You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.5.0.23] Pixel Persona "accuracy"

And hello again.

I discovered something in the Pixel Persona again.

I am unsure how to call it, maybe it is expected but for Affinity Photo it might be to inaccurate?

• paint a line in Pixel Persona
  • cut a slice out of it
  • paste it multiple times to the same place back

Effect: This does change the "information" of the image and it "grows" the line "thicker".

Expected: It does always look the same.

But this might come from the automatic calculation for the lighter pixel at the broders.

Another thing I already reported in the past:

(https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22627-1506-pixel-persona-cutpaste-distortion/)

If I cut and paste the slice to the same location it renders white borders around it and it will be seen if the image gets exported to PNG.

It does NOT get exported if one creates a new document and selects "Photo" but it DOES get exported if I change another document to Photo afterwards.

Attached some small videos.

2016-10-07_Pixel.zip

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

Hi af-user,

Just as a regular user, I would say:

Regarding thickening line: Anti-aliased pixels stacked on top of another wil get darker and the line thickens. Inevitable with anti-aliasing.

Regarding cut and paste selection: Does deselecting between cutting and pasting solve this problem? I'd expect if a pixel is 'half' selected, you'll cut 50% opacity. And paste back in with the selection still active you'll paste half of 50% on top of it resulting in 50+25=75% opacity when cutting and pasting back in.

Enabling snap to pixel grid would solve it too.

Thanks biscuit,

anti-aliasing that's the name I was searching for the process.

If this would happen in Affinity Photo I would not expect it to work like this, as it doesn't behave like this in all other pixel editors I know, like PhotoShop, Paint(.Net), ...

And for the white line, if you try it and zoom in you will see that it is the line between the pixels, not something one could edit. And this still doesn't explain, why it doesn't happen wehn you create a new document as "Photo" and then export a PNG.

There must be something different.

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.