You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects masked inside objects doesn’t get updated when parent is modified

Objects masked inside objects doesn’t get updated when parent is modified

dfa70f5d66984715a8582f2f570d667a.png

Step one: create cute bird with suitcase :D

In this example the wing of the bird is a circle inside the triangle.

Now if i want to change color and stroke width, i would select the whole object and apply the attributes.

However, anything that is masked inside an object, will not update. You can see the color and stroke width is the same on the wing on the right picture.

I can understand that this could be a desired effect when working with background colours thta mask other objects,

but if you design icons, or illustrations, a shitloads of times you want to change stroke width, and color on the whole object. (illustrator works this way)

Imagine if i have an object masked inside a masked object. I would have to dig in 3 times to change properties. That happens a LOT when designing icons.

Not a rep, visitor like you. I know exactly what you're referring to, and I tried it myself. Scaling doesn't work properly either, which is even worse. The simplest solution is probably to have some kind of checkbox to select whether your edits affect content of your selection or just the container. Another, more refined fix is to have the Node tool select the nodes of all objects that are inside a selection marquee, whether they are parents or children/content. Any edit you make should then affect all objects fully or partially selected. This would give granular control.

I hope that made sense, it got a bit involved :)

Edit: Shift-click lets you set properties of container + content, but not scale properly.

some kind of checkbox to select whether your edits affect content of your selection or just the container

Yes, it could be just like the 'Lock Children' option that only appears when you select masked objects. There could be a checkbox on the Context toolbar when multiple objects selected [X] Edit all children.

Hi Highvoltage

This is the intended behaviour when you have an object clipped inside of another, and when drawing I find it very useful especially when it comes to using textures. That said though I can see the benefit of a toggle option so I'm moving this to the feature requests section as this is not a windows specific thing and not really a bug

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com