You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change the text flow to vertical while keeping up right orientation

I'm a new user of the Affinity Designer. I'm wondering if I can change the text to flow vertical while keeping the upright text orientation.

For example, Chinese and Japanese text can be written vertical direction.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/9/2019 at 8:23 PM, v_kyr said:

Somehow, occationally, by mistake, I have achieved this :) But I would like to get it back to normal. Any help ?

Sry, not exactly. It is just that the text is in the right edge of the text frame....

affinity.jpg

Edited by AJA

2 hours ago, AJA said:

Somehow, occationally, by mistake, I have achieved this :) But I would like to get it back to normal. Any help ?

Sry, not exactly. It is just that the text is in the right edge of the text frame....

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you provided a sample that showed it we could say for sure, but for some guesses:

1. Check the Text Frame studio panel, and look for an incorrectly set Inset value.
  2. Check the Paragraph studio panel, and look for an incorrectly set Left Indent value.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

When I open a PDF containing Japanese text in vertical format, Affinity Publisher does not display it vertically. Please look at pages 6 and 7 of the attached file.

Is there any setting in Publisher that will enable vertical text?

I am not a fan of Adobe. Trying to like the Affinity product line, but this is a roadblock.

Bombu_June_2020.pdf

33 minutes ago, Michael McCarthy said:

Is there any setting in Publisher that will enable vertical text?

No. None of the Affinity applications support vertical or right-to-left text.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I cannot believe the software is lacking such a basic feature we're in 2021 companies are developing quantum computers and Affinity Designer team has not been able to release vertical text, this along with not being able to hide the bonding boxes when editing text is a deal breaker.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Just now, MikeTO said:

No, but you could build on this idea by drawing a full page text frame and dividing it into lots of narrow columns.

You mean, then paste it column by column? Not very realistic for a lot of text right? Or is there any way for it to switch to next column automatically at the end of each column?

10 hours ago, rocthered said:

You mean, then paste it column by column? Not very realistic for a lot of text right? Or is there any way for it to switch to next column automatically at the end of each column?

No I meant by increasing the number of columns in the frame. This feature is just in Publisher. The easy way to adjust it is with the Context Bar - on the right side there are text fields for Columns and Gutter. These columns within a frame are automatically linked.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

21 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

No I meant by increasing the number of columns in the frame. This feature is just in Publisher. The easy way to adjust it is with the Context Bar - on the right side there are text fields for Columns and Gutter. These columns within a frame are automatically linked.

Uh I see. Yes that could do it. Thanks for the info!

But from what I learned it is only possible to arrange the columns left to right this way. The reason I sometimes need a vertical text is it is the Chinese ancient style, up to down then right to left.

Anyway. I also learned that I can ctrl+j the column and then link them with autoflow. That can also do it.