You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 6)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes, improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 6 Here

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity in which you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity Photo 1.5 cannot be opened in Photo 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

It's also worth noting that this beta is completely file-format compatible with the recently released Affinity Designer 1.5.1 in the Mac App Store - although the above disclaimer still applies!

Improvements & Fixes

- Develop RAW into unbounded 32bit - retaining full range as shot.

- Added EXR to batch output options. Batch jobs with macros can now be applied to EXR files.
- Neatened batch dialog.
- Add Text Styles to document snapshots.
- Show LUT filenames if there is no name metadata.
- Fixed issue where lens metadata was going missing.
- Fixed issue where RAW rotation wasn't handled properly.
- Better eye icon for macro edit panel.
- Improved image alignment algorithm used by stacks, HDR merge, Focus Merge.
- Improved tone mapping stability.
- Macros now have text boxes (in recorder panel and playback panel).
- Macro playback panel now shows arguments in the right order.
- Fixed some commands which were not macro recording properly.
- Fixed alignment of panoramas where an input image could go on either end.
- Fixed bugs where current layer could get deleted in panorama, liquify, develop, etc.
- Fixed green tint issues with Sigma X3F RAW.
- Fixed issues where white balance would not apply properly for some NEF files.
- Fixed strange colours when cutting / pasting a placed image.
- Live Filter commands can now be properly macro recorded.
- More control of aspect ratio when doing batch jobs.
- Solid fills on pixel layers now work when using the Gradient Tool.
- New punch tool in Liquify. Same in Liquify extension.
- Preferences option to control whether tool settings are sticky.
- Brightness and contrast - 32bit improvements.
- Place image - now honours the preference for default aspect ratio constrain.
- Command-Shift-Click on a layer icon to create a luminosity based selection can now be macro recorded.
- Curves threading issue in 32bit mode.
- Macro ability to continue recording after a stop. New reset button. The buttons icons still suck - sorry!
- Improvements to the 32bit colour editor (responds to view exposure changes, etc.)
- Fixed clamping issues with cubes.
- More adjustments made to work in unbounded 32bit.
- Various Sierra UI polish.
- General stability.

Please note that this list is exhaustive - if you have reported a bug and it is not listed here, it has not been fixed yet - but it will be soon!

We still have a lot to do before 1.5 can enter the RC phase - aside from improving all the new features, we aim to improve certain aspects of existing features as well as implementing Polygonal Selection Tool, Magnetic Selection Tool and Layer Linking. More to come..

Thanks again for taking the time to use this beta!

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

I reported this in Questions but didn't get any answers.  Just downloaded beta 6 and the clone and healing tool are still acting very strange.  This time it is occurring on a very large pano.  

In the Question section (beta 5) it was occurring on a large composition.

Both tools are very slow and irrational with a strange occurrence as the word preview is appearing at the top of the screen.  

What is happening here?  Using a MacBook Pro (Retina, mid 2012), running macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1 Beta(16B238c) 

post-12616-0-53573700-1475866708_thumb.png

post-12616-0-81423000-1475866779_thumb.png

post-12616-0-94263400-1475866833_thumb.png

post-12616-0-81900900-1475866868_thumb.png

Wonderful progress in Macros. A few things I've noticed (and I've only given this a few hours)...

1) Macros still don't seem to pause, and I still wish they would!

2) With regard to Channels, I can Save and Delete a spare channel. But, I cannot Rename a Channel. Nor can I perform an action from a specific channel. (For instance, if I wanted to save a Pixel Selection to a spare channel, I can do this. But, I cannot name the spare channel. And, if there happens to be another spare channel in existence already, I cannot perform an action from a spare channel of my choice - the macro seems to use the first spare channel it comes across. This is the case even if there is a spare channel I previously renamed something specific.)

Once I can Rename a spare channel and perform an action (Load Pixel Selection, Delete, etc.) from a specifically-named spare channel, I will be able to create macros for Luminosity Selections (which is my eventual goal here).

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

MBd...

I like the idea of traditional luminosity selections, and I have figured out a really nice way to create them (without ending up with a file bloated with extra channels). In fact, the luminosity selections I want to create make extensive use of Blend Options, and they are, indeed, really helpful. Until I can fully manipulate spare channels (using them as sort-of temp files) the macros only work if NO additional channels exist. I am SO close!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I am a little confused that in the release notes it says that I won't be able to open my Photo 1.5 files in Photo 1.4. I got stuck into using the beta because when I installed Design 1.5 I was under the impression that I would still be able to open my files in Photo 1.4. At this time it seems like I am forced into using the unstable 1.5 photo beta for production work. I guess I am still not 100% sure what to do now.

