You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Swatches - A teeny niggle, a question and a request.

One of the great features in Affinity is the huge choice of palette styles. 

I like to select my colours from swatches which I find very quick and then use the colour wheel for fine tuning if needed. However I found myself getting rather irritated by having to keep switching between Greys and Colours in the swatches palette. In the end I solved this by building my own combo Greys and Colours palette which is saved to an afpalette file. You can see it here.

Which leads me to my question - is there some special reason that I am missing for segregating these two swatch palettes?

Which leads in turn to a request - is there any chance of creating much wider gradient palettes? They really are not very easy to read in their present form. I think it would be a huge help.

As ever thank you all for your exceptional standard of support. It really is the best.

post-9119-0-99451000-1476169738_thumb.jpg

Hi David,

if you go to the hamburger of the Swatches Studio (top-ight icon) you have some visualisation options including Appearance that allows to choose among Large/Medium/Small swatches.

Also, with version 1.5 (both AP and AD) you can use this very useful feature that helps to create colour palettes from pictures with a control over the number of swatches generated.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Hi Paolo

Yes I played with appearance settings. The difficulty with the large patches is that they are global to all swatches. They give me slightly more more readable gradients (but still not great IMHO) but they also affect my main palette of colours which becomes hugely unwieldy and loses its neat columnar format unless I drag the palette out very wide. I do think that long rectangular gradients the width of three or four swatches would be a vast improvement.

In creating my own palette I discovered the feature for creating palettes from Images quite by chance. It's great!

Thanks Paolo

They give me slightly more more readable gradients (but still not great IMHO) but they also affect my main palette of colours which becomes hugely unwieldy and loses its neat columnar format unless I drag the palette out very wide. I do think that long rectangular gradients the width of three or four swatches would be a vast improvement.

Yes, I do agree, even if I tend to use Styles instead of Swatches for gradients storage.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers