You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector based textures?

Howdy folks. I'm an absolute beginner so please forgive if I ask any stupid questions ;-)

I want to design a poster for my band and I would like to add some texture to the design.

A little bit like this (I'm just tallking about the texture, forget about all the rest ;-) ) : 534b47c2971fefccf7cea608ebd38827.jpg

I really love that vintage vibe that's going on in this poster.

I tried adding a texture photo as a layer and then blend it with my drawing but when I enlarge it the drawing looks great but the texture ofc looks very bad because it is pixel based. How can I get this effects in Designer? All help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello King,

If there is ever an example for Photoshop actions / plugins, that poster is a good one. If I were making it, I would use bitmap effects to simulate the faded/worn look as well (I have in the past). While one could simulate that poster effect using purely vector, it would be taxing both to build and likely on all but a powerful computer as there are going to be a bazillion nodes, a lot of transparency to "build" the faded parts, careful positioning of "grunge" vector elements, etc., etc. It would take minutes in PS in comparison to AD/AI/XDP, etc to keep it vector. (Astute makes some Illy plug-ins that can come close in a less painful to make manner.)

Much of the stuff I make contains a mix of vector/raster. As long as there is sufficient resolution of the raster elements, there is no difference in output. One either needs to use such raster effects on a design file that is 100% of output size, or use a scale and up the raster effect resolution accordingly. So if I needed a design file at 50% or output size, I would double the resolution.

Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike! Do you know any sites where you can download/buy hi-res textures like the one used in the poster?

I don't mind paying for it.

I tried googling it but most free textures are completely different than the one I'm looking for or not useable because they are low-res.

Thanks

Just do a search on "vector grunge pattern" without the quotes. One such hit near the top:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/28517083/9-Free-Vector-Grunge-Textures

Other than vector, if you have an image editing application that can make use of .abr type of files (these are Photoshop brushes), you may find them easier to obtain the effect.

Take care, Mike

Actually having procedural textures based on vector shapes would be a REALLY nice feature indeed. Paper grain could be achieved with combined random seed algorithms. Either that, or having the ability to trace, or define a portion of a vector group as tile-able symbol would definitely cut the cake for me ! 

UI and UX designer extraordinaire, dad, avid Destiny player, and generally striving for decency.