You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request - Contour / offset

• Staff

Hi Busenitz,

As far as i know there's no contour or offset tool in Affinity Designer yet, and i agree it's useful for a lot of situations.

The only thing that comes close in Affinity is if you apply a stroke filter to the shape. Make sure you have alignment set to inside. This however is an effect applied to the object and cannot be converted to curves, so if you need to edit or change it in any way you're stuck. That's why an offset tool would be a good addition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

WONDERFUL!  Non-existent in all other vector programs (except AI - way out of my price range!)

Drawplus, Coreldraw and Xara (all versions) on PC offer this feature. On the Mac, besides Illustrator, i don't know one that can do it too. Which is surprising since it's a rather simple feature.

• 7 months later...

Just adding a +1 for the contour tool.

Years ago I used it extensively in CorelDRAW and use path offset in Illustrator. The contour tool was really great as you could apply contour > break apart > apply a fill to the contour to create really neat text and object outlines or inner reflections.  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My first project ever in affinity designer and I needed the blooming contour, couldn't find it anywhere, only to come here and see it appears it is not available.  Had to switch back to windows / Drawplus 8x to get the job done.

It was a vinyl cutting job of a medallion type logo, so I needed a larger perimeter black border around the entire logo.

While I certainly am excited about the prospects of Affinity Designer, that was certainly disappointing.

Ken

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+ 1 on this 

It was the first thing i tried to do on AD as I frequently use it in illustrator (offset path) as it's great for borders and icons in my UI artist job.

I agree adding and outline and expanding it is a pain, especially on complex objects having to delete the inner most nodes to make it solid.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is an absolute must for my workflow. I've been creating them in CorelDraw and importing the vector into Designer to add the excellent f\x features. DrawPlus had a super cool Filter Effects dialog similar to the one in Photoshop. Since it remained a vector, I considered it better than Photoshop's.

2 hours ago, folivio said:

DrawPlus had a super cool Filter Effects dialog similar to the one in Photoshop. Since it remained a vector, I considered it better than Photoshop's.

That's interesting, Frank! I was under the impression that all DrawPlus filter effects were rendered as bitmap.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)