You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5.2 - Beta 2)

• Staff

Purpose: Stability & Critical fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5.2 Beta 2 Here

This beta is intended to fix any critical issues found in the current App Store version and should be considered to be more stable than the App Store product.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes:

• Resolved Font enumeration crashes at startup
  • Fix for Assets being dropped into the Asset Panel even when it is collapsed - which explains why some people are seeing an inability to move objects to certain areas of the screen (it's because the panel is still getting tested as though it was not collapsed and you're creating assets every time you move!)
  • Fix for crash seen when creating Assets from objects like Masks that perhaps have no dimensions by themselves
  • Fix for renaming Assets causing a crash
  • Fix for inability to change paragraph leading

• Staff

The copy/paste issues still haven’t been solved :)

Are we talking about copy/paste with constraints onto different artboards? If so, is it just a subset of constraints that are showing the problem? Could you tell me which combination of constraints aren't moving for you?

I'm trying to stabilise any critical (crashing) issues at this point so that's where the focus is, then I can move on to usability/bugs :)

I noticed in 1.5.0-1 that at various points (seemingly indeterminate) the selection box of my object flashes when interacting, moving, scaling, etc. Additionally, sometimes the selection box of the object will disappear until the object is moved again, even though it's selected. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,

• Staff

We experienced flashing only after minimising and restoring, is that your experience? Only a restart stopped it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

We experienced flashing only after minimising and restoring, is that your experience? Only a restart stopped it.

This issue occurred without minimizing. It might present itself more often when I'm switching back and forth between different snapping modes (e.g., All vs. Immediate Layers).

Are we talking about copy/paste with constraints onto different artboards? If so, is it just a subset of constraints that are showing the problem? Could you tell me which combination of constraints aren't moving for you?

I'm trying to stabilise any critical (crashing) issues at this point so that's where the focus is, then I can move on to usability/bugs :)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/25670-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15-rc1/check my post there. I attached a video as well. :)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

Hi Vlad,

I spotted the video the other day, which was why I was asking about constraints - I'm guessing those items have constraints on them and it's a specific set of constraints that cause the issue?

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi Vlad,

I spotted the video the other day, which was why I was asking about constraints - I'm guessing those items have constraints on them and it's a specific set of constraints that cause the issue?

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I didn’t change the constraints at all. Just those scaling ones enabled by default. 

and another group items bug. When I try to group, objects move to another artboard... even if they are already on current one. Ok, so I had a boolean and when I tried to group it made a group called constraints(no idea why)

Check attached video.

Thanks,

Vlad

bug grouping.mov

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

When combining several curves the program freezes on me every time. I have many curves and a rectangle selected, then i select combine, the progress bar shows blue to the end but it never finishes and whole program freezes.

I am using the attached file an an example. Please correct when you can. Thank you for all of the other updates!

update 10/09/16- I think the problem is that with so many objects being combined (over 6,000) it is just taking longer to process. However, the Mac software shows a full progress bar when there hasn't been that much progress in reality. On the windows version, it shows a gif that it is processing. I tried it again using much less objects to combine and it almost finished the job before I stopped it. It took several minutes and i'm sure most of the timing was due to my older computer's processing power. Thanks.

Stone Pattern 2.afdesign

Fixes:

• Fix for Assets being dropped into the Asset Panel even when it is collapsed - which explains why some people are seeing an inability to move objects to certain areas of the screen (it's because the panel is still getting tested as though it was not collapsed and you're creating assets every time you move!)

Thanks. This was giving me a headache. Glad it's fixed. It seems to be ok in the MAS version as well now!

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Guys, am I crazy or symbols just don't work?

I create a symbol, I put it everywhere I need it, but after some time, they got dashed everywhere and they're basically not symbols anymore because changes are not reflected on every other symbols…

What am I doing wrong? I'm not detaching them nor turning the "sync" option off.

I'm going crazy  :angry:

post-30307-0-10730800-1476010698_thumb.png

• Staff

Guys, am I crazy or symbols just don't work?

I create a symbol, I put it everywhere I need it, but after some time, they got dashed everywhere and they're basically not symbols anymore because changes are not reflected on every other symbols…

What am I doing wrong? I'm not detaching them nor turning the "sync" option off.

I'm going crazy  :angry:

I'm just not seeing this - mine seems to be working very reliably? It might be a particular 'thing' you're doing or a problem with a particular type of object/command that you perform? Is there any chance you might send me a document that is 'broken' like the one above and I can see if there's anything obviously wrong? Send anything to support@seriflabs.com

Thanks!

Matt

Hi to the whole Affinity Team!

I discovered a small glitch recently. It affects both the Beta and MAS versions and is related to Sierra. (Had the same happening in other applicatons too, probably related to some backend changes made by Apple in Sierra.)

When renaming an element/layer/group/artboard and pressing a diacritics key (such us an umlaut (as in Äffinity),  caron/háček (čšž) or acute accent (áýé)) – basically any character not leaving a "standalone" glyph but modifying the following letter, the application throws an exception immediately after the accent key is pressed. The issue is not critical since the application does not crash and seems to be able to recover completely. 

