You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't crop an image- When I push the handles, the whole image moves...

Which app, which tool, & which handles are you using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm using the 'Crop' tool that is in the left vertical display. I saw a Tutorial that says that once you have that tool 'on' if you press 'c' you should get the Crop Box, a grid, that allows you to dimension and crop. But nothing like that happens in my case...

• Staff

Hi Shaft4623,

Which app are you using Designer or Photo?

If it's Affinity Photo, pressing C should change to the Crop Tool. If you aren't seeing any grid overlay go to the context toolbar Overlay dropdown and change it to Thirds Grid (or any of the other options).

If you are using Affinity Designer, the Crop Tool is object based (rather than document based as in Photo). In this case you must have an object selected to display the crop handles around it's bounding box. Dragging them will crop the object non-destructively. There's no document based Crop Tool is Designer. You must change document's dimensions manually to change the document size.

Thanks.. I'm using Affinity Designer, sorry, the video I watched was fore Affinity photo.

I have cropped objects as you instruct, and no problem. But what if I want to crop out some borders that are present ion the first image I import from my computer files? How Do I do that?

You can perform a rectangular crop by selecting the image, choosing the Vector Crop Tool from the left-hand toolbar and then dragging on the handles that appear around the image. Alternatively, place a rectangle or other shape on top of the image, go to the Layers panel and drag the shape thumbnail on top of the image thumbnail.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks! The first alternative doesn't work. I select the image, go for the crop`p tool, but when I try to crop using the surrounding handles, the whole image moves and it's not cropped.. Let me try the rectangle alternative.. Thanks again.. I'll return to you shortly..

• 3 weeks later...