You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.5.0.23] Designer crash using Wacom Bamboo tablet on external display

Hi guys, as I have reported in other posts, after 1.5.0.19, Designer were crashing whenever I took my Wacom Bamboo Pen to use (until then I have been using the Wacom tablet without its pressure sensibility, but no crashes).

But it haven’t ocurred me to test the application with the Wacom on my laptop built-in display, and vois-là, it at last recognized the tablet pressure:

I could use the vector brush as expected, though the cursor became the default system arrow and the pen button set to pan the image could only pan vertically.

But as I changed the application and the wacom tablet mapping to another display, Designer crashes after some pen strokes - some subtle changes, because the first time it ocurred to me, Designer crashes just on hovering the pen over the application window, before any strokes.

I tried many tablet mapping combination without any change in such scenario, but could use the tablet again on the external monitor when I left the “Use Windows Ink” option unselected; but then again no pressure sensitivity.

I cannot say if its a problem in the latest pen & ink improvements of Windows 10, nor if its related to the corrupted wacom driver mentioned in the 1.5.0.23 beta release fixes, though I have re-downloaded and reinstalled the wacom bamboo drivers many times, and pressure sensitivity is working in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Clip Studio even when the Windows Ink option is unselected.

Intel Drivers also checked and up to date.

The crash report is attached.

Any ideas?

I hope this report could contribute to the application excellence!

Here is my hardware and system description:

Affinity Designer beta build 1.5.0.23

on Asus K84C notebook

Windows 10 Pro Build 14393.222

Intel Core i3-2330M 2.20GHz CPU

4,00 GB RAM - 64-bit

Wacom Bamboo CTL-470 (driver 5.3.5-3)

db6415ba-f1b5-47d7-aaa8-0369a171b864.dmp

Federico de Aquino

Affinity Designer build 1.5.0.36 on Windows 10 Pro Build 14393.479  - Intel Core i3-2330M 2.20GHz CPU -  4,00 GB RAM - 64-bit - Wacom Bamboo CTL-470 (driver 5.3.5-3)

Thanks for your crash report, I can't immediately tell what is causing the crash, but I suspect it's due to an unusual mouse wheel scroll value being sent by the Wacom driver. We will try to replicate the same issue here. Can you tell me what Wacom driver version you currently have installed?

Hello, Mark, thanks for the answer.

My Wacom driver version is 5.3.5-3.

Yes, the highlighted option is enabled for me - took a try again with it disabled and could make more strokes than before, about 8 or 9, but crashed again.

Federico de Aquino

Affinity Designer build 1.5.0.36 on Windows 10 Pro Build 14393.479  - Intel Core i3-2330M 2.20GHz CPU -  4,00 GB RAM - 64-bit - Wacom Bamboo CTL-470 (driver 5.3.5-3)

• Staff

Hi federix,

I've spent a good hour using the  Wacom Bamboo (CTH-470/K) and I haven't had a crash. Pressure is working correctly with the 5.3.5-3 driver.

Issues I have ran into:

1. I can also only pan/scroll vertically. I tested this in another app and I can pan horizontally and vertically - Windows specific issue.

2. I have encountered the cursor being stuck on the standard Windows cursor. I can't seem to figure out what triggers this.

3. I'm getting a huge lag while drawing quick strokes. Have you encountered this? - Windows specific issue.

Setup 1
- Installed Designer 1.5.0.23 on a Windows 10 laptop

- Connected to an external screen

- Installed Wacom Bamboo driver 5.3.5-3

- Mapped everything as you described

Setup 2

- Installed Designer 1.5.0.23 on my Windows 10 desktop

- 2 monitors are connected

- Installed Wacom bamboo driver 5.3.5-3

- Mapped everything you described

After no difference on Setup 2, I installed our internal 1.5.0.24 build which still wouldn't crash however the white cursor issue didn't occur and pressure was working fine.

So I haven't been able to reproduce this crash on 2 different setups (annoyingly). Do you have access to another device where you can test it?

Hi, Chris B,

Well, I tested another display device (no other Windows machine to test though), and no crashes at all and no stroke lags!

I am no expert, but that would make me suspect of my graphic card limitations - do you know if Designer uses more graphic resources than other drawing appllications?

(such as Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, Clip Studio Paint, CorelDraw X6 and others, as all these applications never crashed in the same machine, display and tablet)

Objectively there are great differences between the two displays I tested:

• the crashing one uses HDMI connection and is using 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution (the recommended one) - LG IPS LED 23MP55 (23 inch)
  • the other that did not crashed, uses VGA connection and was using 1280 x 720 pixels recommended resolution - LG L177WS (17 inch)

My laptop built-in display uses 1366 x 768 pixels resolution (14 inch) and its graphic card is:

Chip Type: Intel® HD Graphics Family

DAC Type: Internal

Adapter String: Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Bios Information: Intel Video BIOS

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1664 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 32 MB

System Video Memory: 0 MB

Shared System Memory: 1632 MB

I just tested another thing as I thought while writing, in all those crashing scenarios I was extending desktop through the displays

******and switching the display desktop settings only to the external one did not crash!****

The lagging issues are felt only in the external display by the way.

I will try next to use the same crashing display using its VGA connection.

Federico de Aquino

I tested the external display that was crashing with its optional VGA connection, no crashes this time:

• I could use the tablet with its pressure recognized;
  • the cursor did not stuck on windows default (!);
  • it worked on desktop extended through displays (though, connected through the VGA, the display resolution is unsuitable to work)

I was, in the last post, suspecting it could be my graphic card limitations, but I face no problems at all working with the mouse in the crashing scenario, using vector brush with controller set to velocity, no lagging...

Federico de Aquino

• Staff

Hey federix,

Thanks for all the info - very useful.

To answer your  question, Affinity requires DirextX 10 and does take your graphics card/chipset into consideration perhaps a bit more than other designs apps normally would. 

You can try switching the renderer to WARP from Preferences > Performance > Renderer. I suspect the higher resolution through the HDMI is putting the extra strain on the system. I might be wrong, though. 

Thanks a lot, Chris B and Mark Ingram for your efforts and for the mention in the fixes list, although I am sorry to say that it still hasn't worked for me.

Changing Renderer to WARP made the performance get worse, and while trying to use the Wacom Bamboo the crash happened even faster; couldn't make any strokes this time.

I tried the WARP setting both in 1.5.0.23 and 1.5.0.24 beta releases.

Nothing regarding this topic has changed between both versions, but as it seems it's something happening only with my machine and devices, I won't keep bothering you.

I won't be able to do a system reset or a fresh install so soon, but whenever I can I'll try it too - for now it's completely acceptable for me to change display settings to work with my Wacom Bamboo in Designer, I got to confess the software won my mind and heart, I tried already to work back in Illustrator and it seemed old and boring :) .

I'll keep this post updated if I find something.

Thanks once more for your help and attention!

Federico de Aquino

Hi, Chris and Mark,

No other Wacom model driver was ever installed in this system.

I have tried to downgrade the driver version once, to 5.3.2-1, but it was after my last crash report; same crash though and haven't had the time to try other versions yet.

I don't now if it's the usual way of addressing things internally, but I 've found that in Device Manager the Wacom tablet driver version is 3.2.1.1, while in the Wacom Preferences the version is 5.3.5-3, as expected.

Federico de Aquino

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.