simpsondesign

Symbols Not Working - AD 1.5

Symbols are essentially not working at all for me. After creating the initial symbol, if I drag/drop it onto two different artboards, then add a child element to either symbol instance, nothing happens. 

I've ensure the "Synch" is enabled, and I've even tried every permutation of turning synch on/off for each symbol instance.

I've rebooted my machine in hopes that'd have some impact. No luck. Getting pretty frustrated - this has become incredibly time consuming.

temp.afdesign

post-38113-0-63026200-1476299829_thumb.png

Hi simpsondesign,

Sorry you're having issues :(  I had a quick look at your file and I noticed that the top-left artboard contains an instance of the symbol that says it has unlinked Structure (i.e. changes to its structure will not propagate to other instances). I don't know how it got into this state, but the second instance (on the artboard to the right of it) correctly has structure linked. In fact, if I drop in a few more instances of your symbol and start adding to it, everything works as expected - with the exception of that symbol instance on the top left artboard, which is different for some reason?

Was there anything in particular that you might have done to cause that symbol instance to act strangely?

Thanks,

Matt

As a quick fix, you could simply delete the two instances of the symbol called “header” from your document and drop this symbol to your artboards anew. That worked for me perfectly, and it is done in a second …  :)

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

(You might try it with the document below …)

temp-fixed.afdesign

Hi Alex,

I just created an entirely new document and am having the same problem. Synching is definitely not working...

I've made absolutely certain (on the first file and now this one) that synching is enabled. For the second file, Synching was turned on from the start and I never turned it off for any instance of any symbol. 

As for the first file I sent, I don't know why the first symbol would display as detached for you, because I made certain each instance was synched.

I can reproduce this issue reliably in every file I've created or edited. Sometimes the symbols start out ok, synching as expected, but they inevitably break, in my case, 100% of the time :/

I thought perhaps it was a bug with artboards that had the same name, so I ensured to name the artboards uniquely in the second test file. Unfortunately the issue persists.

Thanks for looking into this! This is going to be essential for me to cutover from Sketch (which I hope to do ASAP!)

Regards,

Jim

post-38113-0-98507000-1476302110_thumb.png

post-38113-0-06347500-1476302113_thumb.png

temp2.afdesign

One other bit of detail - after creating a symbol, I'm typically copying/pasting it from one artboard to another vs dragging new instances out from the Symbols panel.

Any chance that could have something to do with it?

Hi Guys,

Here's a video demonstrating the bug: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7380p4o6s2q4ymz/bug.mp4?dl=0

As you can see, part way through, the symbol suddenly stops working, even though it was never detached. I'm demonstrating both copying/pasting symbols as well as dragging from the symbol panel. 

After the symbol broke, I deleted the erroneous symbol and dragged a new instance out from the symbol panel. All 4 began working again. This is happening seemingly randomly and with every duplicate symbol I've worked with so far :( 

Thanks,

Jim

temp2.afdesign

Wow, that is a pretty weird issue …  :blink:

I can reproduce the problem with your document, but as soon as I create a new one and try to reproduce the issue there, everything is just fine. And there is another point. Whenever I drag your “header” symbol to the canvas, the new instance looks like below. Hmm.

By the way, have you ever tried to reset the app? You could hold down Control while you click the app symbol in Launchpad. But App Cleaner should care for the preferences files as well …   :unsure:

Alex

(By the way, I am on Sierra too. Hmm.)

post-1198-0-91468300-1476306176_thumb.png

For me, it's not based on a specific file. Every single document I've created has this issue.

I just uninstalled/reinstalled and it's happening again. I also performed an app reset via Launchpad. No luck.

Here is a video (and attached file) demonstrating how bad the issue becomes, using an entirely new document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxpuaa6p2gxoxxp/ad-bug.mp4?dl=0

testbed.afdesign

I've just discovered an ancillary issue. When I use the history scrubber to review my changes, it crashes the app. On top of that, it resets the entire interface and I lose all of my custom panel positions and settings. This happens every time I scrub the history.

Your window state (where you've put the panels etc) will only be saved when you shut down the application - but if you crash the application then it won't save the window state, so that's why it appears to be resetting things. To get around this, just position things where you like and shut down properly once and everything will remain where it should be. Obviously, we didn't intend for the user to be crashing all the time, so it was never imagined to be a problem... :/ 

It's worth also pointing out that the Sync button is a document-wide property, not a per-instance property. It is a state that affects what happens whenever you edit any object and is not related to the selected item itself, nor is it reflecting anything about the current item.

Resetting the application, uninstalling or anything else will not have any effect on this problem - it must simply be that there's a certain way that you use symbols that I'm not doing the right thing, but I'm not able to reproduce the problem that you show, which is what's confusing me - it would be more interesting to see what happened when you started your document, made the symbol then copied/duplicated/dragged on new instances as it must be this stage that the important difference is lurking. Once the Structure of a symbol instance is unlinked, your symbol will act as shown so I'm not surprised by what I see - but it's how you got in that state without touching the Sync button that is the question. Once we find out how it's happening, I'll be able to fix it - but right now I can't get it to go wrong at all for me? :S

Thanks again for your time,

Matt

Hi Jim,

it might sound stupid, but just to make sure … I would create your header the following way:

• Create a new document, using one of the standard presets (1).
  • Create a rectangle, a circle, and an art text object (2).
  • Group these objects, select the group, and click “Create” on the Symbols panel (3).
  • Drag the created symbol to the canvas in order to create a new instance (4).
  • Add a rectangle to one of the instances (5).

