You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'd like to clarify the role of the 'Document' when using artboards.

I've created a number of files to combine into a single brochure and each one is on an artboard (to ease the final PDF export).

To create the combined file I wanted to start with a blank document and embed all the files as kind of 'pages' in the order of my choosing.

The problem I find is that the default 'Document' on a blank new file can't be deleted, except when you create an artboard, then it disappears (superceded by the artboard).

So I have to start with one of my 'pages', then add more artboards, then re-save the file. But the starting 'page' won't be embedded in the same way as the rest.

It just feels slightly disjointed and I wonder if I'm approaching this wrong?

The problem I find is that the default 'Document' on a blank new file can't be deleted ...

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this, but the document is the file you are creating. When you start with a blank file, it has no layers, so there is nothing in it to delete or to be superseded by anything else. Creating artboards populate the Layers panel, the 'containers' for whatever you put in them.

Does this make sense to you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Checkmate,

Create a new document with the option Create Artboard checked. Delete the artboard then go to the other files you have and copy/paste each artboard (layer) in the new document you have created. Then Export as PDF. Each artboard will be exported in its own PDF page.

I think the confusion was where I created a blank document, then imported my 12 pages, but none of them were placed on the default 'page'. So I had 13 items in total.

But I now realise I had to create artboards under the embedded files to get them to export anyway, which removed the default page!

I guess the default 'page' is not an artboard but sort of behaves like one? What actually is it?

• Staff

I'm not sure why you are embedding the files into a single document when you can have all the artboards directly inside a single document. You are still able to export each one individually or all in the same PDF export if needed.

No, the default document (without Create Artboard option checked) is not an artboard. You have to "convert" it into an Artboard selecting the Artboard Tool and clicking the Insert Artboard button.

I think it was my misunderstanding of what happens when you 'place' an .afdesign document into another. I figured it would place the whole document, artboards and all.

Now I realise I have to make artboards under any placed .afdesign documents. Could there be an option to include a document's artboard(s) when importing it?