You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5.2 - Beta 2)

I noticed a snapping glitch.

When I move a multiple selection of items (not a group), sometimes there is no chance to make it snap to other objects, even if defined as snapping candidates (with the "mouse over" thing).

Snapping in this scenario works always fine with artboard geometry (mid points and edges).

Here a video to show the randomness of this behaviour.

Sometimes it snaps, sometimes doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I am having issues with the PDF Export. Attached please find to images to see what I mean. Screenshot 1 is made within AD. The Pictures are compositions with different blending modes. Screenshot 1 is fine. However, when I export the document with PDF/X-3 I get weird color issues around the multiplied and other blended objects. Please look at Screenshot 2.

Screenshot%201_zpsvhhlv7pz.png

Screenshot%202_zpsgvy9vn42.png

Hi paolo,

Are you dragging the mouse cursor over the object to add it to the snapping candidates list?

Dragging just part of the objects over the object is not enough. The mouse cursor must over it.

[EDIT] I've just saw the video. Trying to replicate here.

If you want the file just ask...  :)

• Staff

Hi paolo,

I'm having trouble replicating this here. As long as the mouse cursor hovers the object you want to add to the snapping candidates list it then snaps as expected.

I see there's a moment in you video (0:12s) when you select a single column and it doesn't snap but i believe this is because you have selected  more than 6 columns immediately after, removing the single column you clicked before from the snapping candidates list, and so it didn't work. Without seeing your snapping settings i can't confirm this. Can you check if that was the cause for the failed snapping in your movie?

• Staff

I noticed a snapping glitch.

When I move a multiple selection of items (not a group), sometimes there is no chance to make it snap to other objects, even if defined as snapping candidates (with the "mouse over" thing).

Snapping in this scenario works always fine with artboard geometry (mid points and edges).

Here a video to show the randomness of this behaviour.

Sometimes it snaps, sometimes doesn't.

Am I doing something wrong?

I think I know what's going on.  We now add items to snapping candidates on selection.  So, if you select six objects, it'll clear out all the older ones from the candidate list.  This was a change we decided upon to help people more easily chose what goes into the candidate list.  I was unsure whether the candidates should be added when you select, or deselect.  Currently it's when they are added to the selection.

If you turn on the show snapping candidates option - you'll see when it happens.

You can still hover over the things you want to make a candidate while dragging your selection.  So - make your selection first, start dragging the selection, then hover over the thing you want to snap to.

For the example you gave, you could consider using the "Immediate layers" candidate mode instead.  You'd then not have to worry about picking candidates.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

There needs to be some better way of visualizing distances between objects when dealing with really small distances. Zooming in/out constantly is a bad workflow. 

I'll look at this today....

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I think I know what's going on.  We now add items to snapping candidates on selection.  So, if you select six objects, it'll clear out all the older ones from the candidate list.  This was a change we decided upon to help people more easily chose what goes into the candidate list.  I was unsure whether the candidates should be added when you select, or deselect.  Currently it's when they are added to the selection.

If you turn on the show snapping candidates option - you'll see when it happens.

You can still hover over the things you want to make a candidate while dragging your selection.  So - make your selection first, start dragging the selection, then hover over the thing you want to snap to.

For the example you gave, you could consider using the "Immediate layers" candidate mode instead.  You'd then not have to worry about picking candidates.

Ok clear.... Maybe I was the only one accustomed to the old way... :)  

• Staff

Ok clear.... Maybe I was the only one accustomed to the old way... :)  

Maybe... but I'm not saying it's necessarily right as it is now.  Your example shows that we may need to think a little more about how it works.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Maybe... but I'm not saying it's necessarily right as it is now.  Your example shows that we may need to think a little more about how it works.

The old candidates should be kept. I can’t get a multiple selection to snap right away to the artboard. Hovering over it sometimes doesn’t make it a candidate, so I have to select it. Then have to group the objects and then snap. Pain in the ass.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

Yeah ok... let's leave aching anatomy out of it. ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.