You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, is there any preview mode in AD? One command to see the document without border, lines and so on - just the document in full screen. This would be very helpful!

And one more thing: are you planing to make something like Adobe-Lightroom?

Thx

Hi Eisbar,

when you press the tab key, you get a simple preview (unfortunately the guides lines are visible). But better than nothing.
KoBu

Win10 HP i7 - AD (Win), AP (Win), APub (Win), AD (iPad), AP (iPad),
Affinity Photo for iPad Pro - the best app I ever had
excuse my bad English

again - I think there must be a solution. See in the attached screen how difficult it is to get an overview without this disturbing lines!

to get a preview - or at least a something like that - I have to export the file in jpeg and open with viewer. Or while scrolling the document in AD very slow the disturbing lines disappear.

post-23867-0-89381500-1476657631_thumb.jpg

Those purple lines are there to show the snapping candidates. Go to the Alignment toolbar and click on the white triangle next to the Snapping button (the red magnet) to display a flyout for the snapping options. Clear the 'Show snapping candidates' checkbox.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Since new users so often do not understand why the the purple outlines are there or how to hide them, I wonder if this would be a good topic for a "sticky" post at the top of the Questions forum....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Hej Her out there,

since this is one of THE first threads to come up when researching the issue, I may jump this train as well.

As far as I know, there's currently no shortcut to make a quick preview of your design, right?
I mean, if you fiddle around with a lot of lines, trying to arrange stuff and neatly positioning it, plus you're working with text (so redlines of autocorrect are on) etc. etc.
Your screen is just a mess of lines. ^^

So to quickly (like the big A-Contenter does for example) switch into a preview-mode – to look at your work without distraction and fiddle around while you're there – would be awesome Serif! :)
Yes, I can switch them off one by one, but this really is a tedious way of doing so.

Am I missing something, or hasn't it arrived yet?

thx

// sort of freelancer // professionally designing things digital and IRL // products - gfx - light - UI & UX //

If you press Ctrl + ;  the guides disappear, if you click the magnet the snapping guides disappear. If they are even on.

As for the spelling lines, why don't you just switch them off if you are ignoring them ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

No, View > Preview Mode is only in Publisher. In Designer you'll have to turn off the items you don't want to see individually.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, View > Preview Mode is only in Publisher. In Designer you'll have to turn off the items you don't want to see individually.

Thanks for answering

I can't believe it, It's so necessary like in Publisher

I was designing a trifold for printing and it's very useful to preview it.

So I will have to use Publisher for printing items and Designer only for logos and some internet staff; nonsense 

You're welcome.

If you have both, there are a number of good reasons for working in Publisher, and using its Designer Persona as needed, rather than working in Designer, if you're doing much with text.

You have much more flexibility in working with Frame Text (linked frames with text flowing between them, automatic hyphenation, ...), you have Find/Replace, Preview Mode, and other functions that may or may not ever be added to Designer.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You're welcome.

If you have both, there are a number of good reasons for working in Publisher, and using its Designer Persona as needed, rather than working in Designer, if you're doing much with text.

You have much more flexibility in working with Frame Text (linked frames with text flowing between them, automatic hyphenation, ...), you have Find/Replace, Preview Mode, and other functions that may or may not ever be added to Designer.

I guess those functions won't be added to split Publisher and Designer goals; so being a beginner in Affinity, I think every piece to design where text takes up most part and for printing purposes, has to be done in Publisher

11 minutes ago, Tone Camara said:

I guess those functions won't be added to split Publisher and Designer goals; so being a beginner in Affinity, I think every piece to design where text takes up most part and for printing purposes, has to be done in Publisher

I think that is the direction Serif would like the Affinity users to go. But only Serif knows how the functions might be partitioned among the applications in the future.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

2021. I need it, I am making some tilesset, and I must remove all the lines, etc, to see how it looks. Any solution today? a simple preview button would be beautiful.

Edited .... I could achieve it with ( CTRL+' ) and ( CTRL+; )

A little weird those shortcuts, but hey, it is what it is.

Edited by JuancitoP

• 2 months later...

Hello, is there still no solution in Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer to have a quick preview without lines and the red spelling check lines below text?

It would be really helpful without one having to switch it all off one by one!

CTRL+; oder Control+' does not work for this.

• 9 months later...

+1 for a Quick Preview mode in Affinity Designer. 

Coming from Illustrator, even though it's not perfect there, the preview mode is very helpful to see an artboard in fullscreen and use the keyboard arrows to navigate on different artboards, and choose the best layout variation for example.

• 1 month later...