You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request - Contour / offset

• 2 months later...
On 05/07/2016 at 6:41 PM, JamesB said:

+ 1 on this 

It was the first thing i tried to do on AD as I frequently use it in illustrator (offset path) as it's great for borders and icons in my UI artist job.

I agree adding and outline and expanding it is a pain, especially on complex objects having to delete the inner most nodes to make it solid.

I know its been over a year since this post, however I'll add to this for future readers.

Instead of painstakingly removing all the inner nodes to just leave the outer, I first make a copy of the object I'm about to expand stroke on, then after expanding stroke I centre the copied object back over the expanded object and use the "Add" button to merge them together. This removes all the inner pieces on the basis that the copied object was inbetween the size of the strokes outer and inner contours.

On 8/11/2014 at 6:29 AM, MEB said:

Drawplus, Coreldraw and Xara (all versions) on PC offer this feature. On the Mac, besides Illustrator, i don't know one that can do it too. Which is surprising since it's a rather simple feature.

Graphic (iDraw), Inkscape, and even the free version of Silhouette Studio have offset.  So much easier than expand stroke and then fixing it!!!!  I'm surprised that we don't have it yet.  I love SO much about AD.  But there are a couple of basic things missing and I'm hoping we get them soon!

• 5 months later...

I too would love to see an offset stroke feature for Designer. I've already run into multiple situations where I've had to stop my work on the iPad, export the file into Illustrator and offset strokes... then move it back to the iPad. This isn't super annoying when I'm near my desk but it literally halts my work if I'm not as I don't want to spend my time finding semi-workarounds.

It seems like previous posts from several years ago hinted this was coming and that it wasn't a complicated feature, would love to have this.

My current workflow is to start with AD to design then export to cut my files in Silhouette Studio Business Edition.  BUT if I want to offset, then the workflow is SS to AD then. back to SS.   A cutting software not having design tools makes sense.  But having to use it for designing doesn’t. 

• 6 months later...

At the risk of being redundant, I'm adding my +1 on this subject. I use the contour feature extensively. Since Designer doesn't have this feature, I find myself going back to DrawPlus frequently. This wouldn't be such an issue if I could create my contour in DP and then import the file and finish the work in Designer but the files are incompatible. Frankly, I think the incompatibility issue is a major faux pas particularly given that AD was marketed first to DP users. Going forward, this means I will always have to have two graphics programs available on my computer in order to access and edit work created in the legacy program.

This thread was started four years ago and still no progress on the contour feature? Disappointing to say the least.

Gitana the Creative Diva

On 1/20/2019 at 8:22 PM, gypsiwoman said:

At the risk of being redundant, I'm adding my +1 on this subject. I use the contour feature extensively. Since Designer doesn't have this feature, I find myself going back to DrawPlus frequently. This wouldn't be such an issue if I could create my contour in DP and then import the file and finish the work in Designer but the files are incompatible. Frankly, I think the incompatibility issue is a major faux pas particularly given that AD was marketed first to DP users. Going forward, this means I will always have to have two graphics programs available on my computer in order to access and edit work created in the legacy program.

This thread was started four years ago and still no progress on the contour feature? Disappointing to say the least.

Gitana the Creative Diva

+1

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

This would be less disappointing if we hadn't been told from the get-go that this is an easy feature to add, and if it wasn't a common feature among even the free graphic apps.  I know Affinity has added a lot of bells and whistles to the app, but I really really need the basics!!!

All said, AD is still the best Mac (non-Adobe subscription) software you can buy.  But I'm referring it with much less enthusiasm than I did four years ago.

For those of you who own both Affinity Designer and Serif DrawPlus, the workaround I have been using is to create my image in Designer and export it as an SVG. import it into DP to create a contour around it, export the contour as an SVG file, open it in Designer, then copy the image and paste it into my work space. A bit cumbersome to say the least but it affords me an option not found in Designer.

Has anyone else found a viable workaround? Inquiring minds want to know.

Gitana the Creative Diva

Edited by gypsiwoman

An explanation would go a long way.  If there have been unforeseen aspects, just let us now.  But for over three years we've been told "Be patient, it's coming" and now we are being told "Be patient, it will be coming in a later version."  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 8:47 PM, Busenitz said:

An explanation would go a long way.  If there have been unforeseen aspects, just let us now.  But for over three years we've been told "Be patient, it's coming" and now we are being told "Be patient, it will be coming in a later version."  

It should be painfully clear to you by now after so many YEARS that this feature - an many other basic features - have low or no business priority in Serifs strategy. I don't know if you guys live forever or if time simply has no value in your lifes - but why wait? It is quite obvious that Designer targets very specific types of digital artists, very few professionals and that Serif is probably fine with it.

There is a lot of foolish Führerbunker optimism in this forum - but now I personally don't expect Designer to get any complex or semi-complex vector features. Serif made a great user interface on top of a small machine and they will make some money of it. Works for them. Waiting for so many years for probably nothing doesn't work for me.

It is all a nightmare if Publisher doesn't evolve into a nice workhorse like PagePlus.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...

I bought AD (both platforms) in the hope that one of my absolutely-must-have (and promised) features (an offset tool) would be incorporated. After 4 yrs, nothing  - contrary to the promises - I'm quite sad about that as I had hoped to move away from $$$ Adobe $$$ products :-(((

I see lots of completely impractical (for me at least) bells and whistles added, but not quality basic features fully available in illustrator or even coreldraw.

I keep coming back at regular intervals to see any improvements, but I suppose that you get what you pay for.

There must be thousands of laser/cnc - even vinyl cutter users DESPERATE for these features and wanting to get away from adobe.

Anyone want my copies ? (are they even transferable licences ???)  - currently (and it seems, the forseeable future), they're cack all use to me.)

/rant

• 1 year later...