You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffinityPhoto - Advanced grain effect/development panel

Hi!

When I launched AP for the first time I said to me "Wow! Finally a RAW developer with grain control since 1.0 version!".

I think it is one of the most underestimated functions, useful not only in RAW development, but in graphic/concept design and rendering too.

I tend to use it frequently in concept paintings and illustrations too, in order to increase the analog look.

In future releases (even 2.x ones) I'd love to see improvements of Noise/Grain addition.

These are few suggestions:

• Possibility to have a global multiplier for the effect
  • Ability to control HMS distribution of grain
  • Size control, to match the perfect balance with resolution
  • Crispness (or Micro contrast) of grain to act with a sort of "posterisation" such as I used to do with chemicals in the darkroom
  • Presets to save these settings together and mimic film/development combo

grainSuggestion.jpg

Cheers  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Great ideas Paolo. I've posted on the forums about my distaste for the term "noise" because it is really not what we need as artists and is more of an "engineering" concept. Being single pixel and totally "digital" in nature, Noise, at least as most commonly implemented in software, is not enough, and your suggestions for all the parameters we need for GRAIN really explains that difference. Bravisimo, well said! ;)

Hi!

When I launched AP for the first time I said to me "Wow! Finally a RAW developer with grain control since 1.0 version!".

I think it is one of the most underestimated functions, useful not only in RAW development, but in graphic/concept design and rendering too.

I tend to use it frequently in concept paintings and illustrations too, in order to increase the analog look.

In future releases (even 2.x ones) I'd love to see improvements of Noise/Grain addition.

These are few suggestions:

• Possibility to have a global multiplier for the effect
  • Ability to control HMS distribution of grain
  • Size control, to match the perfect balance with resolution
  • Crispness (or Micro contrast) of grain to act with a sort of "posterisation" such as I used to do with chemicals in the darkroom
  • Presets to save these settings together and mimic film/development combo

grainSuggestion.jpg

Cheers  :)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

@​ronnyb

Ah ah! Thanks!

My english level is not good enough to claim anything about naming  :D

Today I think that noise is the right term due to its nature.

Moving toward a "Grain" concept could need a renaming for sure.

I left Gaussian/Colour checks there, but maybe to reach that sort of controls they need other algorithms... Perlin maybe?

Or even hi-resolution samples from real films...

@Fixx

Never heard about Lumpy... I'll check.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Yeah Paolo I would love to have both digital noise AND grain creation tools. Both have their purpose and uses. But grain is SOOO important in a photo conpositing app when trying to match elements from different sources and resized to different scales...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17