Hi KipV,

To say that you are forced into using the 1.5 Photo beta is gross misleading.   The disclaimer for file incompatibility between 1.4 and 1.5 versions of both Designer  and Photo has been there since the initial beta realises.  Serif staff have been very upfront about it, again, from the beginning and subsequent forum discussions especially after the release of Designer 1.5 beta1 (I remember Photo 1.5 beta was delayed).

Also there are discussion in the forum that Serif is releasing 1.4.4 MAS version of Photo to have backwards file compatibility with 1.5 Photo beta and also for interoperability between Designer 1.5.1 and Photo 1.4.4 MAS versions.    My suggestion is that you carefully read the release notes that accompany very beta release  (and also MAS releases) as they have good and informative details about the software.

I must also disagree with you that the beta's are unstable. I have been using the betas for production work mostly without any issues (apart from an earlier issue with exporting  to PDF in Designer 1.5 Beta1 which was fixed in Beta2) knowing the risk with the file incompatibility.    If you have been a beta tester for other software companies (try being a beta tester for Adobe), you will take your hat off for the Serif staff.

Please let's support them make a great software even greater and better that the Adobe chains of subscription will be removed from even more people.

Nana

This may be a bit far out for some, but what do you think about command-line access? A headless option to access the Affinity engine.

What I'd like to do is feed it a lot of images (sequence for example) have it run through operations and save the results into a specified location.

I already prefer the look of Affinity's scaling to Photoshop's as it is and it's one aspect I'd like to have available en masse. As a folder action even or a triggered action at the end or in the middle of another script. Especially helpful when dealing with large texture sets.

Why not try recording a macro for that...?

This may be a bit far out for some, but what do you think about command-line access? A headless option to access the Affinity engine.

What I'd like to do is feed it a lot of images (sequence for example) have it run through operations and save the results into a specified location.

I already prefer the look of Affinity's scaling to Photoshop's as it is and it's one aspect I'd like to have available en masse. As a folder action even or a triggered action at the end or in the middle of another script. Especially helpful when dealing with large texture sets.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

@Nana

I agree that the betas have mostly been pretty stable but betas still come with no guarantee that they will work. It seems like AD 1.5 could have waited until AP 1.4.4 came out. If there is a way for me to switch back to AP 1.4.x then that would be fine.

HI Kip

In all fairness to Affinity the release nots for the the beta made it absolutely clear in advance that there was no backward compatibility and gave an equally clear advice not to use it for production work.

That being said here's a possible workaround. 1.5 has an excellent PSD export. Export your 1.5 beta files to PSD and then open these in 1.4.3. I have tried this on a couple of quite complex images and it seems to work fine with everything preserved intact. Inevitably there are probably going to be some incompatibilities with certain features but I haven't discovered them yet. I must however caution that I have only tried this with 8 bit images.

Worth a try maybe?

Thank you guys for this beta. It just goes on getting better!

One request. When the polygonal lasso is implemented can we please have an open curve? The closed lasso can get confusing and drives me up up the wall sometimes!! Just my little two cents worth .........  ;)

• Staff

@Nana

I agree that the betas have mostly been pretty stable but betas still come with no guarantee that they will work. It seems like AD 1.5 could have waited until AP 1.4.4 came out. If there is a way for me to switch back to AP 1.4.x then that would be fine.

Hi KipV,

We intended to release both Affinity Designer 1.5 and Photo 1.4.4 at the same time, but due to some issues/crash reports we received after Designer's release we decided to delay Photo 1.4.4 a little until we know what was going wrong to prevent similar issues with Photo. This was an exceptional situation for which we apologise. We are doing our best to fix it as soon as possible.

Meanwhile using the Betas of both applications (for those willing to do so) will allow users continue working until a new update is available in the Mac App Store.

Here's the links to Affinity Designer 1.5.2 Beta 2 Affinity Designer 1.5.2 Beta 3 and Affinity Photo 1.5 Beta 6 (on top of this thread). Just remember to keep the respective Mac App Store versions installed to be able to run the Betas.

I'm not sure about running them from the command line...

But I would look into integrating Automator workflows with Affinity. I haven't tried it but might be possible since Serif uses so many native MacOS technologies...

You can run macros from the command line and have it be the endpoint from other applications?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.