You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've read there's a "new color picker" (eyedropper) in AD 1.5 (source). That's really great news.

...but i don't see any improvements to that thing. And i can't find more information about it.

• How to use the new one?
  • What's the hot key?
  • Why there are no details about it?

I don't use Photoshop and never used Illustrator. 

Hi Macoun,

Your questions can be answered using the help menu..

As for the shortcut, you can assign one under preferences - keyboard shortcuts. The help menu says the key is {I} but my wasn't assigned so I went in and assigned the shortcut I wanted.

Allan

post-9020-0-57369200-1476029037_thumb.png

post-9020-0-10616600-1476029047_thumb.png

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Hello Allan.

Your questions can be answered using the help menu..

Nope.

When i search for color picker i got no result. Because it's not my language. When i search for such terms in my language. I see just a spinning wheel or get a "nothing found".

As for the shortcut, you can assign one under preferences - keyboard shortcuts. The help menu says the key is {I} but my wasn't assigned so I went in and assigned the shortcut I wanted.

The key "I" does nothing here. Like several others keys. And dragging does also nothing.

post-26436-0-39279700-1476032677_thumb.png

post-26436-0-10020300-1476032687_thumb.png

Ok, maybe someone from the team will jump in and and assist...

Have you updated to 1.5? What language is yours set to?

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Oh my... To get the magnifying glas for the picker tool, you don't have to click and drag from the tool icon. You must click and drag from inside the document view. *Facepalm*

Nope. There's no reason to do that.

The icon is not missing.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you was searching for the tool icon...  :)

When you mentioned about the dragging I imagined you was using the old one (in the Colour Studio).

Oh my... To get the magnifying glas for the picker tool, you don't have to click and drag from the tool icon. You must click and drag from inside the document view. *Facepalm*

Exactly  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

The "new color picker" listed between the great improvements of version 1.5. But what's the noteworthy feature? The icon in the tool palette? I miss the specific improvements. I don't see anything remarkable. 

You still have to run miles with the mouse to pick some gradients. I don't get it.  :(

The main difference is that the colour you pick up is applied to the selected shape immediately. The old tool stores the colour in the Colour panel, and a second click is needed to apply it to the document. If you also have a keyboard shortcut assigned, then you can change colours without having to move the mouse off the document.

Other differences include holding down the ⌘ key to pick the color into the document palette, as indicated on the status (tool hint) bar at the bottom of the window (along with the hint to click or drag to pick color, & the context bar "Presets" (called "Radius" in the Colour Picker Tool help topic, which is how it probably should be labeled in the context bar) that allow you to set differently sized square areas to sample an average from.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7