You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For bizarre technical reasons I won't go into, I had to change Apple IDs when I updated to macOS Sierra (actually before, but this problem didn't surface until now.) 

Because I have a new Apple ID, Affinity Designer won't update to 1.5 through the App store. I get an error that updates are not available with this Apple ID. Makes sense.

What can I do now? Going back to the old ID is not an option. Can I download and install both Photo and Designer again ( I am a registered owner) under the new Apple ID? Will my Affinity registration still be good? 

I thank you for your help.

Don

• Staff

Hi Don,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Unfortunately your purchases are linked to your old Apple ID so the only way to update the apps would be to transfer your purchase from that ID to your current one or re-purchase the app. I recommend contacting the Mac App Store Support team regarding this issue as they may be able to move the purchase to your new Apple ID.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/mac/app-store/contact/

I hope this helps

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I sent an email through the system to the App Store help desk. They promise to respond in 48 hours. I'll post an update. 

Surely, though, there should be a remedy less harsh than repurchasing the apps for a registered user..?

Hello

I have the same problem. I can't update my affinity designer to 1.5. When I open App store, under the symbol of Affinity Designer is only "open" and nothing for download.

I have OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. So what can I do to update the new version of Designer 1.5

Best regards

Ricardo

Hello all,

The answer, it turns out, is to use iTunes and the old Apple ID, which did still exist but I couldn't use it for my purposes, and Authorize the computer using both the old and new Apple IDs. Then the app store will update from either or both accounts. 

Hope this information is helpful. It is difficult to find.

Best,

Don Hamilton

You must sign into the Mac App Store ("MAS") using the same Apple ID you used to purchase an app to update it. If you have more than one Apple ID, on the the Store menu you can sign out of one ID & then sign in with the other.

There is a novel approach recently mentioned in the Apple Discussions forums to simplify this, which may work for some: enable Family Sharing, set up the "family organizer" with one of your Apple ID's & join the family group with your other Apple ID. This will allow you to share apps that allow Family Sharing (including both Mac Affinity apps) purchased with one Apple ID with the other Apple ID.

It sounds a little crazy but it was mentioned in the private "Lounge" forum (accessible only to 'level 6' & above forum users) that this was suggested quite some time ago in another topic by a high level forum member & received an "Apple Recommended" so apparently it is OK with Apple to do this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...