Exception details in spoiler (for what they are worth).

Keep up the great work!

xception Name: NSRangeException
Description: -[__NSCFConstantString characterAtIndex:]: Range or index out of bounds
User Info: (null)

0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffa92df52b __exceptionPreprocess + 171
1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fffbd9b7cad objc_exception_throw + 48
2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffa935da0d +[NSException raise:format:] + 205
3   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fffa9257446 -[__NSCFString characterAtIndex:] + 102
4   libcocoaui                          0x0000000102889556 -[LayerTableView keyUp:] + 54
5   AppKit                              0x00007fffa706b4ac forwardMethod + 133
6   AppKit                              0x00007fffa706b4ac forwardMethod + 133
7   AppKit                              0x00007fffa706b4ac forwardMethod + 133
8   AppKit                              0x00007fffa706b4ac forwardMethod + 133
9   AppKit                              0x00007fffa708ba72 -[NSControl keyUp:] + 138
10  AppKit                              0x00007fffa706b4ac forwardMethod + 133
11  AppKit                              0x00007fffa706b4ac forwardMethod + 133
12  AppKit                              0x00007fffa708b9d5 -[NSTextView keyUp:] + 156
13  AppKit                              0x00007fffa775c8ea -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) _reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:] + 4340
14  AppKit                              0x00007fffa775b42a -[NSWindow(NSEventRouting) sendEvent:] + 541
15  libcocoaui                          0x000000010348d972 -[PersonaWindow sendEvent:] + 1586
16  AppKit                              0x00007fffa75fca1c -[NSApplication(NSEvent) sendEvent:] + 4768
17  libcocoaui                          0x00000001034a9de9 -[Application sendEvent:] + 793
18  AppKit                              0x00007fffa6ee2009 -[NSApplication run] + 1002
19  AppKit                              0x00007fffa6eaca8a NSApplicationMain + 1237
20  Affinity Designer                   0x00000001016e0c14 Affinity Designer + 7188
21  ???                                 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1

• Staff

Hi to the whole Affinity Team!

I discovered a small glitch recently. It affects both the Beta and MAS versions and is related to Sierra. (Had the same happening in other applicatons too, probably related to some backend changes made by Apple in Sierra.)

When renaming an element/layer/group/artboard and pressing a diacritics key (such us an umlaut (as in Äffinity),  caron/háček (čšž) or acute accent (áýé)) – basically any character not leaving a "standalone" glyph but modifying the following letter, the application throws an exception immediately after the accent key is pressed. The issue is not critical since the application does not crash and seems to be able to recover completely. 

Exception details in spoiler (for what they are worth).

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for letting us know. This will help us track the issue.

Thanks for letting us know. This will help us track the issue.

A quick update: Just heard from a different developer and allegedly this issue may be Apple's fault and should be fixed in 10.12.1. At least the developer assured me it was already fixed in 10.12.1 Beta 3.

Cheers guys!

Moving items is still broken in both AP and AD.

It used to be possible to move items without the the selection borders in the way, just by using the hand tool and moving the object with the arrow keys. The item usually jumped off position diagonally from time to time when moving, but it still was possible.

Not anymore.

Also, the marquee selection isn't measured. When I need the size of a distance, I have to copy and paste my selection, go to the selection tool and only then the size shows up in the Transform widget. In Photoshop this was much simpler. You just drew up a marquee select and looked at the widget for the sizes.

Would be great to have this. Also to do precision selections (the reverse if you will) by quickly dragging out a marquee select and typing in the actual numbers you want. Also for Affinity Photo.

Hi

Beta version stopped my AD crashing when renaming assets (thank you). However, drag and drop assets is not working. I can click Add from Selection and that works perfectly, but dragging across from the Layers panel does not work at all. 

I have a Macbook Pro 2015 running OS Sierra 10.12

Thanks 

• Staff

Hi andykanu,

Assets can only be dragged into the Assets panel from the document itself, not from the Layers panel. I totally agree that they should also work when dragged from the Layers panel so we will add this, but it's working as currently intended :)

Thanks,

Matt

Hi andykanu,

Assets can only be dragged into the Assets panel from the document itself, not from the Layers panel. I totally agree that they should also work when dragged from the Layers panel so we will add this, but it's working as currently intended :)

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks very much for the response. Dragging from the document works, so that's wonderful. It would be really good if you could also drag from the Layers panel, but at least I can now play with Assets properly :)

Thanks again

Andrew

I noticed the following miss-behaviour:

Place 10 separate text-objects one below the other, all aligned to the left. Then you select these 10 words and move them around with the cursor keys (let's say 10px up). If you now hold the ALT-Key and you are copy-draggig the 10 words, there are new 10 words created. While still holding the ALT-KEY and the Mouse-Button, then press the SHIFT-Key to have the new 10 words aligned eg. horizontally. The already existing 10 words jump 10px down. Or you can say the previoius movement done by cursors is reverted.

I am preparing everything to switch from Adobe to Affinity, since this software is totally rethought from scratch. But there are a few glitches, that bug while using AD on a daily basis. One is mentioned above. One is mentioned further done.

Tim

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.