MEB

Rendering issues: jagged edges / jaggies & antialiasing

I´ve already submitted a report regarding some rendering issues with shadow filters here that may or may not be related with this one, but both refer to rendering issues within Affinity Designer.

Attached below is a rendering comparison (zoom at 100%) between Affinity Designer and Photoshop of an icon with some edges (the white page edges) at a problematic angle. As you can see the jaggies are clearly visible in Affinity Designer. 

If you disable the objects Rectangle 11 and Rectangle 13 (this one has a filter applied) inside the Rectangle 10 object, Affinity Designer renders the white page fine (without jaggies). If you re-enable them again, the problem reappears.

What's curious is that in some very rare circumstances it renders the icon correctly even with all objects enabled. It depends on the order/combination of enabling/disabling you perform. If you try several times you may see it, but most of the times it fails.

I've attached the .psd, .afdesign and comparison image files in the Calendar.zip below.

Affinity Designer v1.0.17161

post-59-0-08324400-1405030130_thumb.png

Calendar.zip

Hi Miguel,

This isn't a simple problem - or a simple answer...

There's definitely something funny going on when layer effects enter the equation inside clips... I tried removing the layer effects and I get a lot better results, although the clip does add its own artefacts (as it does in all other vector software) but this is only visible at draw-time and never appears in the exported results: Take a look at this comparison table to see how the on-screen rendering differs from the exported image in both Affinity and Illustrator. It's worth noting that in Affinity you can choose to draw the (slower) exported version to the screen at all times by choosing the 'Use precise clipping' tick box in the 'Performance' section of 'Preferences' in Affinity.

post-5-0-03373000-1405076092_thumb.png

Basically, I don't think there's any terrible problem lurking here, but there's something strange happening with clipped effects that we'll have to look at...

In the future, we could look at adjusting our choice of gamma for our antialiasing ramp (it has no performance implications, it just affects the way it looks) so that objects draw differently, or we could allow a per-object user-selectable choice for this gamma ramp so they can make objects smoother/sharper? I'm not sure about any of that though, I'll have to think on it and see how it all works after we've got the problem with clips and effects working properly... :)

Cheers,

Matt

Oops, missed the development of this thread, sorry.

Yes the clipped layer effects seems to be the problem. Disabling layer Rectangle 13 (which have the clipped effect) makes the jaggies go away. That's the "bug" that i was referring to that needs to be fixed.

The other (related) is here and despite to seem a minor thing, all the competition does it right.

Thank for checking Matt.

Has there been any more checking on this issue? Just searched the forums and was checking into it (I've noticed it a bit before), but I have client asking about jagged edges in a large amount of PNGs saved out at @1x resolution from the current version of Designer, and after testing again all of the resampling algorithms seem handle hardness/softness of edges about the same. To me it's not too much of an issue, but it seems like in earlier releases Bicubic/Bilinear were a tad softer at the edge. Is there a chance these algorithms are still being finessed any?

For instance (this may not be helpful enough)—this is at 400% zoom, so I'd expect to see quite a bit of pixels on object edges, however as you can see from the central teal object, where I have a gradient layer and raster layer inside of the main parent vector, the edges seem more rough and jagged than other objects.

post-5843-0-98431900-1449856339_thumb.png

This is one more example that I'm trying to find a workaround for at the moment—it's not as much an issue where there isn't as much contrast with the color of the parent shape, but I'm guessing the raster layers are being antialiased slightly differently than the parent vector and it's causing some of the parent style to show through? *I speak in ignorance :)

post-5843-0-10467700-1449871684_thumb.png