Now, when you follow this recipe, does your document fail again?  :unsure:

Alex

post-1198-0-33683800-1476343422_thumb.png

post-1198-0-64451000-1476343428_thumb.png

post-1198-0-35226000-1476343433_thumb.png

post-1198-0-43872800-1476343438_thumb.png

post-1198-0-81134600-1476343443_thumb.png

post-1198-0-81928400-1476343449_thumb.png

Yes, this is exactly what I've done on all of the documents and videos I've shared so far. 

Please watch the last video. It gives a perfect demonstration of how bad this issue is. Symbols break completely in this scenario.

The video (https://www.dropbox....ad-bug.mp4?dl=0) is showing you a rectangle that I added a few basic objects to (inner rectangles and text). I began the document using Web presets.

Symbols are effectively not working at all.

Thanks for the detailed answer, Matt. I don't believe I'm doing anything out of the ordinary and I can repeat this behavior nearly every time I create a symbol.

I will try to start a document from scratch and cause the break so you have a full video record of how it's occurring.

Below is the file and a link of a broken symbol example from the start of a new document to the error.

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dji7lw6xqpoeoke/demo-bug.mp4?dl=0

Steps:

1) Created new document using presets

2) Create new artboard, duplicate artboard 3 times

3) Place a rectangle on artboard, name it, and convert to symbol (notice "Sync" was never unchecked at any point in the video)

4) Drag / drop symbol onto artboards 2 & 3.

5) Alt+Drag symbol from artboard 3 to artboard 4 (to test different methods).

6) Add text to first symbol instance. ERROR OCCURS. See artboard 3 - the text never appears.

7) Add Circle object. ERROR OCCURS. See artboard 3 - the circle never appears.

8) Recall that this is the symbol that I Alt+Dragged from to add the symbol on the 4th artboard.

While this demonstration illustrates the error after Alt+Dragging, I've also had it occur reliably with Dragging + Dropping as well as Copying + Pasting.

demo-bug.afdesign

Got it! :D  Thank you for your video - that explains a lot! The bug is when you Alt/Option+Drag to copy the symbol onto another artboard, this erroneously counts as modifying the structure of that one instance (because it's parent has changed compared to the instance you copied it from as it's now on a different artboard) and detaches that attribute in error.

I can definitely fix this now and will do so asap. In the meantime, just drag the instances on from the Symbols panel and it will work exactly as you'd expect. I apologise for the inconvenience in the interim :(

Many thanks again,

Matt

Guys, to add some detail - I am able to reproduce this error even when ALL symbols are drag+dropped from the Symbols panel. In other words, it is not based on Alt+Dragging or Copying/Pasting. It occurs with symbols directly from the Symbols panel.

In my scenario, this is how I reproed:

1) Create an artboard.

2) Create symbol in artboard.

3) Drag/drop 4 instances of symbol onto that artboard from the Symbols panel.

5) Draw a new artboard (do NOT copy/paste artboard). Repeat until you have 4 artboards.

6) Drag one of the 4 symbols from the original artboard to each of the new artboards, so that each artboard has the symbol.

7) Begin editing and adding elements inside of the symbols. Try doing so across the different artboards. ERROR OCCURS.

Thanks again :)  It's all part of the same problem (the artboard-reparenting of the symbol changes the symbol's 'parent' object, which makes it think it has been detached somehow when it shouldn't have been)

I'll sort it out - sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime... :(

Matt

I have some issues with symbols, too.

But first, let us prove that I am doing it right.

1) Create text element and place an image below it (centered). Group them together and create a symbol of that group. (Symbol 1)

2) Drag and Drop that symbol into the artboard (Symbol 2), click on the "sync" button – syncing should be off.

3) Edit the text content and color of Symbol 2. (not syncing)

4) Enable syncing.

5) Re-center (select both and click in the alignment panel on horizontal center) the text element to the image below it. (Symbol 2)

Expected behavior:

The image and text should be centered (Symbol 2) and the image of Symbol 1 stays centered to its text element, since I don't change its "centered" position.

What I get:

The image of Symbol 1 changes its position too. (Bug or feature?) If feature, I suggest to implement this. It would be really helpful to keep symbols centered (only through the alignment panel).

But I am not done:

6) Click on sync button, again (sync off).

7) Center image and text of Symbol 2.

Expected behavior:

Position should not be synced and the image of Symbol 1 stays at position.

What I get:

Image of Symbol 1 changes evenly with Symbol 2 position, even with disabled syncing.

I hope the issue is clear. OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, iMac (end 2013), Affinity Designer 1.5.1

Hi, I'm having trouble getting symbols to work as expected with nested symbols, when deleting nested items. After this situation occurs, the document is no longer editable, and AD becomes unstable and invariably crashes soon after. Here's a screencast ...

http://recordit.co/WRsZJ0ySXV

Secondly, double-click to edit nested symbols sometimes doesn't work properly, when you get to the lowest level symbol, double-clicking doesn't make it editable. If I zoom in or zoom out, then it then works as expected.

Keep up the good work!