You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit text content in symbols

Does using a text style help? That allows the different text to share formatting. Changing the style would change all the text in the symbols in the document. The caveat, currently, is that if you add another symbol instance after such a change, the new instance will notice the document uses the same style name with different formatting, and resolve the clash by renaming its style so that it preserves its original appearance. You'd need to either update the symbol after changing the text style, or else apply the document's text style to new symbol instances.

An option to say whether symbols with text styles should use their own style definition or the document's, would make this easier.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

+1 for me as well.

Currently I'm evaluating different tools for creating UI/UX concepts.

Affinity Designer is one of the favorites, but missing this feature could be the killer feature ... :-(

One solution would be make this feature for text only - or even let the user select in a list of checkboxes, what attributes of the symbol are synced or not.

• 3 years later...

+1

Maybe I'm just not getting it, since it seems like one of the main reasons to even create a symbol.

I have multiple artboards, with text in one. I make that text a symbol and duplicate it for each artboard. On some artboards I change the color - for this, I disable sync, change the color, re-enable sync. When I now change the font of one symbol instance, only that symbol instances' font is changed.

What I'd expect is that all the fonts change - i.e. that text color and font are independent attributes. I'm assuming this is the issue here, that the text color is desynchronized and for some reason also the font.