You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The little things that really bug me :(

I love AD, but some little annoyances have become really abrasive over time. Here is my list of things that really really get to me.

After writing the list, I realize it could be read as an angry post, it is not. I am not *angry* or something, just annoyed :) AD is a great peice of software and I love it, I just wish it dealt better with the little details that affect workflow and work speed greatly (the repetitive stuff).

• All effects and dialogs start at 0. Why!? For example feathering, why not put a good default value like 1? Who uses feather at 0? Same goes for shadows/outlines/all effects. Why not start with a basic shadow, so we can see immediately if it fits the style?
  • You have to triple click to select the full text of an edit box. A lot of time you don't triple click well enough. Why? There has been exactly 0 times in 1 year of usage that I've had to change a specific number, and 100% of times when I need to change it completely. Could you make the number boxes single-click select-all please?
  • Dialogs don't auto select edit boxes. It would make workflow so much better. Apply thing > enter number > tab a few times > enter number > enter. Almost no wasted time selecting mouse.
  • Your shortcut/input stack is a little broken, sending clicks after a spacebar-move and things like that. This is a bigger deal, but that portion of the backend should be redesigned/rethought imho.
  • Placing an image, why do I have to rasterize it everytime? Why can't I just place an image and work?
  • The layer creation assistant is a little funky. I do not know how or what exactly is the issue, so I'll just flag it as a sometimes annoying thing where you think you are drawing somewhere/something and your not. It is definitely useful many times. I have not yet put the finger on the use-cases that "breaks" it for me.

Hope this is useful, lots of little simple things in there.

Good day

Placing an image, why do I have to rasterize it everytime? Why can't I just place an image and work?

Umm.... I think you do not have to rasterize it. (Though I work more with AP than AD I think is not so different..)

If you want to edit it you have to rasterize it. But I personally first want to scale, rotate and what ever it and THEN rasterize if needed. Keeps better quality that way when transformations are generated all at once, not one by one, repeating and adding incremental errors.

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. The concept of rasterizing an image seems, in my humble opinion, outdated. AD can definitely work with comps of multiple resolutions, imagine dropping in images and never worrying about working at highest res, because they always are at source resolution. Everything is best-res, and the pixel preview shows you the "flattened" preview.

I find, it would be sick :)

[edit:] I find, I also live in a dream lol

• 2 weeks later...

Having to rasterise the image actually makes a bit of sense to me. Until you do that, the image is a link to the original, not information actually in the document, and by rasterising, you change that and make it editable.

+1 for the dialogs defaulting at 0. I.e. applying drop-shadow, if you're not paying attention, your immediate reaction is that something's not working or being done properly.

and

+1 for text selection. I actually had one or two click frenzy outbursts trying to select text.

Although to me the greatest annoyance is AF not remembering options in dialogs. But I already complained about this in other posts.

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. The concept of rasterizing an image seems, in my humble opinion, outdated. AD can definitely work with comps of multiple resolutions, imagine dropping in images and never worrying about working at highest res, because they always are at source resolution. Everything is best-res, and the pixel preview shows you the "flattened" preview.

I find, it would be sick :)

[edit:] I find, I also live in a dream lol

Not a dream: it is indeed possible to work with the native image at the highest resolution in two alternative layer-based image editors via smart objects, for example. Node-based compositors work the same way as well. It is really a liberating and forgiving way to work, and I hope Affinity will allow for this at some point.