You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - Fill space between two closed curves

Hello, I drew a pair of spectacles with the curve tool. I started with the outline of the frame, then i drew each of the lenses. Now I want to fill it with colour, so that only the frame is coloured while the lenses stay transparent - like glasses are. But instead of only the frame the whole space is filled, including the lenses. I tried several approaches, but no one did work. How can I do it right? I'm new in AD. Maybe the solution is super easy, but in the moment in can't see it. File is attached Thank you. 

Brille.afdesign

• Staff

Hi f-man,

Welcome to Affinity Forums,

Place the lenses layers above the frame in the Layers panel, then select all three layers and press the Subtract icon (blue square and grey circle with a minus inside the circle) on the main toolbar (destructive operation). This will subtract the lenses shapes from the main frame shape (creating two holes). If you press and hold alt while clicking on the Subtract icon Affinity will generate a compound object instead (non-destructive operation) meaning you can still have access to the original lenses shapes if you expand the compound layer in the Layers panel.

Hi f-man,

Welcome to Affinity Forums,

Place the lenses layers above the frame in the Layers panel, then select all three layers and press the Subtract icon (blue square and grey circle with a minus inside the circle) on the main toolbar (destructive operation). This will subtract the lenses shapes from the main frame shape (creating two holes). If you press and hold alt while clicking on the Subtract icon Affinity will generate a compound object instead (non-destructive operation) meaning you can still have access to the original lenses shapes if you expand the compound layer in the Layers panel.

Hi MEB, I see – and also where my mistake was: I arranged the layers in the wrong way. Thank you very much. This helped al lot!