from being all black to being all white, but it was still unusable with no detail visible.

I tried doing the HDR with the change setting but it also resulted in a completely white image. However the change did have a positive effect for AP where the image displayed normally. I guess there was some change between AP and APB since APB does not work properly with dng images even with the raw engine change.

Hi Mike, Don’t often use DNG but out of curiosity tried this out after reading your post.

Converted a NEF file to DNG which opened in AP 1.42 no problem. Tried to open in APB.6 but as you found, the DNG only opened as a black or white b/g depending on raw converter.

Then tried out the NEF file which oddly was the same.  Quit and CNTRL + ALT reset APB.6.  Both DNG & NEF loaded no problem.

Then tried opening your file in APB.6 using both raw cores in turn but it only displayed as B/W b/g, despite showing ok in Preview.  Which is odd as Preview presumably uses Apple core raw.

Closed your file, loaded my DNG again and it had reverted to display just black or white b/g.  Reset APB.6 and again my files opened as expected.  Not much help to you but interesting, some toxic file you have there for such a tranquil spot!  

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.